Best upgrade I've done (Shocks)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
I replaced my Shocks this weekend, after my last thread about the shocks "Shocks??" I ended up going with the KYB Gas-A-Just, the higher end shocks were out of my $pending range.

I got the shocks from Rockauto.com $136 for all 4, and I found a 5% discount code that covered the $8 shipping.

KYB Part # KG5517 for the rear getimage.jpg

KYB Part # KG4504 for the front front.jpg

They made the car handle much much better then the oil filled Gabriel shocks, you can feel improved ride quality, it feels like driving a modern car.

here is a link for all of the Shocks Rockauto has for our cars.

Rockauto shocks 71-73 Mustangs

Last edited by a moderator:
The next upgrade should be a bigger front sway bar. At least a 1". I have a 1 1/8" front sway bar in my car and thought it was the best upgrade bang-for-the-buck handling mod by far.

I replaced my Shocks this weekend, after my last thread about the shocks "Shocks??" I ended up going with the KYB Gas-A-Just, the higher end shocks were out of my $pending range.

I got the shocks from Rockauto.com $136 for all 4, and I found a 5% discount code that covered the $8 shipping.

KYB Part # KG5517 for the rear

KYB Part # KG4504 for the front

They made the car handle much much better then the oil filled Gabriel shocks, you can feel improved ride quality, it feels like driving a modern car.

I am in the last stages of a front suspension and steering rebuild. All I have left is the rag joint and the pitman arm, both on order.

My question is, how hard were your front shocks to install?

I had a '66 and they were no problem. This '72 fastback gave me brain damage getting them lined up correctly and tightened, especially the top where they go thru the shock tower. Just curious.....

I just bought the Monroe shocks for mine. www.monroe.com The Shoctober special has a buy 3 get one free promotion right now.

I am in the last stages of a front suspension and steering rebuild. All I have left is the rag joint and the pitman arm, both on order.

I had a '66 and they were no problem. This '72 fastback gave me brain damage getting them lined up correctly and tightened, especially the top where they go thru the shock tower. Just curious.....

not very hard at all, I removed the tire for easy access, it took about 10-15 min per shock.

not very hard at all, I removed the tire for easy access, it took about 10-15 min per shock.
I was working with new springs and new tight spring perches. Hopefully it will all be ok when I put the tires on and put the car on the ground and get some weight on the suspension.

On mine,(car in the air supported by jackstands on the frame rails) if I attached the shocks to the spring perch, the top had to be forced inboard to align with the shock tower. Someone told me this was normal.......I was just wondering what problems you ran into. I had to put a floor jack under the lower arm or brake drum and jack it up a little to help with alignment and it was still a bitch

I jacked up the car, then I put the floor jack on the lower control arm to compress the spring a bit.

I had no other issues.

now the back shocks I could not compress the shock to mount it, we had to use a floor jack to compress the shock to mount it.

The next upgrade should be a bigger front sway bar. At least a 1". I have a 1 1/8" front sway bar in my car and thought it was the best upgrade bang-for-the-buck handling mod by far.
+1 I did the same. The 1 1/8" sway bar is night and day better. Now I think I need to start thinking about shocks!

+1 I did the same. The 1 1/8" sway bar is night and day better. Now I think I need to start thinking about shocks!
+1... 1 1/8" in the front plus the 7/8" rear best mod upgrade you can do for handling

I have a full set of the KYB gas shocks on my bench if anyone is looking for a good riding shock. They are brand new. I had to step up to the Gas- adjust due

to wheel hop that showed up after I installed the rears. I loved the ride, but with the lead foot. If anyone just wants a good ride these are them. I will sell them cheap! Front shocks are still in the box, have about 100 miles on the rears.These are NOT the gas adjust. These are the base shocks which are still way better than the original oil filled shocks, great ride!

I have a full set of the KYB gas shocks on my bench if anyone is looking for a good riding shock. They are brand new. I had to step up to the Gas- adjust due

to wheel hop that showed up after I installed the rears. I loved the ride, but with the lead foot. If anyone just wants a good ride these are them. I will sell them cheap! Front shocks are still in the box, have about 100 miles on the rears.These are NOT the gas adjust. These are the base shocks which are still way better than the original oil filled shocks, great ride!
Are these the Kyb gr 2 shocks? If so I may be interested.

Thanks for the lead! I'm going to replace both front and rear and this thread really helped. Agree that the best pricing is at rockauto.com.

Last year I upgraded to the 1 1/8" sway bar and what an improvement. If I can just get a little better ride with new shocks I'll be thrilled.

Cheers,

JHawk

+1

I started with all factory parts so I did everything at once. I went to a 600# coil and 165# leaf from Maier Racing, KYB's and a 1 1/8" (front) and 7/8" (rear) sway bar. Totally a different car.

Back