Biggest tire I can fit all the way around on 15's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Its going to be a while before I get aftermarket rims and tires so I need to look for tires that fit my stock 15" hubcap rims without rubbing and staying tucked up under the fender wells.  I want either good year or BFG both in raised white letters.  What are my options?

I have 255/60/15 on 7x15 rims on all 4. Works and looks perfectly. Keep in mind that my car sits really low and I don’t have any rubbing issues.

C285A9B4-9475-480A-BB31-074329A72343.jpeg

I have 255/60/15 on 7x15 rims on all 4. Works and looks perfectly. Keep in mind that my car sits really low and I don’t have any rubbing issues.
Thanks Mike!  You have the same wheels and hub caps I have.  They look good on your car!!

Thanks. Those are actually Magnum 500 original to the car that I converted to fit hub caps and rings. :)

I have 295s BFG on Magnum 500s in the rear with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
What size tire are you running up front?

Do you have any pics from the back of the car showing the width of the tires?

Are you running air shocks?

Did you roll the fender lip?

Your rims are 8"?

It all fits inside the wheel well?

I would love to run 295's in the rear but want it all under the fender well and 255/60/15 on the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run BFG's 225 on the front, 255 on the rear on 15 Weld wheels

255 for the front is very large. Even if assisted, there will be unnecessary stress added to steering components at low speeds on the already heavy nose. You'll get more chances of aqua-planning too.

Its been a long while since I drove the car daily, but I recall this combo allowed pretty good handling in the many corners we have over here.

I have 295s BFG on Magnum 500s in the rear with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
What size tire are you running up front?

Do you have any pics from the back of the car showing the width of the tires?

Are you running air shocks?

Did you roll the fender lip?

Your rims are 8"?

It all fits inside the wheel well?

I would love to run 295's in the rear but want it all under the fender well and 255/60/15 on the front.
Here is a post with some information and pictures: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-did-you-do-to-your-car-today?pid=277968#pid277968

The rears are 295/50R15. The fronts are 245/60R15. Same diameter.

My wheels are magnums 7.5" wide, per measurements taken by the tire shop. Therefore, the tires are a little bulgy, but they are not terrible.

The backspacing, I think it was 4.25", but I can't remember for sure. The backspacing is extremely important to fit those fat tires in the rear. Whatever BS I have is the minimum you want to have since mine are almost flush between the outer edge of tire and fender. So they fit inside the wheel well with no need to roll the fender lip. A larger BS will push the tire inwards, which will be a bit better. Again, I don't have the exact measurement, but I have about 2" between the inner edge of the tire and anything else that can interfere with

275 60r15 on the rear on 15x8 magnums, 215 60r15 on the front on 15x7 mags on mine

Last edited by a moderator:
Back