Back seat upside down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Recently I removed the back seat in my Mach 1 to do a few different things. I converted my 1/4 windows to roll down, replaced the crappy speaker wire that the po put in and I replaced the shocks. 1st time for me to remove the rear seat, which was a challenge with a bum left arm, but I got it out. Anyway, I noticed that the upper part of the back seat had a flap of material at the top. Well, as you all know that piece should be on the bottom, not the top.

I couldn’t figure out why it would be like that especially when you need something to fill the gap between the upper and lower parts. There has always been a gap between the two and you could see the metal that is underneath. It has always kinda bugged me cause it looked unfinished, but with the interior being black it wasn’t to noticeable so I never dug into it. Until I went to reinstall it, then I finally figured it out. 

The idiot po installed the seat back cover upside down! Unbelievable that he did that because he even cut holes in the piece of the material that was supposed to be on the bottom so the frame would go on the top hooks. I can’t believe that I never noticed the cover was upside down. I’ve had this car for almost 6 years now, but I don’t go in the back seat very often.

So I removed all the hog rings and turned the cover right side up. Not a big deal, just took awhile to do. Then I cut some black material I had and glued them to the back of the drop down piece so you couldn’t see the slices that got cut into it. Got it all back together and it looks so much better than before. Plus now the 1/4 windows roll down so it really looks great! 

So easy to overlook those things. You know something doesn't quit look right but you can't put your finger on it. Glad you found the problem and was able to fix it. Looks great from the pictures.

jpaz, you mean to tell us that the PO put the cover on the frame upside down? Was he blind! How the heck did the seat back even fit in the car? They are a bi*ch to fit I know, but wtf!

Glad you found it and got it corrected. It's mind blowing what some people do.

So easy to overlook those things.  You know something doesn't quit look right but you can't put your finger on it.  Glad you found the problem and was able to fix it.  Looks great from the pictures.
Thanks Kilgon. This is my first Mustang too, so I’m still learning stuff about it. I even had a piece of black leather material that I was going to put in between the seating. Here’s a pic of it in the car, but I wasn’t real happy with it. Put it all back together but I just knew something wasn’t right. That’s when I realized that the cover was for sure on upside down. So I had to take it back out and correct it.

You are really getting your car in shape looking great. The rear windows down will get lots of attention.
Thanks David, I got the stuff from Scotty S. after you posted that he was sell the parts for pretty cheap. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and that got me going on it. Thanks again!

jpaz, you mean to tell us that the PO put the cover on the frame upside down? Was he blind! How the heck did the seat back even fit in the car? They are a bi*ch to fit I know, but wtf!

Hey Geoff, ya he put the cover on the frame upside down. It actually fit no problem, but with the extra material that is supposed to be on the bottom, you would think that he could have figured that out. It’s not like the seat covers are some generic ones, these are the correct covers for this car. So why would he think that you would have to slice the material to make it fit? Absolutely No common sense! But after see some of the other things he did on this car, it just doesn’t surprise me anymore.

Hey Geoff, ya he put the cover on the frame upside down. It actually fit no problem, but with the extra material that is supposed to be on the bottom, you would think that he could have figured that out. It’s not like the seat covers are some generic ones, these are the correct covers for this car. So why would he think that you would have to slice the material to make it fit? Absolutely No common sense! But after see some of the other things he did on this car, it just doesn’t surprise me anymore.
Well John, look on the bright side...……. you'll have it all fixed up and correct for next August's Mustang Memories in Dearborn. 

I'll maybe not put my car in the "judged" class as it won't stand a chance against yours.

Honestly though, I can't believe the PO did what he did or that you did not notice it just looked wrong. But then it's your first Mach 1, so you'd have nothing to go by.

The good news is you did realize and fixed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car and meeting you, if not in August, at some other time if we can arrange that.

Well John, look on the bright side...……. you'll have it all fixed up and correct for next August's Mustang Memories in Dearborn. 

I'll maybe not put my car in the "judged" class as it won't stand a chance against yours.

Honestly though, I can't believe the PO did what he did or that you did not notice it just looked wrong. But then it's your first Mach 1, so you'd have nothing to go by.

