Blue Door Panels- what would you do

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
So I have been doing my interior this winter, and just finished all new carpeting. I am down to final detail of door panels. I have read quite a bit on here about the aftermarket ones and seems "fit" is a common problem. I can live with some tweaking if need be. So my dilemma is this. Passengers panel is very good. I have new carpets for both doors and thats all it really needs as the blue is faded. But, the drivers door have some bad cracks in armrest. Do I tackle trying to vinyl repair/cover paint the one bad drivers side, or buy a new pair of them and deal with the shade of blue being off and fit issues? What what you do? This is 1973 convertible BTW. Has anyone here bought BLUE specifically and did it match OEM quite well? That brown kraft style paper that goes on metal and under door panel, is that available pre cut or do you just buy a roll and try to make something? Mine has ton of duct tape. Now check out how the PO replaced the SPEAKER with small round one. Used large bolts with head sticking out. The bottoms of my door panels were flapping in the breeze about 1/4" open as this rig he made pushed it out.

DOOR1.JPG

door2.JPG

door3.JPG

Hi digi,

I would love to have a magic wand and supply you with all the correct answers to help you out and solve your problems, but my knowledge is limited in regards to what exact blue colors the repro companies are selling with their door cards these days. I guess looking at it logically, it would be in your best interests to contact these companies, and try your best to establish what exactly their blue colors look like in real life, before you went out and bought a new set on spec.

Using a top quality vinyl repair man is an option i guess,but trying to fix those large cracks is very hard because the back up behind the vinyl surface is so spongy and flexible. I have doubts about how good the final repair would end up looking as well, even though you could color match the blue and spray color around the repair area.

I think the first thing you need to address, is re modding that dodgy speaker setup, and recessing it into the door shell more so it doesn't protrude as much.

If you can't find repro door cards with a blue that matches well, then a last option is to get the new cards resprayed in a special color matched paint.If you went that way, then i would make sure that everything fits up well first on the new cards, then refinish them next, and then do the final install.

If the respray option appeals to you, and you want more tech info about what exactly is involved in doing that, then i would be glad to help you there later on.Best of luck with it all.

Greg.:)

Hi digi,

I would love to have a magic wand and supply you with all the correct answers to help you out and solve your problems, but my knowledge is limited in regards to what exact blue colors the repro companies are selling with their door cards these days. I guess looking at it logically, it would be in your best interests to contact these companies, and try your best to establish what exactly their blue colors look like in real life, before you went out and bought a new set on spec.

Using a top quality vinyl repair man is an option i guess,but trying to fix those large cracks is very hard because the back up behind the vinyl surface is so spongy and flexible. I have doubts about how good the final repair would end up looking as well, even though you could color match the blue and spray color around the repair area.

I think the first thing you need to address, is re modding that dodgy speaker setup, and recessing it into the door shell more so it doesn't protrude as much.

If you can't find repro door cards with a blue that matches well, then a last option is to get the new cards resprayed in a special color matched paint.If you went that way, then i would make sure that everything fits up well first on the new cards, then refinish them next, and then do the final install.

If the respray option appeals to you, and you want more tech info about what exactly is involved in doing that, then i would be glad to help you there later on.Best of luck with it all.

Thanks a lot. I think you are right. I think best I can do is go repro and if color is not good enough spray them. I wish there was a true ripped vinyl miracle kit!

I just finished my door panels and interior panels. The door panels were Mustang market but not a good match in black. I ended up using SEM. Color coat Satin black and spayed every thing. Can out perfect.

I have the same issue I have look all over for the correct blue, I am on my second set and the color is off. Too bad we both have bad driver doors or we could switch.View attachment 3905020160409_120448_001.jpg20160409_120448_001.jpg

20160409_120252_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same issue I have look all over for the correct blue, I am on my second set and the color is off. Too bad we both have bad driver doors or we could switch.
Hi there,

Sorry to see you are suffering from a situation that i suspected might be the case in regards getting a good color match for the original factory blue color on the repro door cards. I just went through a similar situation when i went to replace the sail panels in my all original interior blue '73 Mach 1 Mustang.

I dealt with C J Pony, and their pics they used to describe the range of colors on sale was not listed accurately. They had a Wedgewood blue and a Dark blue in the color range, but from the pics there was no real difference between the colors. I first ordered the Wedgewood blue and the color ended up being WAY too light. The second Dark blue color was more close to my interior and that was acceptable.They were good about the exchange and it was a no fuss operation.

Lastly, if you go ahead and refinish your door cards, and you want tech advice on color or application, let me know too. BTW - When i look at my '73 original factory blue door cards, there is a very tiny amount of a metallic sheen to the appearance and finish of the color itself. Bare that in mind for the color math up if you get the repro cards resprayed.

