Best aftermarket rear spoiler brand?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello. Looking to put a rear spoiler on my 73. Ive been searching around and have found people having problems with certain brands (splitting, some warping and sagging).
If you could recommend the best quality one that would be great!

CJ pony has the Scott drake and a no name brand.
There is also a fiberglass one out there for considerably more. I do t mind getting the more expensive one if it is better. I have already ordered the Cougar extra trunk torson bar.

CJ no name spoiler
https://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-spoiler-assembly-mustang-1971-1973/p/RS2/
Scott Drake
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-rear-spoiler-assembly-mustang-1971-1973/p/RS5/
Fiberglass option from Classic Industry
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/44210d.html
Thanks for the advice!
Manny

Hello. Looking to put a rear spoiler on my 73. Ive been searching around and have found people having problems with certain brands (splitting, some warping and sagging).
If you could recommend the best quality one that would be great!

CJ pony has the Scott drake and a no name brand.
There is also a fiberglass one out there for considerably more. I do t mind getting the more expensive one if it is better. I have already ordered the Cougar extra trunk torson bar.

CJ no name spoiler
https://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-spoiler-assembly-mustang-1971-1973/p/RS2/
Scott Drake
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-rear-spoiler-assembly-mustang-1971-1973/p/RS5/
Fiberglass option from Classic Industry
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/44210d.html
Thanks for the advice!
Manny
My car had a repop that NPD sells. It is claimed as the best repop out there. It certainly looks good, other than the leading (fat) edge is flat, not radiused like the original. It is made from ABS. I'm not sure of the brand name though.
I later bought an original for my Mach 1.
There was one advertised on Kijiji in Ontario if you want to go that route, but shipping may be expensive.
try www.kijiji.ca enter 71 mustang in search and Ontario in the area.
Good luck.

Attachments

• 44210-2_20210122100154.jpg
    44210-2_20210122100154.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I bought the same one that Stanglover referenced, except through Kentucky Mustang. It's far better than previous repops, most of which were way too thick (and heavy). If you cant find an original, that's the one to get.

The one in the signature pic below if the older, bad repop. The new one looks better - 2 pics attached of the new one. You may want to paint your preferred color (it isn't flat black out of the box like some).

Attachments

• IMG_3637.JPG
    IMG_3637.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I bought the same one that Stanglover referenced, except through Kentucky Mustang. It's far better than previous repops, most of which were way too thick (and heavy). If you cant find an original, that's the one to get.

You may want to paint your preferred color (it isn't flat black out of the box like some).
Interesting that you say it it isn't flat black out of the box. The NPD ones I've seen were all flat (or semigloss) black. Also NPD claim it is exclusive to them. I wonder!

Hope I don't get in trouble here, but this is a copy & paste from their website.

SPOILER KIT, Rear, concours, approved, An NPD exclusive reproduction! These are the most authentic reproductions currently being made, We were tired of the status quo in repro spoilers; a noticeably inaccurate reproduction that we constantly had to backorder to customers due to demand far outstripping the supply, So we went out on our own! We located NOS spoilers still in their original packaging and sent them off to have all new tooling created, We would not accept anything but the best and we believe we have gotten what we asked for, The wing itself is uses modern construction methods used in making spoilers and wings for current domestic and import cars, Strong, lightweight and smooth these wings come molded in black ABS plastic with a structural foam core and could be installed as-is if you desire, They are easily scuffed for paint and will look great either way, Die cast pedestals and stamped brackets have excellent details and the whole assembly slides together perfectly, And finally we supply concours correct fasteners from AMK Products for a final, perfect, show winning touch, Detailed installation instructions are included, Using original deck lids with factory installed wings for measurements these instructions detail the complete installation procedure, The optional deck lid support brackets are sold separately (442A10-50A), The wing is light enough not to require the prop rod but it is necessary for cars with weak springs and for concours level late 69 and 70 cars that would have used them originally with the heavy solid original wing,

Manufacturer Reference #'s: National Parts Depot 44210-2, D1ZZ-6344210-A, D1ZZ-6344210-B

Product Instructions and Additional Info:
44210-2_instruction

Last edited:
According to the seller, this is the same wing - I think I first saw this through NPD, and I'm sure they were the first seller, but it appears that later on Kentucky Mustang got the same product. Thinner wing, slightly flat front edge. At any rate, it is a much better repro than the thicker, bulky one that was on my car when I bought it. On color, mine was a satin/semigloss out of the box, and I kept it that way.

According to the seller, this is the same wing - I think I first saw this through NPD, and I'm sure they were the first seller, but it appears that later on Kentucky Mustang got the same product. Thinner wing, slightly flat front edge. At any rate, it is a much better repro than the thicker, bulky one that was on my car when I bought it. On color, mine was a satin/semigloss out of the box, and I kept it that way.
That indeed seems like it's the NPD one you have now. IF I were in need of a repop, that for sure is the one I'd get.

Thanks all! I'll get one ordered!
One thing I just noticed. On NPD's instructions, it shows the TOP mount holes 10 1/2" back from the top edge of the trunk lid. I believe this is incorrect compared to the factory Ford installation. The 6 1/4" from the edge is correct. Also on the 429 Megasite, it shows the following dimensions, which match exactly to a friends car with factory installed spoiler.
I have a suspicion NPD's dimensions are a way around copyright issues. On my car that had the NPD spoiler on when I bought the car, the spoiler is noticeably over the back edge of the trunk. Another note is the factory installed spoilers were not always dead square when they were rapidly put on.

Attachments

• SpoilerLocation2.jpg
    SpoilerLocation2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 12
One thing I just noticed. On NPD's instructions, it shows the TOP mount holes 10 1/2" back from the top edge of the trunk lid. I believe this is incorrect compared to the factory Ford installation. The 6 1/4" from the edge is correct. Also on the 429 Megasite, it shows the following dimensions, which match exactly to a friends car with factory installed spoiler.
I have a suspicion NPD's dimensions are a way around copyright issues. On my car that had the NPD spoiler on when I bought the car, the spoiler is noticeably over the back edge of the trunk. Another note is the factory installed spoilers were not always dead square when they were rapidly put on.
Thank you. Very timely since I will be needing these dimensions soon.

Back