Belated Introduction from Butch and Son

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

Ray called to my attention that I've been around for a year and never got around to doing an introduction! Blame it on the growing number of gray hairs..... :p

We're located north of Atlanta in one of the fastest growing counties in America- it's gettin' crowded up here! LOL.

We moved from the East Bay of San Fran a few years back to get a bit more room and a better quality of life. Since my son was old enough to know what cars were, we've been talking about building a car together. So at age 14 (and as soon as all the boxes were out of the garage) we began the search for his project vehicle.

At first, he wanted to live the life portrayed in Alan Jackson / Brad Paisley/ Kenny Chesney songs- cruisin' in the jacked up CJ with the top off and moon up :D. It took one trip to the new high school parking lot to change his mind. While in Cali Jeeps were a rarity, here in this neck of the woods they are everyone's daily driver.

After shaking that vision out of his head, he turned to me and said, "Dad, how 'bout a muscle car?" YES!!!dancebanana

Now - which one?

We went down to Streetside Specialties for him to get a look at the collection of nicely completed muscle cars from the different decades. I had my eye on the convertible Chevelle (my first love), he was looking at a Firebird- until he walked down that row of Fords. He spotted that Mach, looking like a fighter jet ready to launch, and I could see the wheels turning...

Well, you can guess what we were doing for the next few months. We set a budget and started the journey. We looked at a dozen projects from the "ready to drive" (that had no interior, no trunk lid or hood, and wouldn't start), to the "just needs TLC" retired drag car. On one of the weekend runs, we saw an ad for a '72 Vert and decided to venture from our mission to check it out. The owner let us take it for a spin. Somewhere in those ten miles of top down daring, I saw that look in his eye. "Dad, how 'bout a convertible?" YES!!

We didn't buy that one (but I should 've). Within a month of changing direction, we found his car just 20 minutes down 400. It felt like it was meant to be. So following my sons choice, I've let go of my Chevy lovin' past and become a devotee of the Mustang, learning the challenges of owning the last of the first gen, the good the bad and the power of a Cleveland, and those particular quirks of a 73! :runninpony:

Thanks to the gang for putting this forum together- and to all for their unselfish assistance - I don't know where else you can find the depth of knowledge and experience you find on these pages. And the price is right!! ::beer::

Last edited by a moderator:
A belated welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. Converts are always welcome. Everyone has a past, the capable and determined have a future.:p Chuck

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada. Awesome story - glad you gave us a chance to give you a proper welcome. Pics are required, you know.

Hope to see you in the forums and to follow your trek through the world of 71 - 73 Mustangs. Nice to have you here!

Doc-

Check out My Garage- I have a few pix there. I'm working on the Build Thread so I can post pix and stories of the various mini-projects.

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from another Metro-Atl Mustanger!

Welcome from Cold and very snowy Ma. It's funny Ray is the one who pointed out to me about doing an Introduction too. I like your convert very tastefully done.
Who is this Ray guy??? :dodgy::blush::)

ray :sleepy:

Welcome from Cold and very snowy Ma. It's funny Ray is the one who pointed out to me about doing an Introduction too. I like your convert very tastefully done.
mrmach1,

Hope youll like the new pieces we just added:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back