Cheers,

I have the same issue I have look all over for the correct blue, I am on my second set and the color is off. Too bad we both have bad driver doors or we could switch.
THanks a lot. Man that blue is off. WHere did you buy those? Why is there no chrome strip above the carpet top? I could buy those and just spray them the same rattle can blue I have been using. What are you going to do or try next?

I just finished my door panels and interior panels. The door panels were Mustang market but not a good match in black. I ended up using SEM. Color coat Satin black and spayed every thing. Can out perfect.
Thanks Jim, I looked at them, sadly they dont have any blue. I mean I could go white and paint them blue, but it seems to make more sense to get a base blue thats close and spray a topcoat of my shade if need be.

I order those from summit racing and they were drop shipped from dashes direct. I have not checked the fit yet on them since i just received them a few days ago. I still need to get the correct carpet and see if I can reuse the trim piece at the bottom of the door. If they fit then I will have to dye them since the correct color cannot be found.

Thanks Austin if you have the correct color match please post it for me, if they fit I will have to dye them.

Thanks Austin if you have the correct color match please post it for me, if they fit I will have to dye them.
Hi trac,

I do not possess the "correct color"match as you would imagine.

It must be said that the process involved to obtain a correct color match that is the same as what color you have on your existing blue door cards, is one of making up a custom color that is eye matched.This process involves a professional auto spray painter who is very well versed in the process of color matching auto paint to end up matching any color that can be imagined, and matching that color accurately. In your case, he would have your door cards in his possession,and would choose a suitable type of paint to use for this application, and then make up a quantity of paint, and color match that paint to completely match your existing door cards.

You see, your existing door cards are a one off color due to aging and fading and varying Ford production runs, just as my '73 blue door cards would be a one off color as well in that sense. No two blue door cards would be exactly the same, close maybe, but not the same. That is why, going to a shop and trying to buy a dye or any type of paint off the shelf, doesn't quite get you the correct color match that you are chasing for your own car. It may be close, but not the same. In other words one size doesn't fit all.

To get the exact color you are chasing, you will need to find a good auto spray painter to custom color match a suitable paint to refinish your door cards to end up getting the correct result. That's how the whole process works.

Thanks,

Thanks Jim, I looked at thtem, sadly they dont have any blue. I mean I could go white and paint them blue, but it seems to make more sense to get a base blue thats close and spray a topcoat of my shade if need be.
Call SEM directly. They might have the formula that you can have mixed at a local supplier. The satin black that I used was not the exact formula for our 7173s but I painted all of my interior so it was close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
How well did yours fit up? Mine were terrible. Overall width was shorter. If I mounted in center then back edge showed too much unpainted metal. If I slid it back to hide that the window crank is WAY over to edge of hole no where near the center!

No big promise here but in the 70's I bought a crashed 72 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed T-5 with the dream of fixing it. I pulled most of the interior out and put in black garbage bags into the hoard. I did not pull the passenger door panel for some reason nor the fold down rear seat. The drivers door panel has been in the dark barn since about 1976 car had 32,000 miles on it. I have not laid eyes on the panel in all those years. I will go pull it today and take some pictures. I will post here and take offers. I know they are difficult to find I did sell a perfect pair of original black ones on eBay and was going to do this one also if it is still good.

The trim does not come with any of the new door panels I am aware of you have to transfer from your existing door. I would also consider even trade for really nice Ginger drivers door panel. This was a manual window car.

No big promise here but in the 70's I bought a crashed 72 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed T-5 with the dream of fixing it. I pulled most of the interior out and put in black garbage bags into the hoard. I did not pull the passenger door panel for some reason nor the fold down rear seat. The drivers door panel has been in the dark barn since about 1976 car had 32,000 miles on it. I have not laid eyes on the panel in all those years. I will go pull it today and take some pictures. I will post here and take offers. I know they are difficult to find I did sell a perfect pair of original black ones on eBay and was going to do this one also if it is still good.

The trim does not come with any of the new door panels I am aware of you have to transfer from your existing door. I would also consider even trade for really nice Ginger drivers door panel. This was a manual window car.
Thanks! But I wish this was a month ago before I shelled out bucks for my 2 new ones! Maybe someone else will want it. I know I would try that before the new stuff if I could go back in time

Just a suggestion.. A good automotive paint supply shop can match the interior color. Some can even make up a spray can of the paint for you if you don't have a compressor and spray gun of your own.. I've had this done several times and the color match is perfect. The spray cans they make up can be expensive, but the pigment is dense and the can is expensive.. Plan on paying $20 or more for one spray can.

Back