Block to move t5 shift handle back

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
Someone wrote about building an adapter block to move the shift handle on a t5 conversion back to the correct location. If anyone has made these and would sell one I
would be grateful.

Currently the rubber boot seems to d wet enough pressure on the stick to force it out of 5th while driving, and the stick is too far forward to comfortably keep my hand on it. Plus it almost hits the front of the clock, making the clock more useless than usual

Lokar makes a swivel adapter that may work. I made a shift lever out of some aluminum 1/2" flat stock and am using an old school Hurst T handle knob. The weight will sometimes cause it to come out of 5th. I think the swivel adapter is a good option as the weight of the adapter is low toward the trans. IF that makes sense...

I made a block to move the handle back on my T5 conversion.

20210804_082527.jpg

Pretty simple project. Drill four holes in some flat stock and tap two of them. If you don't want to tackle the fabrication, a simple drawing (and maybe this photo?) and a trip to your local machine shop should give you what you need.

I am not aware of anyone that sells this spacer.

how thick is the stock and do you know the dimensions of the block and the distance between the holes? Sorry to seem so clueless, but I will need to find a shop to fabricate it. Simply out of my pay grade and skill set (and I have a healthy fear of anything I try to fabricate coming apart at the most inopportune moment, most likely at a high rate of speed...

how thick is the stock and do you know the dimensions of the block and the distance between the holes? Sorry to seem so clueless, but I will need to find a shop to fabricate it. Simply out of my pay grade and skill set (and I have a healthy fear of anything I try to fabricate coming apart at the most inopportune moment, most likely at a high rate of speed...

1/4" steel flat stock, 1 3/4" square.

Shop will need your Holley shift lever to get the hole spacing correct. Bring them one of the screw/bolts so that they know what thread to cut. If I had it to do over I probably wouldn't go square. I'd do 1 3/4" tall and 2" deep to move the lever a tad more rearward.

I painted my block with some gray primer paint I had laying around so I didn't have rust issues down the road.

Idaho Chris,
That adapter looks great.
My only suggestion if you make another to move the handle back further would be to have a raised boss between the stub and handle so it has no room to work loose.
Great job.
Boilermaster

Steeda makes one, $20 plus shipping. Only moves it back a little over an inch but that may be enough to solve the problem

Installed the steeda block today, solved both problems. The stick now sits comfortably in my hand and no longer pops out of 5th.

Back