I'm looking forward to seeing your car and meeting you, if not in August, at some other time if we can arrange that.
Slowly but surely getting it better, at least to me anyway. I’m sure your car is just as nice if not nicer than mine. Plus you have a 4 speed. 

I was bummed I couldn’t go last year but I just didn’t trust the weather that day. Was a good thing I didn’t go cause I started having problems with my engine right after that. Not sure if I would have made it back home.

Hope to go there this year and meet up with you and the others too.

I still need to start my engine and break in the new lifters I put in. I just tried, but no spark, damn it! Lol I must have hooked something up wrong....I’ll figure it out.

Slowly but surely getting it better, at least to me anyway. I’m sure your car is just as nice if not nicer than mine. Plus you have a 4 speed. 

I was bummed I couldn’t go last year but I just didn’t trust the weather that day. Was a good thing I didn’t go cause I started having problems with my engine right after that. Not sure if I would have made it back home.

I still need to start my engine and break in the new lifters I put in. I just tried, but no spark, damn it! Lol I must have hooked something up wrong....I’ll figure it out.
 Sounds good on all accounts. I'm sure we'll be in contact closer to the MM show at Ford HQ. Till then, keep up the good work You must have a heated garage to work in, lucky bugger! Mine will have to wait until it warms up enough to work on putting the rear axle back in...…. and that could be a while.

After reading this I am officially in the market for the roll down window parts. Where can one find these? And, could you post a part list?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I’m guessing you could get all the parts off a coupe . Should be easy to find.

Sounds good on all accounts. I'm sure we'll be in contact closer to the MM show at Ford HQ. Till then, keep up the good work You must have a heated garage to work in, lucky bugger! Mine will have to wait until it warms up enough to work on putting the rear axle back in...…. and that could be a while.
Yes, I do have a heated garage. And yes, it’s awesome! Sorry not trying to rub it in but....lol. I wish it was bigger but half is for my embroidery shop and the other side is for the car. I feel lucky to have what I have so I’m happy with it.

After reading this I am officially in the market for the roll down window parts. Where can one find these? And, could you post a part list?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Hey Tony, I went by Flatback 72’s tutorial. I did everything he did, except for the part about installing the glass after the guide is put in. He says to do it separately, but I was able to get the window in the car attached to the guide all at once. Everything has to be loose, then tightened up afterwards, but other than that I would go by his tutorial. He lists and shows all of the stuff that is needed. If you have any questions or need help just let me know. I just tried to post the link but couldn’t. I’m sure you will find it. 

Oh and I got all the stuff from a guy named Scotty Strickland on the FB page. I guess he does some rebuilding and scraps Mustangs. He’s located in North Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I do have a heated garage. And yes, it’s awesome! Sorry not trying to rub it in but....lol. I wish it was bigger but half is for my embroidery shop and the other side is for the car. I feel lucky to have what I have so I’m happy with it.

John, like I said, lucky bugger! 

Out of curiosity, is your embroidery business a full time venture or a side line to support your Mustang passion? Looks like it's a pretty serious set-up you have. Not to pry, but you put the pic out there.

One thing that I'm curios about with the windows, how well do they seal against the body? I know the fixed ones never fitted that well and often leaked causing rust out below them. I sealed mine when the car was stripped back in 2014.

Out of curiosity, is your embroidery business a full time venture or a side line to support your Mustang passion? Looks like it's a pretty serious set-up you have. Not to pry, but you put the pic out there.

One thing that I'm curios about with the windows, how well do they seal against the body? I know the fixed ones never fitted that well and often leaked causing rust out below them. I sealed mine when the car was stripped back in 2014.
Ya that’s what I do.

The windows actually fit very well when closed. Looks like they seal up pretty good, hopefully I will never find out, lol. But I do think that they will be ok if I get caught in the rain. They didn’t leak before, but the roof rail did cause the idiot who did the restoration didn’t put any caulk or anything in there to seal it. I can do that a lot easier now.

Ya that’s what I do.

The windows actually fit very well when closed. Looks like they seal up pretty good, hopefully I will never find out, lol. But I do think that they will be ok if I get caught in the rain. They didn’t leak before, but the roof rail did cause the idiot who did the restoration didn’t put any caulk or anything in there to seal it. I can do that a lot easier now.
 Ah, I see. Thanks.

Back