Axle Shaft Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the same, but it is. I have a jeep Cherokee wheeler, I had a similar loud clunk from the rear, I thought it was a u joint, changed them with no improvement. Mine is spooled in the back, so no spiders or locker to wear out. after much pondering and frustration i determined, after flexing the truck out, that I had a worn bushing on the leaf spring, and it would sit ~normal~ while parked, bud would slop up and down while accel or braking. I have maybe 1/8 turn in my wheels from by backlash on my ring and pinion, and maybe 1/2 inch of rotation from tire to tire through the spool with 33" tires

OK guys sorry I have been sick an unable/willing to be under the car for a bit now. So it has set partially ripped apart now for a few weeks. During that time though I was able to talk to the last owner with what might be a revelation.

So the sorry goes something akin to this. Old men(60 Something) and the fuzzy not so sure stories. But all the Boss parts were acquired at the same time. But not all installed at the same time. The axle set in a barn for 10 years with the axle shafts out of it. Axle shafts got lost it seems so another set was acquired. Details get even fuzzier from that point of what they came out of. No background on the axles though.

Problem to me is could they have been installed opposite being that the axles aren't the same length but the difference is only a couple inches far as I can tell? Thus one side not fully engaging the carrier and trak lok?

I haven't checked the measurements yet on them to make sure they are the right axles in the first place.

Which side goes where? IE One is longer is it PS or DS

My shop manuals don't say and the haynes manual is even more worthless.

As always thanks guys for your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it I love the Summit Racing website some days it is so helpful. Moser is showing the PS Axle to be the longer one by about 4 inches. Also I have the lengths now so if I am up to it I will check them tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back