Bleed Power Steering

blkulis

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I hooked my power steering hoses back up. How do I bleed the system??? Steering is way to easy now and I did not realize the system needs to be bled like the brakes.

73MustangCoupe

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
To bleed the power steering, fill the reservoir and then with the engine idling, slowly turn the wheel back and forth, stopping to check the level periodically. The fluid level will drop quickly at first, and then as the air escapes, it will start to stabilize, so you will need to check it often at first. Don't let it sit at the stops, either left or right, for more than a couple seconds.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
To bleed the power steering, fill the reservoir and then with the engine idling, slowly turn the wheel back and forth, stopping to check the level periodically. The fluid level will drop quickly at first, and then as the air escapes, it will start to stabilize, so you will need to check it often at first. Don't let it sit at the stops, either left or right, for more than a couple seconds.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.
That is exactly right!

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I tried to respond to your PM the other day, and then today, but it appears your PM box is full. Sorry about the delay. I agree with Coupe's method.

wwhite72

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
Hopefully you "bench primed" the pump before you started spinning it on the engine.