Black comfortweave/SMS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
It was mid to late March when someone here posted SMS Fabrics was having a 19% off sale.  Nearly 20% off was too good to pass up so I ordered 4 yards of black Comfortweave, and was invoiced and charged on 4/1.

Now that's it's the end of April and no update, I inquired, which led to a series of replies I don't quite know what to make of.

First reply:  "This is not a stock item and we are making more, earliest will be end of May."

Okay, I thought I was buying NOS and that NO ONE was making this woven/knitted vinyl anymore so I had to ask: "I’m confused; this fabric has not been made since 1973, so I don’t know how you are making more.  I did not know you, or anyone, had the equipment to weave the knitted vinyl in this pattern.  Can you clarify?"

Second reply:  "We are currently making a roll of this."  That was it.  Nothing more.

Thoughts?  Do I just take them at their word that they're able to weave this oh-so-precious Comfortweave knitted vinyl product?

:-/

Maybe they found a loom or someone that has one. You will know when you compare the material. Will be great if they are making it again. I need some white they were out last time I checked. 

Keep us informed.
Wouldn't it be if they were?  NOS is great and all that, but at this point, it would still be 47 year old product.  So, yeah, IF they're actually making the correct knitted weave from modern materials, that would be fantastic.

I guess next update will be May :whistling:

When we reupholstered the seats I kept the original covers.

Driver's side is shot, but passenger side is good and rear looks

never used.  Not sure why I kept it, just a pack rat I guess.

mike
Same as mine: driver seat shot but passenger and rear in good shape, although upholstery not yet replaced.

PO swapped the driver seat, with a broken frame, for the passenger side so the seat in the driver spot ain’t quite right.

For a vinyl seat, this Comfortweave woven fabric was a incredible idea, and wore like iron. I have driven my '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R in 90 degree temps (not my preference of course) with the windows down (no AC) and the seats were better to sit on than a solid vinyl type of product. My driver's side seat bottom has the beginnings of separation in a few small spots, but it isn't actually separated yet. The driver's side seat back looks pristine, as do the passenger seat and rear seats. These other seats simply must not have been used because they look like new up close. Limited use or not, they are 49 years old and the car is originally from Ontario. I'd just like to get enough fabric to someday have the driver's side seat bottom sectioned in at a shop.

They are a mom and pop operation. When I ordered white comfort weave it took 2 months for it to  arrive. They don't seem to like  to answer the phone either. They are painfully slow but the product I received was the real thing.  It matched my back seat perfect. I only did the front seats on my convertible.

John J

Back in July of last year I ordered 4 yards of the black comfort weave from them, I received the material in November. In my dealings with them I had the same experience you are having very difficult to get any info but what I was able to gather the small amount of info from them is they have a connection with a factory in New Jersey who can make the material. The black comfort weave is the most common and they wait to have enough orders before they commit to a run apparently the factory has a requirement on the minimum amount for a run. They don't make a run on the different colors unless they have enough of a demand for that color. The owner of SMS doesn't want to tie up his money on comfort weave that will just sit on his shelves. Here is a link to my posting with pics.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-black-comfort-weave

For a vinyl seat, this Comfortweave woven fabric was a incredible idea, and wore like iron.  I have driven my '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R in 90 degree temps (not my preference of course) with the windows down (no AC) and the seats were better to sit on than a solid vinyl type of product.  My driver's side seat bottom has the beginnings of separation in a few small spots, but it isn't actually separated yet.  The driver's side seat back looks pristine, as do the passenger seat and rear seats.  These other seats simply must not have been used because they look like new up close.  Limited use or not, they are 49 years old and the car is originally from Ontario.  I'd just like to get enough fabric to someday have the driver's side seat bottom sectioned in at a shop.
Was this car from the Sault Ste Marie, Ontario area?

Back in July of last year I ordered 4 yards of the black comfort weave from them, I received the material in November.
You were in pretty much the same boat as I am now.  I hoped it all worked out for you?  You never updated your other post so I'm curious, how long did it take TMI to produce your seat covers?

Back in July of last year I ordered 4 yards of the black comfort weave from them, I received the material in November.
You were in pretty much the same boat as I am now.  I hoped it all worked out for you?  You never updated your other post so I'm curious, how long did it take TMI to produce your seat covers?
It took TMI about 6 weeks they did both front seats and the rear and I'm very happy with their work.

I posted that "On Sale" notice at SMS awhile back and at the same time sent another request for 73 Mach 1, Blue Knitted Vinyl.  The email reply was, "No, but we have something close."  A swatch came the other day and it's not close enough for my liking to invest big money on material and having TMI make it.

"If" there is a factory in New Jersey making this stuff, I doubt there will ever be enough demand for blue for them to do another run...

And I need this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they found a loom or someone that has one. You will know when you compare the material. Will be great if they are making it again. I need some white they were out last time I checked. 

Keep us informed.
Wouldn't it be if they were?  NOS is great and all that, but at this point, it would still be 47 year old product.  So, yeah, IF they're actually making the correct knitted weave from modern materials, that would be fantastic.

I guess next update will be May :whistling:
It is not NOS... they have a source to have it made

For a vinyl seat, this Comfortweave woven fabric was a incredible idea, and wore like iron.  I have driven my '71 Mach 1 429 CJ-R in 90 degree temps (not my preference of course) with the windows down (no AC) and the seats were better to sit on than a solid vinyl type of product.  My driver's side seat bottom has the beginnings of separation in a few small spots, but it isn't actually separated yet.  The driver's side seat back looks pristine, as do the passenger seat and rear seats.  These other seats simply must not have been used because they look like new up close.  Limited use or not, they are 49 years old and the car is originally from Ontario.  I'd just like to get enough fabric to someday have the driver's side seat bottom sectioned in at a shop.
You got it!  You probably know of the actual car.  The registered 429 cars are typically known in the hobby.

You got it!  You probably know of the actual car.  The registered 429 cars are typically known in the hobby.

I knew the 429 car’s in Ontario, as I had a J Mach beginning back in ‘93. I remember when this one came up for sale, thought about it, but my kid’s hockey was costing me all my extra $$$. I believe the owners first name was Maurice... He was into these quite a bit at one time. I’m sure you got a nice car to start with from him.

I knew the 429 car’s in Ontario, as I had a J Mach beginning back in ‘93. I remember when this one came up for sale, thought about it, but my kid’s hockey was costing me all my extra $$$. I believe the owners first name was Maurice... He was into these quite a bit at one time. I’m sure you got a nice car to start with from him.
You are correct, first name was Maurice and I have been in contact with him.  There are pics of the car in the 429 registry from when he owned it.  He also sent me pics of a Grabber Green '71 Mach 1 drag car that he had or possibly still has.

Back