Boss 351 article Hot Rod magazine July 2014

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the article. It is a great car and Dave is a good guy. Great to see him get national attention. Chuck

That is a beautiful car, no doubt! Who among us would not love to care for that thing?

Two observations: The interior dash panels are all matching and the correct (and rare) camera-case finish WITHOUT "chrome" trim rings...the original standard interior pieces on a BOSS 351. This is so many times incorrect or mismatched on many "concours" cars. Good job!

However...I think I am the lone dissenter in my claim that Ford NEVER made a front spolier for these cars in argent...all were black on production vehicles. The argent spoilers "look" absolutely correct on argent-lower cars, but I have never seen an original argent front spoiler on a BOSS 351, only black...even on argent-lower cars.

If someone has some definitive proof otherwise, I would be anxious to see it.

Where does yours fit on that ladder Chuck?
I feel it is on par with Dave's car in accuracy (performance exceptions) and workmanship. Of course mine is a Mach 1 not a Boss 351. My car was awarded Concours Driven Gold at the 2012 MCA Grand Nationals. 690 points out of 700 possible. Great to hear from you Mark! PM or email me with an update on your car and you. Chuck

I am still a doubting Thomas: I don't believe Ford ever installed argent front spoilers on BOSS 351s.

Regardless of stories of NOS argent spoilers,I just don't believe it. Are there any period publicity photos from Ford showing one? Any old photos from back in the day at a dealership?

How come there is no evidence of two part #s?

I was very much involved with these cars when new a remember seeing several new BOSS 351s in showrooms and on lots...none with argent spoilers, even the cars with argent 2-tone.

I have seen plenty new ( back in the day) with black spoilers on argent-lower cars. Why would several then-new cars have the "wrong" color spoilers?

It will take a bit to convince me...

I am still a doubting Thomas: I don't believe Ford ever installed argent front spoilers on BOSS 351s.

Regardless of stories of NOS argent spoilers,I just don't believe it. Are there any period publicity photos from Ford showing one? Any old photos from back in the day at a dealership?

How come there is no evidence of two part #s?

I was very much involved with these cars when new a remember seeing several new BOSS 351s in showrooms and on lots...none with argent spoilers, even the cars with argent 2-tone.

I have seen plenty new ( back in the day) with black spoilers on argent-lower cars. Why would several then-new cars have the "wrong" color spoilers?

It will take a bit to convince me...
Interesting. So, in that vein, then no Mach 1's came with argent spoilers either?

Last edited by a moderator:
No mach 1s came with any front spoilers...in black or argent. The front spoiler was standard equipment and available ONLY on the BOSS 351. It was not optionally available on any other model.

And of course, this is only in 71. Not available at all in 72 or 73.

Of course, it was easily available over the parts counter the whole time.

thanks for sharing the article... gonna have to pick up a paper copy.. always nice to see 7173s get near the top of the heap since amongst Mustang folk, even my own club, some people don't get it...

Back