Best laptop under $500?

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

scgamecock

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I need a new laptop. Even though I work in IT I'm not sure what to go with. Here are my needs.

$500 or less

2 in 1 or Regular LT

Touch screen nice but not needed.

4 GB minimum

Internal DVD RW

Used for surfing

Picture storage. I will get an external HD but don't want to carry that everywhere.

I don't care about gaming

Good YouTube performance

BESTBUY inventory preferred. I have an interest free card?

Thanks!

Wade

scgamecock

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I posted this on a corvette forum that I have been a member of for years since I had a 72 that I rebuilt. The first response was an arrogant smart a$$ commenting o my experience and needs. He drives a $100k Vette.

I did not have to justify but I did. I figured I should provide some info at least on IT back ground.

I am a LINUX server administration and primarily work on high end servers. I am looking for a windows OS laptop which I have not purchased 1 in 10 years and sure things have changed in regards to configuration base on needs.

We are moving to a new house so holding off on out of pocket $500 is a luxury since it is % free.

Was looking for recommendations over there, not trolls.

W

kcmash

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I posted this on a corvette forum that I have been a member of for years since I had a 72 that I rebuilt. The first response was an arrogant smart a$$ commenting o my experience and needs. He drives a $100k Vette.

I did not have to justify but I did. I figured I should provide some info at least on IT back ground.

I am a LINUX server administration and primarily work on high end servers. I am looking for a windows OS laptop which I have not purchased 1 in 10 years and sure things have changed in regards to configuration base on needs.

We are moving to a new house so holding off on out of pocket $500 is a luxury since it is % free.

Was looking for recommendations over there, not trolls.

W
I have the Dell Inspiron 3520 with the Intel chip. It was a Windows 8 Machine that I hated, but I took the free upgrade to Windows 10. It works fine, and was low cost. I do not use it for any multimedia applications though. Mainly email and web sites.

Note: Windows Mail Sucks!!! But that does not have anything to do with the laptop.

Pegleg

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I use a Acer E15

With intel core i5-4210U 1.7GHZ with turbo boost up t2.7GHZ

4GB DDR3 Memory and 1000GB HDD

Intel HD Graphics 4400, up to 1792 MB Dynamic Video Memory--Works great for Youtube video streaming

My last 3 laptops have been Acer and wouldn't buy any other brand. If i have to restore, on the rare occasion i need to, its very easy to restore laptop back to fatory settings. I have 2x 2TB external hard drives i store all my old VHS digitized media but i keep all my pictures on laptop as theres ample room without slowing things down.

computercarguy

...can't get there from here...
Reaction score
When I am asked at work or if I pick something for a family member, I look to the refurbished ASUS laptops offer by www.newegg.com. I have also purchased some from Tigerdirect. Reviews of ASUS will mention that their customer support is bad but I have never had to use it.