Best overall muffler for boss 351..

Bradc

Reaction score
Good afternoon ..

quick question…I need to replace the mufflers on my Stang…

Has anyone experimented with more than one brand? A muffler for the best all around sound and performance..

thanks in advance…

thanks
Brad

BOSS351

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
I have a Grabber Lime Boss 351. The added bonus is it has a Gear Vendor overdrive for added drive-ability.
My car had Flowmaster mufflers when I bought it and have been very satisfied with the sound. That being said I am not sure how much the differ from a stock muffler as far as sound and flow.

71ProjectJunk

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
Any modern performance muffler will perform about the same on a stock or mostly stock Boss 351, they all flow a ton of air. The only question is what you want it to sound like, and that is very subjective. Flowmaster has a bunch of different mufflers with different sound levels. Best bet for you would be to go to a car show and find some classic mustangs and see what sound you like, and ask the owners what they are running. When I was young I used to love the 2 chamber Flowmaster, but nowadays I cannot stand the loud noise and the drone. I have been running Dynomax Super Turbo's which flow well, but are not loud on some of my cars, but these may be too tame for you.

c9zx

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
It depends on what you want. If you want it to sound "period correct" the Super Turbos previously mentioned would work as would the "Summit" brand mufflers. I hated the Flowmasters I tried, I gave them away. For flow and good sound the Magnaflows and Hooker Aerochamber mufflers would work. I have used both and liked the sound of both. It is a very personal choice, kind of like stereo speakers. I like JBL 4311s and Pioneer HPM 100s, others do not. Chuck