Best way to remove grease and oil?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibson_Junk

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 351C
1969 Mustang Coupe EMPTY
Okay so I need a reliable method for removing oil and grease from parts. Mainly most of the parts can be soaked. Bolts, Rods, Rockers....you know. I have tried soaking them in dawn, Purple Power, Degreaser, Windex lol

Whats a good product that will allow me to soak them for a few hours to hot to even touch water. I have a 2x2x2 sink that gets water about 140-200 degrees if I let it run for a few minutes.

Dawn dish-washing soap is good for light stuff. You might try using some Easy-Off oven cleaner for the more stubborn 'cooked on' stuff.

Brake and Carb cleaner goes a long way, too.

Actually, I used some Permatex Gel and Foaming degreasers (in that order) on the 'free' AOD I scored (it was nasty, I wish I'd had a 'before' picture).

I had to use a stiff-bristle scrub brush in the nooks and crannies after the product had 'cooked' for the allotted time during each application, and didn't do a very good job on the bottom (because of the tranny jack), but last bit of ick later came off quite easily after it was in the car. I used about a half can of the Gel initially, power rinsed, Gel again, brush, rinse, half a can of the Foaming stuff, rinse, and here we are:

401624_449151045095819_2127023286_n.jpg

This probably isn't the smartest or most economical choice but I have used gasoline to degrease nuts and bolts in a pinch. I let them soak for a few minutes then swished them around and finished the stubborn ones up with an old toothbrush.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the cheapest laquer thinner I can find, a small container(like a old coffee can) to put it in and use a cheap horsehair paint brush to clean oily parts. I would also advise if you do this to wear chemical resistant gloves and be in fresh air. When I am done I just leave the thinner in the small container to evaporate. When the thinner is all gone I just scrape the died crap out of the container. I then wipe it out with a paper towel and it is ready again to clean parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back