BAD DAY!!! Catastrophic engine failure!! Updated pics of the carnage.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats indeed something you do not want to hear from a rebuild motor.. good luck man..

and +1 on pulling the engine, makes working on it so much easier

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope you can get her back on the road quickly!

Heartbreaking for sure. I am going to guess a dropped valve, it took out the piston wall.

Go to the 335 forum and start reading/discussing a stroker build. It will make you feel better.

Sorry to hear it died.

Hope it is fix-able

Was it bored over .030 by the first builder ?

I have several blocks and / or complete motors if you end up needing one.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I couldnt take not knowing what happened to my motor so after i got off work last night i tore the intake and heads off it. I know it would be easier to pull motor but i just had to see what was going on in there. Well everyone that said dropped a valve your the winner!!! #6 Piston is gone..... cant even hardly find any pieces bigger than a quarter. The cylinder has a baseball size hole in it also. bent rod and probably trashed the crank.

And it looks like the valve are the junk stock ones. WTF??? Not sure if the heads are salvagable??? One is good the other is pretty beat up.

Don,The motor was bored 40 over but i never had any overheating problems or anything like that. If you get a chance can you give me a price on a stock block?? I found one on craigslist locally for 250 but dont know anything about it other than its a stock bore 2 bolt main.

So looks like i have some decisions to make. I really like the cleveland and have always heard great things about them but I just havent had any luck with this one. Its one thing after another!! I figure 3rd times a charm right?? :huh: What i really want to be able to do is build an aluminum headed 408 stroker cleveland. So i better start saving up my pennies and dip into my garage money. This sucks.

Well heres some more pics of the carnage!!! enjoy

2h4ggvd.png

23sihh.png

opokd2.png

4zwccy.png

2qn2tc3.png

2qtd8ya.png

21kgx0l.png

I think i may have found my donor motor!! 73 ranchero. Anything i need to know about the 73 351 cleveland 2v??? What auto tranny would that be?? c4 c6 fmx??

Heres a link http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/3232113457.html
For all intent and purposes, the C's are all the same block. No advantage to be had for the 4 bolt blocks, although they do exist. Chebies might need 'em, Clevelands don't.

Could be any of the 3 trannies, its a crap shoot there.

I believe I'd have to package that valve up along with pictures and an explanation of what happened and send it to the manufacturer to see if I couldn't get a little assistance with your next motor.

Wow that truley sucks , I hope you get her back on the road soon

Back