Biofuel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 completely stock ivy green with silver stripes.
I have a question, I heard a news report that president biden is going to mandate that all gasoline be mixed with biofuel. Now for my question what happens to an engine that isn’t made to run off biofuel? Will it do damage to our cars.

Ethanol = biofuel

Many parts of this country have been using 10% ethanol fuel since the early 90's. It became pretty much the standard once MTBE was found to be entering ground water and was banned nationwide. You've probably been running it all along. We've been using it here in CT since the mid-90's.

Yes, ethanol can damage your fuel system as it's hygroscopic and absorbs water, much like brake fluid. It can cause rust and corrosion in the system if it sits for years at a time. It can also form a gel type substance which will block small passages and jets. This is especially problematic in power equipment that sits in your shed or garage. My best defense to this has been Startron fuel additive. If you drive your car on a regular basis, you have nothing to worry about.

Ethanol can attack older rubber components, such as fuel hoses and o-rings. If you have hoses that are over 20 years old, it would be wise to change them regardless of the fuel you're running. Modern fuel hose is compounded to be ethanol resistant, as are components in new carburetor kits and fuel pumps.

From the article I read, the administration is raising the total gallons that must be incorporated into the fuel supply, not the mandated percentages. This keeps the corn growers in the Midwest happy, as something around 40% of corn is used for ethanol production. The percentages are mandated to be displayed on the pump, so if you have a choice, use the E10.

Last edited:
Ethanol = biofuel

Many parts of this country have been using 10% ethanol fuel since the early 90's. It became pretty much the standard once MTBE was found to be entering ground water and was banned nationwide. You've probably been running it all along. We've been using it here in CT since the mid-90's.

Yes, ethanol can damage your fuel system as it's hygroscopic and absorbs water, much like brake fluid. It can cause rust and corrosion in the system if it sits for years at a time. It can also form a gel type substance which will block small passages and jets. This is especially problematic in power equipment that sits in your shed or garage. My best defense to this has been Startron fuel additive. If you drive your car on a regular basis, you have nothing to worry about.

Ethanol can attack older rubber components, such as fuel hoses and o-rings. If you have hoses that are over 20 years old, it would be wise to change them regardless of the fuel you're running. Modern fuel hose is compounded to be ethanol resistant, as are components in new carburetor kits and fuel pumps.

From the article I read, the administration is raising the total gallons that must be incorporated into the fuel supply, not the mandated percentages. This keeps the corn growers in the Midwest happy, as something around 40% of corn is used for ethanol production. The percentages are mandated to be displayed on the pump, so if you have a choice, use the E10.
I’ve heard it can destroy anything rubber and as it eats the rubber the rubber particles will clog the small passages.

Let's see, we are burning food for fuel and counting on sunny days and favorable winds to provide our electricity to charge our cars. What could go wrong? To find the answers search on "German energy". Chuck

Let's see, we are burning food for fuel and counting on sunny days and favorable winds to provide our electricity to charge our cars. What could go wrong? To find the answers search on "German energy". Chuck
California is Banning gasoline engines by 2035 in favor of electric vehicles. Two days after this announcement people are being told to conserve your use of electricity. Most of all don’t plug your cars in. If they don’t have enough electricity to keep your home comfortable how in the world do they expect to convert to all electric cars.

I’ve heard it can destroy anything rubber and as it eats the rubber the rubber particles will clog the small passages.

I'll just quote myself for the answer to that.

Back