Beautiful Ford Pantera at a local car show.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
I was at a car show on Saturday and saw this beautiful 1971 Pantera. I've actually seen this car and talked to its owner a couple of times. He bought the car for 12 grand Canadian a few years back. Now it's valued at 125K. Not a bad return on investment eh!

Attachments

• 20220813_132515.jpg
    20220813_132515.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220813_132543.jpg
    20220813_132543.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220813_132556.jpg
    20220813_132556.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
I test drove one in 1989 thinking I'd love it, not so much. I passed on it for $10K. The pedal box was offset so your legs were sideways, everything rattled, and the shifter gates were vague. I was looking at as a DD. So I passed. Hindsight is really 20/20.
Chuck

I test drove one in 1989 thinking I'd love it, not so much. I passed on it for $10K. The pedal box was offset so your legs were sideways, everything rattled, and the shifter gates were vague. I was looking at as a DD. So I passed. Hindsight is really 20/20.
Chuck
Oh how so true!

As a kid I saw a movie with a chase scene between a pantera and I think a corvette. I can’t remember anything about the movie except the pantera. What a beautiful piece of eye candy, but thinking back everyone I’ve seen has been red. Did they come in any other color, or is red the only color? Talking about a chance to buy one cheap and not doing it, that’s happened to me with a bunch of cars. Hell I wish I would have taken care of and kept some of the cars I’ve had through out my life. My bank account would look a lot better.

As a kid I saw a movie with a chase scene between a pantera and I think a corvette. I can’t remember anything about the movie except the pantera. What a beautiful piece of eye candy, but thinking back everyone I’ve seen has been red. Did they come in any other color, or is red the only color? Talking about a chance to buy one cheap and not doing it, that’s happened to me with a bunch of cars. Hell I wish I would have taken care of and kept some of the cars I’ve had through out my life. My bank account would look a lot better.
I've seen one in Yellow and yes, I'm pretty sure they came in other colors as well.
As for missing out on other vehicle opportunities or selling cars we wish we'd kept, been there, done that, as I think we all have.
I should have kept my 1972 Q code Mach 1 and my 1967 GMC long box pickup truck that I bought for 400 bucks in 1976 and only sold it because I had no (extra) space in the driveway to keep it. At the time, I had 2 Mach 1's and a lodger with a Mercury "boat" taking up way too much of the driveway. Should have got rid of the lodger!

Indeed, glad they chose to put the good engine in it. But wait, maybe a Boss 302 (type) motor might have been even better. What da ya think?
I've always thought of the 4v ports as too big. I remember seeing photos of the runners with filler added by race teams to make them smaller. Then regulations of the 70s wouldn't allow for a big enough cam to use all that volume. The sound of a Boss 302 at it's redline coming from the back of a Pantera would be heaven though.

A Boss 302 with a 3.400 stroke, 5.400 rods, a more aggressive cam, and a better intake would have complemented the car a bit better. It even works well in my old Cougar. Chuck

Sorry to be a pedantic putz re the title of this thread saying this is a Ford Pantera...

..Alejandro DeTomaso was the man behind the Pantera - though most were Ford powered, it didn't come off the Ford assembly line - all originals were made in Modena Italy and the stylist was the great Tom Tjaarda from Ghia

in my book - one of the most gorgeous cars ever ...and I want one.

Sorry to be a pedantic putz re the title of this thread saying this is a Ford Pantera...

..Alejandro DeTomaso was the man behind the Pantera - though most were Ford powered, it didn't come off the Ford assembly line - all originals were made in Modena Italy and the stylist was the great Tom Tjaarda from Ghia

in my book - one of the most gorgeous cars ever ...and I want one.
Wellllllll excuse me!! While I knew the styling was Italian, I've always thought of them as Ford's. I learn something new every day!
By the way, how have you been, it's along time since we heard from you?

Wellllllll excuse me!! While I knew the styling was Italian, I've always thought of them as Ford's. I learn something new every day!
By the way, how have you been, it's along time since we heard from you?
I'm ok thanks -- going to finish doing up the Vette - move it on - then hunt for a 71 - 72 again ....but one that is a keeper this time

I like driving the Vette - I like to looks ... but I hate working on it ... my wrist isnt designed to gimbal 360° and can't go "S" shaped into the tight Vette areas.

Back