Bad Rattle from Passenger A-Pillar / Dash Pad area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
Wow, my car has a very bad, squeak and or rattle in the Passenger A pillar area, I believe where it makes contact with the windshield, or possibly, below the area where the dash pad meets the windshield close to the A pillar....i.e. in that corner.  Almost sounds like the windshield may be making contact with something metallic, but that is just a guess.  I tightened some dash pad retaining screws above the glove box, and they were a bit loose.  The A Pillar screws are as tight as I dare without breaking the plastic.  I  will also try tightening the screw exposed with door fullly open opposite the end of the glove box.  I fear I may need to pull the dash pad, and then the A pillar cover to see what is going on.  Any help much appreciated as to this!

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
In thinking about your issue I just remembered something. I had a sound coming from that area. Turned out it was the hood vibrating agasint a metal tab In that area. A little grease in that spot and the noise stopped and allowed for a diagnosis. And nothing had to come apart.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In thinking about your issue I just remembered something.  I had a sound coming from that area.  Turned out it was the hood vibrating agasint a metal tab In that area.  A little grease in that spot and the noise stopped and allowed for a diagnosis.  And nothing had to come apart.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I will check that thank you!

Brad

Wow, my car has a very bad, squeak and or rattle in the Passenger A pillar area, I believe where it makes contact with the windshield, or possibly, below the area where the dash pad meets the windshield close to the A pillar....i.e. in that corner.  Almost sounds like the windshield may be making contact with something metallic, but that is just a guess.  I tightened some dash pad retaining screws above the glove box, and they were a bit loose.  The A Pillar screws are as tight as I dare without breaking the plastic.  I  will also try tightening the screw exposed with door fullly open opposite the end of the glove box.  I fear I may need to pull the dash pad, and then the A pillar cover to see what is going on.  Any help much appreciated as to this!

Brad
I think I have found the biggest part of the problem. The screw securing the A pillar cover appears to be sllipping through the plastic of the cover itself, and providing very little tension on the cover as a result. Given that correct the screw fits almost flush, and has a small tapered head, there is very little plastic for the screw to bear against. I took a small washer, and placed it under the screw so as to distribute the load over a bit more surface area and tightened it some. The plastic surface of the cover dimples a bit under the washer, as that part of the cover is not likely reinforced very much under the surface. But it did reduce the rattle dramatically. I know the covers are reproduced now by Scott Drake, and are a bit expensive, and then I have to paint it, but that may be my best option.

I am considering pulling the cover and looking to see if I might fill the hole with epoxy, or some kind of filler, and then drill it out so I can place a screw through again and hopefully there is enough filler material left on which for the screw head to rest. Any other suggestions? Do I have to remove the dashpad to get it off? Any other thoughts / suggestions much appreciated!

thanks,

Brad

"I know the covers are reproduced now by Scott Drake, and are a bit expensive, and then I have to paint it, but that may be my best option." The reviews of the reprpoduction covers are universally BAD. They are made of fiberglass, and thus more brittle, and do not fit well at all. SO I need to make this one work, or find a VERY good used one!

thanks,

Brad

use some shoegoo or RTV sealant to hold the screw in and it will reduce vibration as it will be a flexible vibration stopper.

DON'T buy the scott drake reproduction it is really bad. doesn't fit and it easily cracks. I regret buying them.

I had a similar noise. The dash panel steel top uses 3 metallic clips that holds it tight against the cowl at the windshield, one on each side and one in the center. one of them was broken and the car vibration created the rattle noise. in your case the broken one might be the one in the passenger side.

clips are part # D1AZ-6504278-A

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good morning,

If you think it is the A pillar trim take it off and see if it goes away and you can eliminate that item. Same with the upper. If A pillar trim is not it pull the dash pad off. The pad has a series of I think 6 or 8 nuts that hold it to the metal piece. With the dash off drive again and if you still have the rattle chek the bolt on the right top that holds the dash to the cowl. There are also two coming from an angle bracket in the bottom.

Leave the dash cover and A post off during each test drive. Now there is a metal panel that is mounted over the glove box that holds any relays or black boxes related to your electrical system You can remove the glove box liner and get the this from the glove box and also look down from the top. You might have someone else drive and reach in that wiggle or move some things to see if it stops. There is a formed metal rod to the left of the glove box that braces the lower edge of the dash to the cowl check the bolts in it. Could also be something on you heater box to cowl. There are no other fasteners on that side of the vehicle that I know of.

On reinforcing the plastic on the A post cover I use two part black epoxy or I use J B Weld to repair broken screw holes in consoles. http://lprtoolmakers.auctivacommerce.com/JB-WELD-LIQIUD-WELD-SUITS-ALL-STEELS-CAST-IRON-P1424906.aspx

You can also use liquid black epoxy and add some fiberglass matt to reinforce the back side of the cover. 

There is also that metal tab that the side window might be rubbing up near the top of the A post. The part had plastic on it when new and wears off. You can re-coat in plasti coat. Clean it, heat it with heat gun and take small artist brush and apply the plasti coat or plasti dip. You can get at home stores like Lowe's in black.

The pics show the dash, cowl and A post areas you are working with. There is one bolt in the top rear of the fender that you can see when the door is open check it for being tight also.

Good luck just keep eliminating things and it will go away.

You can see I added the foil backed foam insulation to the cowl when I had the dash out worked great about 1/4". I used the cheap stuff you can get off eBay does not have advertising all over it like Dyna mat does.

Back