Best rust paint for chassis & bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I am trying to choose the best chassis rust paint. I have used KBS coatings in my trunk and gas tank to good results, Not sure the long term results with KBS.

I see 3 frequently mentioned on the blogs. I would like your opinions on the best product to coat my chassis and then one to spray the engine bay with:

1. Rust Bullet

2. PoR 15

3. Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black

SPI otherwise known as Southern Polyurethanes out of Georgia. Epoxy black that encapsulates the metal. Works well, reasonably priced and they ship right to your door. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

SPI otherwise known as Southern Polyurethanes out of Georgia. Epoxy black that encapsulates the metal. Works well, reasonably priced and they ship right to your door. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
I will check it out. Engine pulled, ready to wire wheel and sand!

I have been using Rust Bullet and I Like it. Im using Rust Bullet then coat with Rust Bullet Blackshell on top of that for the thickness of protection which is critical for proper protection with rust bullet. Scott AKA "Q" turned me onto Rust Bullet and Im Glad he did. I do not know anything about POR or Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black so Im not going to knock them.

Depends on the areas your doing..We are in the middle of doing my engine bay on the green 72..As someone mentioned spi epoxy is a great product & on my q-code the entire bay was done with it BUT that car was media blasted stripped to bare metal..On the green 72 the plan is tad different..We sanded the engine bay with 80 grit on the D.A. LEAVING some of of the factory base where it was still good (not completely to bare metal just roughed up with 80) everything below the aprons was done with sem rustsheild applied with foam rollers foam brushes which continued on from when we did the underside (I have a thread showing the underside detail work) Everything Above the frame rails is getting sprayed with spi black epoxy..We then will spray eastwoods satin extreme chassis black as the finish coat..Inside the cowl gets done with rustbullet then topcoated with sem rustsheild..1 nice feature of the spi is that if you spray your top coat within 7 days of application no sanding is required..I wait 2 days then top coat..For the inner structure inside shock towers etc. inside fenders,thats getting rust bullet then top coated with spi bed liner..I will have pics up shortly of epoxying the bay top coating..

pics of the q-code engine bay in spi epoxy

100_2024.JPG100_2028.JPG100_2027.JPG

I know that I am a little late to the party on this thread, but I am down to bare metal on most of my car and am ready to find a rust inhibitor before laying down my epoxy primer. I went with Eastwood black epoxy for the base primer coat. I have also been looking at KBS coatings rust seal for the areas that were showing more that just surface rust when I was busting her down to bare metal.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/rustseal.html

Now after reading this thread I am very interested to know if you ended up using the KBS products and if so how have they held up, I don't want to have to do this process again!

Also, Scott I trust all of your advice and am interested in SPI's products, especially the bed liner as I want a layer that covers all of the metal surfaces on my interior for sound deadening purposes. I would rather use a coating than a stick on adhesive layer like dynomat and all the other knock offs of it. I know the green 72 turned out spectacular, now that it is a couple years later, can you provide us with a review of the products you used to coat your engine compartment and underside surfaces? Thanks everyone!

I've used use rust bullet/black shell-spi epoxy-eastwood chassis black each has its place

On the green car I used spi epoxy then topped with satin chassis black

The under sides of my cars I use sem rust sheild flat

I like the rust bullet for INSIDE the interior cavities of frame rails or areas that don't show.

Back