Big sale? on AC systems at CJPonyParts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback - 351C-4V, Fitech EFI, T56 Magnum 6 Speed
OK hopefully that won't come off as clickbait but just thought this was funny. Got an email from CJP about their big Memorial day sale including things like AC systems that never go on sale. On a $1,700 purchase, check out that huge discount.

1684868729947.png

As funny as it is, really would love to see an actual good deal on these things.

In their defense, there is not much meat on the bones when it comes to these expensive conversion kits. Same usually goes for brake conversion kits. The margins already stink as it is, and to discount much further is getting down real close to "cost", at which point they're swapping dollars for nothing. They're already cheaper than us (NPD) at that price, the only difference being is that we invest in the inventory and inbound shipping to keep these kits on our shelves in-stock, whereas they dropship from Old Air.

Oh I get that. Old Air seems to control the prices pretty aggressively as well it seems as they are almost never discounted at all. This was more the point that if you're going to flag something as being on sale it ought to at least be what .5% or even a few $ off? If my math is right, this is a 0.0059% discount. I'm guessing it was a mistake or some kind of automated thing that set that price as by itself it seems well sort of silly or insulting to call that a sale item.

A penny saved is a penny earned 🤣
Well, you may think a penny saved is a penny earned, but it is actually more than that. The way I look at non-business (not tax deductible) expenses is a bit unusual, to say the least, but it makes sense to me. Between my IRS and NY state income tax rates (progressive tax rates, I assume the highest rates for ourselves 37.0% & 10.9% for IRS/NYS), for a total income tac burden of 47.9%. I then divide the "net" amount in question (a penny in this case) to determine the gross amount I had to generate to get that net amount. I also, for the sake of simplicity, round the 47.9% off to 50%, which helps adjust for NY state sales tax as well (a little bit).

So, for me a penny saved is actually equivalent two pennies earned. And the nearly $90,000 paid for our 2020 Shelby GT500 actually took close to $200,000 in earnings to pay for - when adjusted for income taxes and the sales tax amount.

It is a shame I was retired when we purchased the 2020 Shelby. I would have otherwise taken a significant tax deduction for it as being part of the equipment I "needed" to design custom diagnostic (acoustical problem related) parts for. heh heh... Just how I view things, which tends to keep me out of trouble re: blowing up budgets.

Well, you may think a penny saved is a penny earned, but it is actually more than that. The way I look at non-business (not tax deductible) expenses is a bit unusual, to say the least, but it makes sense to me. Between my IRS and NY state income tax rates (progressive tax rates, I assume the highest rates for ourselves 37.0% & 10.9% for IRS/NYS), for a total income tac burden of 47.9%. I then divide the "net" amount in question (a penny in this case) to determine the gross amount I had to generate to get that net amount. I also, for the sake of simplicity, round the 47.9% off to 50%, which helps adjust for NY state sales tax as well (a little bit).

So, for me a penny saved is actually equivalent two pennies earned. And the nearly $90,000 paid for our 2020 Shelby GT500 actually took close to $200,000 in earnings to pay for - when adjusted for income taxes and the sales tax amount.

It is a shame I was retired when we purchased the 2020 Shelby. I would have otherwise taken a significant tax deduction for it as being part of the equipment I "needed" to design custom diagnostic (acoustical problem related) parts for. heh heh... Just how I view things, which tends to keep me out of trouble re: blowing up budgets.

I grew up on that philosophy from my father, constantly reminding me how much money I'd need to make to generate X-amount of cash to buy a toy or indulgence, or explaining how much money the company had to earn in order to buy a building or piece of equipment. Always sobering, even after you've learned to do the math instantly in your head..

I guess this is your 2cents, 😂

I bought my CAA direct because there was no price benefit purchasing elsewhere. I still had to wait 14 weeks for it but it’s a great system. I was hoping buying directly might speed it up but no.

I bought my CAA direct because there was no price benefit purchasing elsewhere. I still had to wait 14 weeks for it but it’s a great system. I was hoping buying directly might speed it up but no.

That's precisely why we try to keep things in-stock, on the shelves, so that our customers are not subject to the ebs and flows of a manufacturer's lead-time, which in this post-covid era, can often be many many months of waiting.

That's precisely why we try to keep things in-stock, on the shelves, so that our customers are not subject to the ebs and flows of a manufacturer's lead-time, which in this post-covid era, can often be many many months of waiting.
Yeah…I did my entire car build during Covid…..if I recall everyone was out of stock on the AC at the time…..

I don’t know how AAC runs their manufacturing process, but I guess from discussions with them that they build in batches when orders come in….like the 71-73 system is probably less in demand, takes longer say to build up 10 orders or whatever the minimum is to start production….they said 8-12 weeks, it took 14+. I got notices like “going into production“ around week 8, then “shipping next week”. Then they backtracked and I got another “into production” message followed by shipping soon then it actually shipped….

The good news is the system is great, they had great support also….and NPD received a large portion of my bank account from 2021-2023! And will continue to get my $. 😂

Back