Battery recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Oh so close in finishing the old 302 and dropping it in. I really don't want to spend the price, $235 or so on a Autolite replica battery. Any comments on a good battery and size for the old 72??? Do you suggest a good trickle charger too???? The 72 will be a semi-daily driver next Spring or so.

I have really had good luck with Autozone batteries (haters commence firing :D). Limited use will generally kill a battery relatively quick but I've had mine for 5+ years. A good battery charger with a 2 amp setting will do. I generally hook mine up to the battery when I store the car and run it on 2a for a couple of days a month.

I've also had good luck with Autozone (Duralast) and Motorcraft. My worst luck has been with Diehards.

A 24F should be fine for your 302, unless you plan on driving (and starting) it in very cold weather and the I'd go with the 27F. The new part numbers will probably be different, and will be some number ending in R, meaning the positive terminal is on the right.

Most the batteries are made by Johnson Controls, I know they make Walmart, Diehard, Interstate, Duralast, Motorcraft and others just use different casings and labels.

As was said. Most all are made by Johnson Controls. Expect it to last 3 years and 4 months and expect it to die without warning.

I take care of 8 cars so I have lots of experience about it.

My batteries are all going to be bought at the Mercedes dealer from now on except for the wifes BMW.

$25 more for a battery and I won't get stuck with a tow bill.

Johnson controls plan is to buy out competitors and have you renting your battery through controlled failure and warranty replacement of the same battery.

Welcome to the new Amerika.

I refuse to participate. As a stockholder in different companies I could probably profit more in the short term but I know from history where this thought process goes, and I don't approve.

Best thing is to look at a european manufacturer. They are the only ones I see making a quality product.

Mercedes charged me $110 for a new battery. They came out to my house and replaced it in my driveway. They reset all the electronics and did it in 20 minutes. It matched the last two batteries exactly and both previous batteries lasted over 5 years before I noticed the starter cranking a little slower than normal.

Johnson controls batteries stop working like a light switch. No warning whatsoever.

1. The most reliable way to determine how "good" a battery and how long it will last would be to weigh it dry and weigh it with water. The heavier a battery for a given size, the longer it will last.

2. Johnson controls may make the batteries, but they are making them to the customer specifications and taking advantage of their economies of scale. I don't read consumers reports, but unless they dumped out the acid and weighed the batteries, I don't know that I would trust their judgement. Maybe someone can post a few tidbits here.

3. I have never had a Motorcraft or DELCO(yes I said it) battery fail before 5 years. I have had good luck with Autozone.

4. You would think some of these weeny car magazine would actually get some batteries and do a full blown technical analysis. If I ever win the lottery...

I'm of the belief that most batteries...like cars are built "pretty close" to the same qualities now days (exceptions are high end cars). Customer demands have driven out those who sold junk so everyone had to improve. I have four cars, all with different brand batteries bought from Autozone, Walmart, BMW, and Ford, they've all performed the same, none of the batteries have let me down. Guess which ones cost the most?

I use to hope for 3 years from a battery, now it's 6 or more years.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Two towing companies in Olympia. May want to add it to your phone book.

Great Northwest Towing

greatnwtowingolympia.com

845 Devoe St Se, Olympia, WA

(360) 786-0500

Summit Towing

summittowing.com - Info

525 Ronlee Ln Nw, #B, Olympia, WA

(360) 754-8858

Back