Blue thunder intake manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timhutcheson

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Fastback, 351 C, 4bbl
What are your thoughts on the Blue Thunder aluminum intake manifold.  I have a 1971 351-4V that needs rebuilding and I bought a Blue Thunder hearing it was great.  Need some input from the collective.

Thank you, Tim

It depends on the rest of the build. If it is an otherwise stock 4V you might be better off with a regular performer. If you have upgraded the cam, installed headers and exhaust, rear gear etc...the blue thunder may be a good choice.

I have one on my 72 Q code and love it! My engine has been rebuilt and is not stock. It works very well with my combo. I have a Crower cam and hydraulic lifters, 71 closed chamber heads with stainless steel valves, Crane Gold aluminum roller rockers, flat top 10.3:1 forged pistons, stock rods and crank and a Quick Fuel HR 735 vacuum secondary carb. I have Hooker headers with h pipe and turbo mufflers. It’s all connected to a c6 trans with a Trans Go shift kit and a Truetrac posi with 3.50 gears. It runs very good, spins the tires very easily and I am very happy with it. I actually could use some wider rear tires, I only have P235’s on it now. Here’s a couple pics of it. If there’s anything else you need to know, feel free to ask.

F5DC5D8A-807F-4014-B78F-3BB0D903DEBA.jpeg

098BBDD9-FC58-4030-96D5-2BB18A3B54F8.jpeg

It is a good intake for performance application as Tommy said. I have one on my 408C. They can benefit by putting a gentle radius at the carb mounting pad to runner transition for the upper runners. Chuck

I have one running with a FiTech EFI. Very happy with it. I added a 1/4" semi-open gasket in between the manifold and the TBI. It runs great. No idea if the 1/4" gasket does anything but at least it works as an insulator. That has me maxed out in filter height since I am running a RAM air setup. Note: I modified my air plenum to lower the air filter gasket about 1/2".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back