Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What front disc brake calipers, rotors and brackets are those? I can see the Wilwood logo on the caliper, but are tose brackets ones you made yourself or had made?

What number rotors and hub assy?

Thanks, Curtis

What front disc brake calipers, rotors and brackets are those? I can see the Wilwood logo on the caliper, but are tose brackets ones you made yourself or had made?

What number rotors and hub assy?

Thanks, Curtis
Curtis,

They are Wilwood Disks. The kit included everything to bolt up to the existing spindles and need a 15" rim at minimum. This is a conversion kit so it will work for original drum or disk brake spindles. It is a direct replacement for drum spindles but for disk spindles you will need to enlarge the 3 bolt holes and retap the screw holes. Mine were the disk brake so I had to modify the spindles. Conversion was really easy. Wilwood kit number 140-11073-D (this is for drilled and slotted rotors).

On the first pic you can see the original 3 bolt holes, Second pic you can see the 3 bolts holding the new adapter plate and what i'll call the Micky Mouse ears that the calipers mount to. 3rd pic with the rotors on and lastly the calipers attached. Last pic shows hose which has to be purchased seperately because the OEM hose does not adapt correctly.

BTW on the last pic the hole above the caliper is for the bolt that held the original caliper.

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't work on the AC or heater because the parts did not arrive yet. I decided to try to figure out where I was going to mount the remote pwr steering reservoir. Thought about it awhile and made up a bracket and welded a cross bar and then ground down the welds and I think it will work. I put on the old windsheild wiper resevoir to show you how I did it. I think its going to work ok.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

2/11/13

Didn't do much yesterday. Cleaned parts and painted them. Also thought about the remote reservoir bracket that I made and posted a day earlier and because the length of the bar is so long I thought that it would bounce up and down and eventually droop because of the weight. I fixed that by welding on a small peice that will rest on the winshield washer reservoir. That will keep it from drooping anyway. AC and heater parts arrive on the 14th so next week starts the dash removal.

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

Went through alot of the same the last couple of years. Good luck.:):)

2/16/13

Still waiting for parts for my heater so I decided to put an adjustable proportioning valve to the back discs so that I could get the braking feel that I wanted. Also put in new brake fluid and bled all the brakes while I was at this. Ordered a Power Motive brake bleeder which made it a cinch to do. What I liked about this is that you pressurize the bottle and it forces the fluid through the lines when you open the bleed valve at the brakes. Also with the system pressurized I could find all the connections that were leaking. Just fill the tank with fluid and it keeps the brake fluid reservoir filled all the time. I think that I like this more than using a hand vacuum pump. Pics below

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

3/2/13 Let the fun begin

Parts are in for the heater core replacement so the process of removing the dash is about to begin. I'll try to document all the steps with pictures as I go along with the actual dash removal. Plans are to replace all the foam in the heater box and anything else that comes up. Also replacing AC evaporator core and blower motor as I don't plan to go into this again. Windshield is now removed and interior is pretty well gutted and I plan to do this job pretty slow so I don't mess anything up. More to come.

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

Wow! That's looking great! I'm doin a very similar restomod on my 73 convertible! Maybe we can trade notes! LOL!

3/3/13

Only got to work on the heater project a couple of hours today. Found that alot of the plastic peices are so brittle they just fell apart no matter how careful I was. Spent a lot of time labeling the connections and bagging the screws as I removed pieces. Looks like I'll be ordering alot of dash trim pieces tomorrow.

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

Wow! That's looking great! I'm doin a very similar restomod on my 73 convertible! Maybe we can trade notes! LOL!
I plan to take it to Vegas for the 50th Mustang birthday bash, maybe we can look over each others poject there :)
That would be great! I'll be there for the whole event (Already took time off from work). Looking forward to meeting you!

Travis

3/16/13

Pulled the heater box today and started to break down the parts for cleaning and to replace the soft seals. I used the 73 mustang shop manual, followed the steps and it came out fairly easy, thought that I would have to remove the dash frame but that wasn't the case. Not too dirty in there, some leaves, tie wraps and alot of dust. It did have a heater core leak as I saw 2 parts on the core that had calcium deposits on it and some of the flappers were rusted. Tomorrow I'll sand bast the metal parts and start attaching the soft seals. Did run into one issue though. For the AC thermostat there is a tube that runs into the evaporator core. The replacement that I have does not have the holes drilled into the fins to place this tube in. Has anyone else run into this problem. Overall though the heater box wasn't brittle and none of the tabs for the clips broke :)

pics attached:

While I was at this decided to remove the tach/speedo assy and clean it up and relamp the unit. There are 11 bulbs in this cluster. It's much easier now than trying to reach all the lights when the unit is inplace in the dash. It looks like a new instrument cluster again.

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

How does the under side of your cowl look, Is there any rust?
No rust. You can see that it looks almost new underneath. I have no major rust issues, the only spot was around the rear taillights which was a simple repair. I attached a pic of what I found when the heater box was removed

3/17/13

Removed all the flappers, sandblasted the rusty parts, reglued the new soft seals and reassembled the heater core section. Was unable to finist the AC side until I find out about the temperature probe that needs to go into the evaporator core. So far I am happy with the results.

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

You're way ahead of me, and that's okay, Your pictures and descriptions you post are a great help. I have the shop manual, but it isn't the greatest....... Keep up the good work! Looking great!

Back