Best overall muffler for boss 351..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradc

Reaction score
Good afternoon ..

quick question…I need to replace the mufflers on my Stang…

Has anyone experimented with more than one brand? A muffler for the best all around sound and performance..

thanks in advance…

thanks
Brad

My car had Flowmaster mufflers when I bought it and have been very satisfied with the sound. That being said I am not sure how much the differ from a stock muffler as far as sound and flow.

Any modern performance muffler will perform about the same on a stock or mostly stock Boss 351, they all flow a ton of air. The only question is what you want it to sound like, and that is very subjective. Flowmaster has a bunch of different mufflers with different sound levels. Best bet for you would be to go to a car show and find some classic mustangs and see what sound you like, and ask the owners what they are running. When I was young I used to love the 2 chamber Flowmaster, but nowadays I cannot stand the loud noise and the drone. I have been running Dynomax Super Turbo's which flow well, but are not loud on some of my cars, but these may be too tame for you.

It depends on what you want. If you want it to sound "period correct" the Super Turbos previously mentioned would work as would the "Summit" brand mufflers. I hated the Flowmasters I tried, I gave them away. For flow and good sound the Magnaflows and Hooker Aerochamber mufflers would work. I have used both and liked the sound of both. It is a very personal choice, kind of like stereo speakers. I like JBL 4311s and Pioneer HPM 100s, others do not. Chuck

Great to get some feedback…thanks…
I have 30 year old mufflers…car sounds amazing now..I have a healthy cam and the solids make the engine sound amazingly mean…
Because it has been sitting for about 25 years, I was gonna sell and trade up in years….but when I took it for a ride after all those years…I was getting thumbs up and tons of looks…I fell back in love with it….and this website has invigorated me..to work and update it…

I bought my exhaust system from mustangsunlimited back in the day. I love the sound and the price was reasonable.

Abudi

Hello,
I had a custom exhaust installed from united exhaust in Ronkonkoma NY. Ran 3 inch with Borla mufflers. Best compromise on sound and performance. Didnt drone like my friends flow masters.
At the track ran basically same times with exhaust on or off. I too remember great sounding exhaust on my stock stang when I did the first exhaust system from unlimited, but after a real stout rebuild (515 hp) the 3 inch and x pipe were in order.

Any modern performance muffler will perform about the same on a stock or mostly stock Boss 351, they all flow a ton of air. The only question is what you want it to sound like, and that is very subjective. Flowmaster has a bunch of different mufflers with different sound levels. Best bet for you would be to go to a car show and find some classic mustangs and see what sound you like, and ask the owners what they are running. When I was young I used to love the 2 chamber Flowmaster, but nowadays I cannot stand the loud noise and the drone. I have been running Dynomax Super Turbo's which flow well, but are not loud on some of my cars, but these may be too tame for you.
thank you
seems to be too many choices, especially from flow master

thank you
seems to be too many choices, especially from flow master
Yup, it's not like it used to be, there are a million muffler brands, and some of them, like Flowmaster, have a bunch of choices in their one brand. All you need to do is find the sound you like, all the modern performance mufflers flow a ton of air, performance will be basically the same on a 351.

Maybe we can all dump clips of our exhausts to give Brad a better idea of what they sound like. I'll go first.
My vote goes to Flowmaster 40 Series.
302, long tube Hookers, X-pipe, and dual 40 Series mufflers. Should sound even better hooked up to a 351.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQcdJtBUX2/

I'm going against the advice of above: no mufflers at all or even pipes past the header! Let that big boy sound off!

I love the sound of open headers…not sure my neighbours would appreciate (the car guys would) lol

Latest posts

Back