Best upgrade I've done (Shocks)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the KYB's yesterday. Wow what a difference. I can't believe I restored the car and didn't just change these to begin with. Duh!!! Anyway, not only is the ride so much better, it eliminated all the rattling that was going on when I'm on rough roads (which is all over SA). Also seems to have improved the stance...I may be just seeing things, but that's my story! :D

Oh, and few quick notes for others doing this. I did not have to remove the backseat. It was quite easy to reach down (even though, you're doing it blind) in there and used my power ratchet. Just don't cut the straps holding your shocks compressed until after they're in place. I did take the tire off. It's not necessary but makes it so much easier to get to. The fronts were easy too. I did one side at a time, put it on a jack stand, and put the jack on the lower control arm to compress the spring a little like Iyman mentioned. Everything was very straightforward.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced my Shocks this weekend, after my last thread about the shocks "Shocks??" I ended up going with the KYB Gas-A-Just, the higher end shocks were out of my $pending range.

I got the shocks from Rockauto.com $136 for all 4, and I found a 5% discount code that covered the $8 shipping.

KYB Part # KG5517 for the rear

KYB Part # KG4504 for the front

They made the car handle much much better then the oil filled Gabriel shocks, you can feel improved ride quality, it feels like driving a modern car.

here is a link for all of the Shocks Rockauto has for our cars.

Rockauto shocks 71-73 Mustangs
I did just the opposite. I put on stiffer springs front and rear, larger sway bars and softer KYB shocks. I'd be real interested to see the difference in ride and handling between the two. Soon as I complete my build, maybe we can meet up and drive each others car. You're on the east coast, I'm on the west coast. Let's meet up in the middle, say Iowa??? LOL!!!!!

-Travis

I did just the opposite. I put on stiffer springs front and rear, larger sway bars and softer KYB shocks. I'd be real interested to see the difference in ride and handling between the two. Soon as I complete my build, maybe we can meet up and drive each others car. You're on the east coast, I'm on the west coast. Let's meet up in the middle, say Iowa??? LOL!!!!!
Or maybe meet in San Antonio and I can test drive both of your cars! :D

woohoo...I just installed those same shocks this past weekend! I'm still waiting for the 9". Should be ready this weekend.

Rear Axle...set me back a lot of $$$

$670 for new gears and true track

$150 for the 9"

$330 new brake hardware and shocks

$500 to $600 for the rebuilder

All this equals = Ouch...very ouch baby!!

But I will have a rock solid 9" with 3.70 gears and true trac!

Rebuilder said...I gotta drive it EZ for at leat 500 miles...then I can light them up!

Arrgggg....I can't wait!!

Great thread, on a really good wedge site.

I have new KYB excel shocks fitted, they came as part of a full kit and look like the cheap option.

My Question is - would KYB gas-a-just be a much better improvement over the excels ?

I replaced my Shocks this weekend, after my last thread about the shocks "Shocks??" I ended up going with the KYB Gas-A-Just, the higher end shocks were out of my $pending range.

I got the shocks from Rockauto.com $136 for all 4, and I found a 5% discount code that covered the $8 shipping.

KYB Part # KG5517 for the rear

KYB Part # KG4504 for the front

They made the car handle much much better then the oil filled Gabriel shocks, you can feel improved ride quality, it feels like driving a modern car.

here is a link for all of the Shocks Rockauto has for our cars.

Rockauto shocks 71-73 Mustangs
I also put them on my car. Still haven't driven it yet though. Glad to hear you like them!

I've been a fan of KYB (GR2 and AGX Adjustable) for years with other cars. For the money they just can't seem to be beat.

I have heard of people running Gas-A-Justs on the front and Excels (GR-2) on the back. The GR2s on the back seem to be a little more comfortable since they are softer with less weight to handle, keeps the back end from being to jarring.

I've been a fan of KYB (GR2 and AGX Adjustable) for years with other cars. For the money they just can't seem to be beat.

I have heard of people running Gas-A-Justs on the front and Excels (GR-2) on the back. The GR2s on the back seem to be a little more comfortable since they are softer with less weight to handle, keeps the back end from being to jarring.
That suits my cruising style.

On the strength of this thread I've just ordered a 1 1/8 front and 7/8 rear sway bars, to replace the basic front and NO rear sway bar.

Should be an improvement along with the new excel shocks I'm running.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. If you race, the Excel/Gr2 might not counter wheelhop as much, but it does make it far more comfortable for more normal types of driving.

Back