Biggest Car Pet Peeves

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacer.png
WOOO BOY HE CAME UNGLUED!!!!! for the first time I felt "uncomfortable" speaking to a law enforcement officer. After reading some other comments... I now know they are NOT to be trusted.

I have a story about an encounter with a police officer that had a different ending.......Back in the Eighties, I drove a 1970 Olds 4-4-2 W-30. This car was restored, but the engine went a step further by being not only a ram-air 455, but with many parts and modifications by Olds guru Joe Mondello ( now, the late joe Mondello sorry to say ). The car was unholy powerfull and I also had the turbo 400 auto trans competition shift kitted...it shifted HARD, enough to chirp the tires through every shift. One day, a cop pulled me over for "exhibition of speed" upon hearing me chirp the tires going by him. I explained that the car always does that, even if I feather the pedal, it's the car, not me", further, I said "'cuff me to your bike, or that streetlamp and take it around the block if you think I'm lying to you". Unbelieveably, he did just that, cuffed me to a pole and disappeared down the street grabbing rubber as he went. Minutes later he came back and parked. He appologised to me, took the cuffs off, and let me go with a warning to "drive cool, OK?" We went our different ways, but I'll never forget that officer.

442 pulling boat.jpg

With 442 Olds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, speaking of police stories.....

About five weeks ago I was on my regular Sunday drive in the Mustang, just leaving the edge of town when around the bend there's a booze bus (breathalyzer checkpoint) set up in the middle of the road with about five police officers lined up doing the breath tests, an officer directing the cars into the testing lane with a LED wand, plus a couple more miscellaneous officers watching.

I get directed into the breath testing lane and idle up next to the designated testing officer. Next thing I know one of the watching officers starts walking up to my car, and also the officer with the LED directing wand starts walking up to me too.

In my mind I'm thinking "ok here it goes, these blokes are singling me out to get my car checked over for roadworthy compliance..."

The officer with the LED wand leans down to the drivers window and says with enthusiasm "has it got a big block in it??". Somewhat relieved I tell the bloke "no, unfortunately it's about the smallest block you can get, a 302 Windor", to which he replied "well, you've still got got plenty of time to put one in!"

Then the other officer leans down at the passenger side window and says smiling "you know what, when I was a kid my sister had a boyfriend that drove one of these and I thought he was just about the coolest bloke alive, could have been a real d*ckhead for all I know now, but back then I thought he was just so cool !". I chuckled and mumbled back something like "yeah, well I've been known to be a bit of a d*ckhead every now and again too....."

So I idled off out of that checkpoint with a smile on my face, and even got a wave from the young lady officer as I passed her by further down the testing line...

That's pretty cool. Just goes to show ya: Cops are people too. :cool:

My Mach1 was certainly not a bench for holding other people's belongings theyd find it nicely placed on the ground if they couldn't have the decency to think the rear window would beat the hood or sail panels paint job

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

spacer.png
WOOO BOY HE CAME UNGLUED!!!!! for the first time I felt "uncomfortable" speaking to a law enforcement officer. After reading some other comments... I now know they are NOT to be trusted.
I have a story about an encounter with a police officer that had a different ending.......Back in the Eighties, I drove a 1970 Olds 4-4-2 W-30. This car was restored, but the engine went a step further by being not only a ram-air 455, but with many parts and modifications by Olds guru Joe Mondello ( now, the late joe Mondello sorry to say ). The car was unholy powerfull and I also had the turbo 400 auto trans competition shift kitted...it shifted HARD, enough to chirp the tires through every shift. One day, a cop pulled me over for "exhibition of speed" upon hearing me chirp the tires going by him. I explained that the car always does that, even if I feather the pedal, it's the car, not me", further, I said "'cuff me to your bike, or that streetlamp and take it around the block if you think I'm lying to you". Unbelieveably, he did just that, cuffed me to a pole and disappeared down the street grabbing rubber as he went. Minutes later he came back and parked. He appologised to me, took the cuffs off, and let me go with a warning to "drive cool, OK?" We went our different ways, but I'll never forget that officer.

I don't know...looking at the pics I'd say it might have been the acid wash jeans! :D

Wow that is so Amaizing story![emoji41] Big differing off what an officer whould ask Mee[emoji19] There was an Big Car show last weekend!,.. Whit an Racetrack as people came there whit there Cars on there trailers and starting too take them off they all got an control off there Racing Cars!![emoji35] Because they said that there was aloud people into watching the Race!, so the police was hard to those who did start up there Race cars out side the Race track! My friends who did pul there Cars into the Racetrack didn't have! But it's sad that they was so hard on there Control! People was so frustrating over that way the police did tarting them... When it should have bind so grate an phony it became the something alls .... Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

Flatback 72! You'll have to excuse me....I've been laughing for the last five minutes....I just realized that the face on the guy in your avatar is Alfred E. Newman. I guess I hadn't looked close. Funny!

I don't know...looking at the pics I'd say it might have been the acid wash jeans! :D
Hmmm, interesting take on the photo...most people tend to give me shit about my hair!
Well, given my wardrobe and style thru the years, I don't have any right to hassle people about how they look in old photos, but then again, it also makes it okay!
Besides, in old pics, nothing is cooler than the cars!

There are nearly 1.5 million policemen in the US. They are all untrustworthy because ONE gave your wife a citation? A ticket? OK...that makes perfect sense.

You'd be surprised how quickly "what's going on here, officer" can escalate into a full-blown argument between a cop, a guy, his 50-year old wife, 10 year old daughter, and a cat on the side of the road. Maybe he could have spoken to you better, but maybe you could've handled it better on your end too. Walk a mile in his boots my friend...

