Bob Seger's 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quote from the article for those who don't like clicking on links:

"Seger loves his 1971 Mustang, a 429 SCJ Super Cobra Jet. "I love listening to the big block," he says. "That's what I love about it. It's very comfortable. It's a hardtop, grabber green. It's totally unrestored; it's the way it was when it came out of the factory and it looks really good. I know the definitive Boss 9 or 429 is the '69-'70 but I prefer the '71. I can't remember the guy's name, but some Japanese designer designed it for Ford. And I just love the design. I think it's beautiful."

He gives it a 5 out of 10 because of the big rear end. "It's pretty loud if you get going over 70," he says, laughing. "It's all about straight-line speed with the big block. It doesn't corner real well or anything like that.""

Last edited by a moderator:
He must be a bit confused when he says it was "designed by some Japanese guy...". He is probably referring to famed Ford ( and GM!) car designer Larry Shinoda, who was Japanese in ancestry.

However, as most of us here know, Shinoda did NOT design this car and in fact pretty much hated the design...which was actually designed by Gale Halderman's design group.

I don't care if it was designed by Bullwinkle...I love every facet of its design. It is one of only two classic 60s-era cars that look perfect from any angle, and consequently just one of two I never get tired of looking at.

The other one?

67-69 Dodge Charger. Just an astoundingly beautiful creation from every angle. Bill Brownlie's masterpiece.

Last edited:
When I bought my 1973 Lincoln Mark IV in Holt, Mich., the car was taken from the showroom and moved to a separate storage hall. Away from car buyer traffic.

In there, it was parked next to a black 56 or 57 Chevy. The salesman told me, the car was bought some days earlier by Bob Seger. If that was true, the guy has some more nice cars...

A '71 Mustang is an odd choice for Bob Seger; I would have thought he'd much prefer to own a silver Bullitt.....
tada.gif

HjWR1PL.jpg

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week....
groucho.gif

200.gif

Back