Bigger vacuum Brake Booster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
How big booster can you fit in the 73 ? I was looking at a booster from the 2010-2015 mustang. I think mine is a 11 inch single booster. I was thinking hydroboost first but the mustang 2010-2015 booster is much cheaper.

1663674610283.png
Regards Rob

Why do you want a larger booster? Would adding an auxiliary vacuum canister meet your needs? Chuck

I'm not the expert here, but I don't think that would work on our cars.
If your cam is causing low vacuum, then you might do what a friend of mine did on his Torino with a built up 429. This car already had a vacuum canister that didn't do much to improve the braking, so he added a separate electric vacuum pump. I'm not sure where they can be bought but might be a consideration.

Attachments

• 20220813_095436.jpg
    20220813_095436.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Maybe a double diaphragm design. I don't think they make it for our cars, but maybe you can adapt one.
Leed brakes has a pump or you can make your own system as I did. I am using a Hella vacuum pump with a Jegs canister and my own solenoid switch setup. My cam makes about 11-12 in vacuum. I have my vacuum pump setup to go between 17-22. Honestly, I noticed very little improvement for the effort. Here are some details about my setup: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/mu...hread-1971-m-mach-1.19381/page-13#post-337695

Hi
I have the leeds rotary pump it works great , 25 inch hg of vacuum. But bigger booster means more power, that is what Im thinking of. A double 9 inch diaframe makes more power then the single 11 inch. Im having the Cobra brakes in front and DBK9 kit in the rear. If that booster work for new Mustangs with big brakes it should work better then the 11 inch single booster. Il research it more to get how much braking power it puts out.

How big booster can you fit in the 73 ? I was looking at a booster from the 2010-2015 mustang. I think mine is a 11 inch single booster. I was thinking hydroboost first but the mustang 2010-2015 booster is much cheaper.

View attachment 67660
Regards Rob
You should call WCCC and have them rebuild your OEM Bendix. Not sure on ‘73 but mine and a few cores I snatched for rebuild are # 9401.
‘73’s were redesigned from ‘1-2 so you will get exactly all you need to run your OEM system assuming you have Rdrum & Fdisc.

You should call WCCC and have them rebuild your OEM Bendix. Not sure on ‘73 but mine and a few cores I snatched for rebuild are # 9401.
‘73’s were redesigned from ‘1-2 so you will get exactly all you need to run your OEM system assuming you have Rdrum & Fdisc.
I have one that is rebuilt, it works but Im looking for more brake power but with a vacuum booster.

I totally agree with DAverkamp. Call WCCC. Before doing so it would be worth your while to watch a video they put together on the subject of brake boosters for First Generation Mustangs and Cougars. I have long ago decided if ever I need to replace a brake booster these are folks I will be calling:

Do you have the original brakes or brakes from another car or aftermarket. If not original, the master cylinder you are using could be too large in diameter. That is just a thought. Chuck

Do you have the original brakes or brakes from another car or aftermarket. If not original, the master cylinder you are using could be too large in diameter. That is just a thought. Chuck
Cobra brakes in front and DBK9 kit in rear. The Mastercylinder is the correct size. Just wanting more pressure on the brakes.

Back