Bad floor repairs...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma I'd like your opinions on. The PO of my car had work done on the floor. I checked it out today and found out that plain sheet metal was laid just covering the edges of the cut hole and then was welded onto it. So it was not welded IN the hole but OVER the hole. Please also have a look at the great appearance of the welds they left behind in attached pictures.

I have 2 problems with this:

1 - Used metal is flimsy coz it lacks inforcement dents

2 - The welds look like shit.

However, it seems to hold pretty well and doesn't leak and it hasn't rusted.

Normally I would not hesitate to cut it out and weld proper floorpan patches in however, the current patches touch the flange of the seat riser not really leaving me any meat to weld on after cutting it out.

What is the best way to go about this? I do not want to put in complete floor pans...

Thanks for your input!

Vincent.

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

I know you do not want to but full floor is the easiest and cleanest way to go.  The patches do not fit very good and you will spend hours trying to get them to butt up to each other. Full floor does not have some of the brackets either so you need to save your old ones.
It sucks how PO screws up a car. The 72 Q code vert I have had patch panels used in floor instead of full. Sucks but I am 73 and life is short so I am leaving not a show car but I for sure do not like it. I am having to hack up his NOS Ford quarter panels that he installed without using a chassis JIG and nothing is right on one quarter. Not doing anything until surgery. Pain is out the roof right now Dr. appointment tomorrow at 10:00 am hope surgery next week if they will do.

Drill out spot welds and remove seat platform and you will have access to good sheetmetal underneath. Cut out old nasty pans, weld in new. Just replace what’s bad.  

Hi there.  From what the pictures is telling me the welds look like there just sitting on top. No penetration. Do a lap weld is ok just as long as both sides are sealed. Butt weld would be much Better. Bite the bullet pick up some behind the seat pants and do it right.cut out old metal and install new with a good structural weld. 

I know you do not want to but full floor is the easiest and cleanest way to go.  The patches do not fit very good and you will spend hours trying to get them to butt up to each other. Full floor does not have some of the brackets either so you need to save your old ones.
It sucks how PO screws up a car. The 72 Q code vert I have had patch panels used in floor instead of full. Sucks but I am 73 and life is short so I am leaving not a show car but I for sure do not like it. I am having to hack up his NOS Ford quarter panels that he installed without using a chassis JIG and nothing is right on one quarter. Not doing anything until surgery. Pain is out the roof right now Dr. appointment tomorrow at 10:00 am hope surgery next week if they will do.
Thanks for your suggestion, I think I'll go through the middle and replace parts of the floor instead of patching the hole.

I hope your surgery will happen soon and bring you more comfort!

V.

Back