blue dot in the tail light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone ever drilled holes in the tail light of the 71-73 and installed some blue dots ? if so how do they look?
For what purpose?
from a distance the tail lights have a purple glow or halo untell you get close. then they appear normal, just something that i have seen on some hot rods around town might be a cool affect just woundering if anyone tried it and how it looks

They are illegal in a some states. Although I am not a fan of them, they do look cool on some rides...not sure how you would make it look right on our cars with the tail light set up that we have.

That's a 50s-era thing. Would ptobably seem out of place to most on a Mustang.

Florida allows "blue dots" on cars over 25 years old and on "custom built vehicles" and "street rods". Motorcycles aren't specifically included or excluded.

I kinda agree with Kit on this one though. IMO, the design of our tail lights doesn't lend itself well to adding blue dots.

Just doesn't fit with our era of cars. I was never a fan even on the hot rods.

from the 'net:

"Lynx-Eye Blue-dot taillamp lenses were NEVER used as factory equipment on any production vehicle. They were an accessory available at auto parts and hardware stores beginning sometime in the late 30s.

When Federal/State vehicle standards were regarding lighting were standardized the lenses became "illegal" since the only color lights showable by law from the rear are red, amber and a white licenese illumination light.

I visited a junkyard in Industry TX years ago and found about 1/3 of the cars there had blue-dot lenses. That was the only junkyard I ever saw these lenses in vehicles in these numbers.

The Blue-Dots have become "legend" so the reality of the matter is lost in the fog of memories and dreams. From all I have read and heard from "old-timers" they were never the norm in car circles, never universally popular throughout the country, and ceased being available sometime around 1957-58. The newest counter display I have ever seen had a 57 Chevy lens as the newest and I have seen counter displays with 40 Fords as the newest and 49 Fords as the newest."

"The story I was told was they were used back when doctors mad house calls. If a doctor had blue dots, the cops knew not to pull him over if he was speeding. Once the hot rodders found out, they put them on so the cops wouldn't give chase at night."

Interesting lore if nothing else...

Ray

from the 'net:

"Lynx-Eye Blue-dot taillamp lenses were NEVER used as factory equipment on any production vehicle. They were an accessory available at auto parts and hardware stores beginning sometime in the late 30s.

When Federal/State vehicle standards were regarding lighting were standardized the lenses became "illegal" since the only color lights showable by law from the rear are red, amber and a white licenese illumination light.

I visited a junkyard in Industry TX years ago and found about 1/3 of the cars there had blue-dot lenses. That was the only junkyard I ever saw these lenses in vehicles in these numbers.

The Blue-Dots have become "legend" so the reality of the matter is lost in the fog of memories and dreams. From all I have read and heard from "old-timers" they were never the norm in car circles, never universally popular throughout the country, and ceased being available sometime around 1957-58. The newest counter display I have ever seen had a 57 Chevy lens as the newest and I have seen counter displays with 40 Fords as the newest and 49 Fords as the newest."

"The story I was told was they were used back when doctors mad house calls. If a doctor had blue dots, the cops knew not to pull him over if he was speeding. Once the hot rodders found out, they put them on so the cops wouldn't give chase at night."

Ray
"and ceased being available sometime around 1957-58"

Not sure if you meant they weren't widely available at that particular time, but they are still around today and legal in some states depending on the vehicle.

Found in latest edition of LMC truck catalog

LMC catalog page.jpg

from the 'net:

Ray

Not sure if you meant they weren't widely available at that particular time, but they are still around today and legal in some states depending on the vehicle.

::huh:::

Not my words - hence "from the 'net" I just captured some related text and posted. Nice you found it - I'd bet you can buy them on ebay too. I can't see a demand for them to be utilized on our cars. I like the LED look (discussed and being developed in another thread) much better for a cool modded tailight.

Ray

from the 'net:

Ray

Not my words - hence "from the 'net" I just captured some related text and posted. Nice you found it - I'd bet you can buy them on ebay too. I can't see a demand for them to be utilized on our cars. I like the LED look (discussed and being developed in another thread) much better for a cool modded tailight.

Ray
Sorry Ray. Didn't mean to attribute that statement to you. I missed the "from the net" you included at the beginning. I have a 67 Ford F100 that I've been tinkering with for several years so I have my nose in the LMC catalog quite a bit. When I read that statement in your post I immediately remembered seeing those little things listed in it.

Ray
Sorry Ray. Didn't mean to attribute that statement to you. I missed the "from the net" you included at the beginning. I have a 67 Ford F100 that I've been tinkering with for several years so I have my nose in the LMC catalog quite a bit. When I read that statement in your post I immediately remembered seeing those little things listed in it.
No problem. I have a 66 F100 but mine needs a LOT! Fun trucks for sure.

Thanks - Ray

Don't know about the blue dots but rumor has it that there was a time (before GPS tracking devices) that the good guys would use an ice pick to place a nice little hole in the tail lights of cars of the bad guys they wanted to keep track of at night.

Back