Bond's Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if that was the car from the movie someone modified it afterwards. In the movie it did not have those weird side stripes that go over the roof, the hood pins, or the blacked out hood, and it is missing the passenger side sport mirror. 

Yeah, not so sure. Those "graphics" look like they were painted on by a 5 year old, pretty crappy if you ask me. Maybe time to go back and watch that movie again. 

A few years ago (3 or 4) I saw the REAL James Bond Aston Martin movie car from Goldfinger (I think) as it was being restored at RM Restoration in Blenheim Ontario, which is nearby where I live. The only parts that were not operational was the machine guns and ejection seat!!! Now that car was worth millions! I wish I'd taken some pictures, but it was a spur of the moment trip out to RM, so no camera.

Kurt (cudak888) did some very extensive research on the DAF cars.  Don’t think he’s been online for awhile but his topics may still be out there.

Edit: An early one but good link to a description of the cars used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it could be a combination of things.  For one, its been 50 years since the movie was made.  Certainly somebody along the way could have let their friend or hippy girlfriend do those ugly doodles.  There were a lot of drugs getting done in the 70s and 80s.

And it could also be that there were multiple red mach1 mustangs used in the film.  The article linked above says there were 5 of them.  Its not realistic to think that all of the main cars and stunt cars and extra/backup cars would remain in the exact same state that they were in during the filming of the movie.  Like if you saw an exhibit for the general lee charger.  In reality, there were more than 300 general lees used and destroyed during the dukes of hazzard's run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt (cudak888) did some very extensive research on the DAF cars.  Don’t think he’s been online for awhile but his topics may still be out there.
That's who I was thinking of  - @cudak888. Found one of his posts on the IMDB site, which is where I read that the 066 car with graphics wasn't a Bond car, but had been bought by the Fleming Foundation based on incomplete information. Maybe he can pop in and give us an update, since the In Search of Mustangs site sends up all sorts of warnings....

https://www.imcdb.org/v002190.html

That's who I was thinking of  - @cudak888. Found one of his posts on the IMDB site, which is where I read that the 066 car with graphics wasn't a Bond car, but had been bought by the Fleming Foundation based on incomplete information. Maybe he can pop in and give us an update, since the In Search of Mustangs site sends up all sorts of warnings....

https://www.imcdb.org/v002190.html
That's some interesting stuff. 

This is a link to the exhibit

https://www.petersen.org/bond

There were many cool cars, subs, boats and gadgets there.
Interesting that the comment with the Aston Martin says it is a 64. Well it may be, but any Brit around my age will know that the reg number, assigned to the car when first registered, is a 63. "A" at the end indicates it is a '63 reg, but yes, the car itself could be a 64 as "car years" are not the same as calendar years. As there were actually several cars built for the movie(s), I would think that reg plate was reproduced for each. Afterall, they were for a movie, not the street.

Yeah, not so sure. Those "graphics" look like they were painted on by a 5 year old, pretty crappy if you ask me. Maybe time to go back and watch that movie again.

A few years ago (3 or 4) I saw the REAL James Bond Aston Martin movie car from Goldfinger (I think) as it was being restored at RM Restoration in Blenheim Ontario, which is nearby where I live. The only parts that were not operational was the machine guns and ejection seat!!! Now that car was worth millions! I wish I'd taken some pictures, but it was a spur of the moment trip out to RM, so no camera.
If you go back to watch Goldfinger, the car goes up one side to two-wheel, but when it exits the narrow alley, it is on the opposite side...... One of those trivia things...

If you go back to watch Goldfinger, the car goes up one side to two-wheel, but when it exits the narrow alley, it is on the opposite side...... One of those trivia things...
I have that movie, but I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 was in Diamonds are forever. (DAF). That movie I need to get.

Revisiting this subject. For Christmas, I got the complete 24 movie set on Blue-Ray. We started watching in sequence when there was nothing on TV other than "repeats-repeats.......... Last night, we watched "Goldfinger" (yes, more repeats). Compared to the quality of movie making today, it was pretty basic, but boy, it takes you back to all the neat cars that, at the time, we took for granted. The Mustang convertible had to have been a very early production one. I got a laugh when they crushed that Lincoln, then dropped it in the back of that Ranchero (I think) and it hardly dropped the rear end. Only in movies!
Anyway, in Blue-Ray, the quality is very good compared to the original VHS tape.
One more to go, Thunderball, before we get to DAF.........

Last edited:
Just watched Thunderball last night. I'm noticing the movie quality is getting better as the series progressed. However, I'm just wondering how they got the Aston fixed after it hit a wall pretty hard in Goldfinger?
Next on the list is Diamonds are Forever........... Maybe tonight if tv sucks.

Steven Segal had one on "Marked for Death". I believe its a 73...or was. Course, Hollywood had to crush and burn it with a front end loader.

I have that movie, but I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 was in Diamonds are forever. (DAF). That movie I need to get.
My bad, it was the Red Mach 1 in Diamonds are Forever. My memory is starting to slip. Shot in Vegas!! Love it.

My bad, it was the Red Mach 1 in Diamonds are Forever. My memory is starting to slip. Shot in Vegas!! Love it.
No problem. I just got the complete James Bond set of 24 movies on Blue-Ray and going through them in order. 1 more to go before DAF..

Back