Big block won’t clear flat hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJU9507

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1 auto, 507 bbf, alum heads ect.
Has anybody received a big block clear a flat hood? I think that was the reason all big block cars have the NASA hood, Taller air cleaner clearance

Has anybody received a big block clear a flat hood? I think that was the reason all big block cars have the NASA hood, Taller air cleaner clearance
Get the cutting torch out!!
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I hope you find a solution to the problem.

Sounds like you have done work to the motor (507BBF, alum. heads). have you installed an aftermarket intake? all of these changes would definitely move you away from Concourse in this posting area. I suspect they would also modify the under hood clearance enough to present this challenge. Was your car originally a SBF or BBF? Some of the factors to consider and maybe post under another posting area.

Geez, people, a simple question, has anyone seen a factory 429 cj come with a non-scooped hood? don`t worry about concourse, ect. , Why assume it is about my car? Just wondering if big blocks required more clearance that flat hood proved.
Sounds like you have done work to the motor (507BBF, alum. heads). have you installed an aftermarket intake? all of these changes would definitely move you away from Concourse in this posting area. I suspect they would also modify the under hood clearance enough to present this challenge. Was your car originally a SBF or BBF? Some of the factors to consider and maybe post under another posting area.

Geez, people, a simple question, has anyone seen a factory 429 cj come with a non-scooped hood? don`t worry about concourse, ect. , Why assume it is about my car? Just wondering if big blocks required more clearance that flat hood proved.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Just questioning the need to post your question in the Concourse area vs another area more focused on the performance aspects you are looking for. I hope others have now answered your question on the factory hood type with the BBF motors.

Well, a concourse question was did big blocks ever come with flat hoods? Apparently not. is THAT concourse enough for you fellow knick picky original air in the tires, I overpaid for original in the box door panels, elitist types?

I read bkdunha’s original response as an honest attempt to provide help by suggesting additional information might be available via a different part of this forum; purists vs. performane types. (Typical of the folks on here that generally try to help, not snipe.)
Maybe I’m missing the boat here… 🤔

Well, a concourse question was did big blocks ever come with flat hoods? Apparently not. is THAT concourse enough for you fellow knick picky original air in the tires, I overpaid for original in the box door panels, elitist types?

Try to keep it friendly please.

The 1971 facts book in the Wiki shows that the NASA hood was included in both 429 engines. The CJ intake is considerably taller than the garden variety N-code 429-4V intake.

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/7173mustangs/images/71factbook.pdf

1669737588232.png

Back