There are nearly 1.5 million policemen in the US. They are all untrustworthy because ONE gave your wife a citation? A ticket? OK...that makes perfect sense.

You'd be surprised how quickly "what's going on here, officer" can escalate into a full-blown argument between a cop, a guy, his 50-year old wife, 10 year old daughter, and a cat on the side of the road. Maybe he could have spoken to you better, but maybe you could've handled it better on your end too. Walk a mile in his boots my friend...
Joe, I couldn't agree more! See Don65, I told you others might find RPM's post offensive.

I have a few, but I'll try not to get carried away. I tend to park (as my wife says) 40 miles out from the entrance to the mall. That way my "Money Pit" should remain scratch and dent free. You come back and someone with a $100 car has parked so close to you that you could only get in if you crawl through a window. I no longer take the Mach 1 anywhere I would have to leave it.

The door slammer! My doors do Not sag or need to be lifted up to close them. So please do not slam them so hard that the radio changes stations after you try to destroy my door.

The Show Expert and his buddies that are in awe of how smart he is. I've owned my two Mach 1's since 1975 and 1981. By now I'm pretty familiar how they were equipped from the factory. I've been told the urethane bumper is wrong, should be chrome. The 351C is wrong because Ford didn't use them in Mustangs after 1970. Should be a 351 Windsor.

All 71-73's were Mach 1's. all 71's were big blocks cause of friend of his brother had one with the Boss 429. Of course he no longer has it because he got stopped so many times for running 180 mph that the Police made him get rid of it. But...since he had "connections" with the right people at Ford he was able to get a rare Mustang II with a Boss 302 with a "Special" racing cam!!

Want to find out just how ignorant you really are about your own car? Wait for the "Expert" :eek:)

Flatback 72! You'll have to excuse me....I've been laughing for the last five minutes....I just realized that the face on the guy in your avatar is Alfred E. Newman. I guess I hadn't looked close. Funny!
Spike, I always wonder if people look at my avatar and think "Geez, poor old Flatback72 has a weird looking head....."

Well, I guess I do, but the head on my avatar is the combo of my two favorite heroes, Alfred from my childhood reading Mad, and more recently Earl "I'm just tryin' to be a better person" Hickey from My Name is Earl. :p

7WdiGk1.jpg

I even have him in a frame on my wall!

JA8CXaX.jpg

Flatback,

I found this image somewhere on the internet....at one time I thought I might use it as my Avatar. This makes me laugh as well...

( P.S., Camaro owner? )

ripe.jpg

I have a few, but I'll try not to get carried away. I tend to park (as my wife says) 40 miles out from the entrance to the mall. That way my "Money Pit" should remain scratch and dent free. You come back and someone with a $100 car has parked so close to you that you could only get in if you crawl through a window. I no longer take the Mach 1 anywhere I would have to leave it.

The door slammer! My doors do Not sag or need to be lifted up to close them. So please do not slam them so hard that the radio changes stations after you try to destroy my door.

The Show Expert and his buddies that are in awe of how smart he is. I've owned my two Mach 1's since 1975 and 1981. By now I'm pretty familiar how they were equipped from the factory. I've been told the urethane bumper is wrong, should be chrome. The 351C is wrong because Ford didn't use them in Mustangs after 1970. Should be a 351 Windsor.

All 71-73's were Mach 1's. all 71's were big blocks cause of friend of his brother had one with the Boss 429. Of course he no longer has it because he got stopped so many times for running 180 mph that the Police made him get rid of it. But...since he had "connections" with the right people at Ford he was able to get a rare Mustang II with a Boss 302 with a "Special" racing cam!!

Want to find out just how ignorant you really are about your own car? Wait for the "Expert" :eek:)
I read your response twice. Love it all. I agree completely!!

I think the only issue I would have driving mine as a daily driver is after all that time, effort, money, blood, sweat, and tears (nope... actually, no tears) invested, I'd probably come unglued after the first door ding or first passenger that damages something because we all know that nobody besides us really has any kind of deep-seated 'care' for our cars... at least not to the level we do, anyway.

It's not "just a car," folks - even my lowly Honda Civic hatchback was "my baby" while I had it. I love cars, and especially after I bring one back from the dead, I get great enjoyment driving and caring for them... as well as great pleasure in having a cool car that other people seem to envy even just a little bit.

I know it drives me nuts when my boss (who is now basically blind and depends on me for rides to lunch and errands pretty much everyday) slams the door in my truck, pulls the seat belt absolutely ALL the way out and/or closes it in the door, tosses his cane into the truck, can't seem to remember how to cover his face when he sneezes, etc. It also drives me nuts when someone else hops out and just tosses the seat belt aside, expecting the retractor to suck it up, but usually not before it clanks on the window and takes a chunk out of the window tint.

I've already told him the first snot-rocket I find anywhere in the car will be his last ride in the Mustang. I thinks he thinks I'm kidding... No Sir - not kidding. Not by a long shot.

So what are some of the things that bother you most about having your cool car (no matter what kind of a car it is)?
Yep, had passengers that wanted to light up! Nope, not in mine. Seat belts, even with retractors, can not always be that reliable. And a manufacturers flaw,....the convertible boot, just 'WILL NOT STAY IN PLACE'. Was at the local car show last Sunday and with the heat, it just peeled off it's track. Was not a plus to win any trophy but had some help that made up for it. Of all people, Arnie Palmer and his wife was going through the car show, giving away a full detail job from his local Cadillac dealership. His wife pointed at my stang and said she liked it. The next moment, Mr Palmer came over help me with the convertible boot. Though, even the both of us working together, could not get the boot to cooperate.

Back