Backspacing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be close but only 1/2" out further than a std 8x15" Magnums with 4.5" backspace. Tires would be the deal breaker. I would prefer to attempt to mount them before spending the money.

I don't know if this will help you, but I'm running 15x8 American racing 200s on the rear with a 4.75 backspacing and I do have to use air shocks to keep the body off the sidewalls.

The wheels your considering do look really sweet! I've always liked the look of the "Slots"! ::thumb::

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be close but only 1/2" out further than a std 8x15" Magnums with 4.5" backspace. Tires would be the deal breaker. I would prefer to attempt to mount them before spending the money.
That's going to be kind of tricky since I can't drive my car to get them. I'm more worried about the fronts rubbing.

I ran a 255-70-15 on 8" magnums which were very close on the quarter panel. My estimation is these wheels will be 1" further out than the Magnums (1/2" less back spacing + 1/2" wider wheel). I think they would fit but you will not be able to run much tire.

I have the same rim, they'll fit but they'll rub with tires on. I put 255 60 15 tire with a 15x8.5 rim and I had to put shackles on due to rubbing

Sorry if I forgot to mention that they have tires on them and they are 245/60R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/As.

I would think they'd be OK on the front.

I have seen 15x10's with 295/50 BFG's on the rear. Don't know what backspace they had.

Even if the fronts did rub, I'd believe strongly that minor inner lip massaging would work. If not, sell 'em and use 7 inchers. You'd still be ahead of the game.

I'd snap that deal up. Been looking for a local deal on those particular wheels used for years now.

Those tires will be nice and thick without sticking out, but depending on softness of your leafspring and shock, you might run into some rubbing on bumps like i did.

I would think they'd be OK on the front.

I have seen 15x10's with 295/50 BFG's on the rear. Don't know what backspace they had.

Even if the fronts did rub, I'd believe strongly that minor inner lip massaging would work. If not, sell 'em and use 7 inchers. You'd still be ahead of the game.

I'd snap that deal up. Been looking for a local deal on those particular wheels used for years now.
I have some 7" wide slots with 3.5" backspacing. I was looking for something a little wider for the rear when I came across these. I'll go have a look at them because from what I see they look pretty good for 400 bucks.

Those tires will be nice and thick without sticking out, but depending on softness of your leafspring and shock, you might run into some rubbing on bumps like i did.
I'm running KYB gas-a-just shocks in the back and stock springs. I may get some 5 leafs but I'm unsure right now

8" rims with a 4.5" bs should have an offset of about 0" (I say about because the rim width is without the rim lip thickness, the BS is, typically an aluminum rim will have a lip 1/2" thick, but it can be as narrow as 3/8" which is roughly what a steel rim will have). An 8.5 with 4" BS will have an offset of .75". that means that the tires will sit 3/4" further out. Also, .5" wider rim make the tire bulge roughly .2" wider, so assuming that you're comparing them to 8" 500's with exactly the same tire, the outside edge of the tire will be almost 1" further out (.85"). That's a big change.

If we know 0 offset 15x8's fit well with a XXX tire then we should be able to figure out if just about anything else will work if someone can measure where/how far away the contact points are with what tire (especially helpful with a common tire with published dimensions like a BFG TA). Numbers for the front and rear would be helpful (I want to do this myself but my car has some mystery wheels (they look like Champ 500 knockoffs) with 4 different tires, so my numbers wouldn't be quite as usful, but my bigger issue is that I haven't had time to get my park working, don't have a parking brake and the car is sitting with chocks on a fairly steep hill, making it a BIG hassle to jack the thing and play with taking the tires off/getting under the car...

BTW, I love those jellybean mags, and a 15x8.5 should be a pretty decent size, I just have no idea what that offset will fit like. I think i'm eventually goin to want to go 225, 235 or 245/60-15 (probably on a 15x8 or 8.5) on the front and 275/60 or 295/50-15 on the rear of mine, but I'm going to want to get the stance just right... I'd love it if someone would have just the right (on a 15x10, but for the 275 I might have to go with a 15x8.5 or 9 for the 275). I may also decide to go with something like a 215/65 on the front if I decide I don't care at all what it handles like

Thanks for the info, I measured from the mounting flange (front and rear) to the outer lip using a plumb bob. I got 5.5" in the front and 5" in the rear. By my calculations the font will fit but the rears are going to be close and might require a little inner lip massaging.

I wnr to discount tire and had them roll them with an east wood tool. they charged me like 15 bucks or something like that to do my two quarters.

I would NEVER buy a wheel on craigslist without mounting it for a few reasons:

1. I don't trust the guy who measured the backspacing.

2. I don't trust the suspension parts I put on my car.

In regards to #2, I have the original steel wheels for an XR7. When I redid the suspension and went to put my original wheels on, they did not fit. They rubbed on the new controll arms.

My humble opinion.

I might also add, the only reason I would not recommend 14" or 15" wheels is the tire selection is very limited. Make sure you can get a tire you are happy with for the wheel size. I work backwards. I find a tire I like and choose the wheel last.

I would NEVER buy a wheel on craigslist without mounting it for a few reasons:

1. I don't trust the guy who measured the backspacing.

2. I don't trust the suspension parts I put on my car.

In regards to #2, I have the original steel wheels for an XR7. When I redid the suspension and went to put my original wheels on, they did not fit. They rubbed on the new controll arms.

My humble opinion.

I might also add, the only reason I would not recommend 14" or 15" wheels is the tire selection is very limited. Make sure you can get a tire you are happy with for the wheel size. I work backwards. I find a tire I like and choose the wheel last.
I agree, the problem for me is limited funds. If I were to work backwards I would be looking at 275/40zr18 front and rear, meaning I would be looking at 750-1000 bucks in tires alone plus another 150-200 a wheel. All said and done around $2000 in wheels and tires, which isn't that bad but it's just not what I can afford right now or in foreseeable future.

I did go and get them for $350 for the set and center caps and I'm pretty happy with that. (pics to come soon)

You are correct when you say the guy doesn't know how to measure backspacing. He had told me that they we 4" back spacing an when I measured they were 3.75". I won't fault the guy for that.

They are pretty flush on the back wheel wells and I haven't tested out the front, as I ran out of light.

Thanks for your guys input.

Back