Boss 351 Oil Pan and Windage tray

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi, Can anyone tell me please if anyone makes a boss 351 oem style pan thanks, As i know it would be damn near impossible to source. Would anyone have measurements or drawings to fabricate thanks Monty

No one that I know of...
All 70-71 351C M-Codes, and all CJ oil pans had the lower baffles like the Boss 351C did.
Some aftermarket pans come with a lower baffle... you could just make the upper one.
BUT no one will see it so I would buy a windage that bolts to the bottom of the block.
MPG had a very good style but they stopped making them... so look at a Canton 351C windage about $100.00

Good luck

Boss 351C internals
6707EBF2-B351-419E-B1DD-52ED07C86064_1_105_c.jpeg

Extra Boss only scraper & baffle
1586B0B0-4296-4614-A6D3-457B9528FCAE_1_105_c.jpeg

A MPG windage & scraper
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 8.17.07 AM.png

Last edited:
Boss 351 used the same oil pan as the 351CJ and 351HO, which had a slosh baffle and the crank scraper. . Service replacement number D1ZZ-6375-C. The 2V and 4V had only the baffle in the sump.

Yous should be able to find good used ones in the usual spots - eBay, marketplace etc. I have seen a couple of the later NOS units pop up, that don't have the sump tray. IIRC, they are a D7xx number.

Boss 351 used the same oil pan as the 351CJ and 351HO, which had a slosh baffle and the crank scraper. . Service replacement number D1ZZ-6375-C. The 2V and 4V had only the baffle in the sump.

Hemikiller... interested in how you know? There is a lot of bad data out there on the internet... youtube even more BS [jm2c]

I'm a first owner/current of a 73 H-Code [and purchased many 70 untouched blocks], no baffles on 2V.. Second owner of a 70 M-code [first owner was Ford Motor Company, used from their 'B' lot] and a current owner of an untouched 70 M-code only lower baffle. {I have wrenched on 351C's since 1971... ]

Never saw the Boss extra baffle on a CJ [untouched, maybe owner added?]

Have no experience w/HO or R motors.

You can see I'm not challenging you, just want hard data...
icejawa PMed me about his new motor
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/ideas-where-to-buy-engine-block.34545/page-5#post-377125

Most of my knowledge comes from first hand experience. I paid for several restorations by parting out 71-73 cars. Knowing what parts were valuable was key, and the CJ pan as I used to call it was a good one. I've had two 72 351CJ engines that came out of wrecked/rotted parts cars. Both had the baffle and scraper, and were untouched as far as I could tell. Almost every one of the dozens of 70-73 2Vs I've owned had at least the baffle plate in the sump, think I've seen maybe one or two without. At least one had a the Boss/CJ pan. Can't quantify which one was which, nor did I check dates or stamps on the pans. Two years ago I bought a very early (105xxx VIN) 71 351-2V sportsroof that looked like it got used in a Dukes of Hazard stunt, with a stuffed oil pan and bearings to match, also had a baffle in the sump. Motor was very original, down to the Ford bearings and fifty years of goop in the pan. Going to say that I also read articles of the years stating as such. There are several others here that I trust, that have had similar experiences.

As always, it's "never say never" when we're talking about an assembly with production schedules.

1645208756723.png

As always, it's "never say never" when we're talking about an assembly with production schedules.
Parents purchased a new 64-1/4 mustang 289 2v. Brother raced his friends never lost. When it came to me I installed a 289 4V, sold old one to a friend. When disassembled motor had just two 2V pistons and six 289 4V HIPO's...

Yes, no one wants to stop the production line lol thks

No one that I know of...
All 70-71 351C M-Codes, and all CJ oil pans had the lower baffles like the Boss 351C did.
Some aftermarket pans come with a lower baffle... you could just make the upper one.
BUT no one will see it so I would buy a windage that bolts to the bottom of the block.
MPG had a very good style but they stopped making them... so look at a Canton 351C windage about $100.00

Good luck

Boss 351C internals
View attachment 59938

Extra Boss only scraper & baffle
View attachment 59937

A MPG windage & scraper
View attachment 59939
Thankyou so much already more info than I have.

Most of my knowledge comes from first hand experience. I paid for several restorations by parting out 71-73 cars. Knowing what parts were valuable was key, and the CJ pan as I used to call it was a good one. I've had two 72 351CJ engines that came out of wrecked/rotted parts cars. Both had the baffle and scraper, and were untouched as far as I could tell. Almost every one of the dozens of 70-73 2Vs I've owned had at least the baffle plate in the sump, think I've seen maybe one or two without. At least one had a the Boss/CJ pan. Can't quantify which one was which, nor did I check dates or stamps on the pans. Two years ago I bought a very early (105xxx VIN) 71 351-2V sportsroof that looked like it got used in a Dukes of Hazard stunt, with a stuffed oil pan and bearings to match, also had a baffle in the sump. Motor was very original, down to the Ford bearings and fifty years of goop in the pan. Going to say that I also read articles of the years stating as such. There are several others here that I trust, that have had similar experiences.

View attachment 59940
I agree my untouched 2v 351C was 100 % original and has the lower oil pan baffle from the factory. I am pretty sure all 351 Clevelands have at least the lower pan baffle.
Ron

My 72 H code had the lower baffle only.

I have read that the Boss/HO pan is 6 quart. Are the CJ's with both baffles also 6 quart pans?

There was no physical difference in the pan stamping. Ford simply calibrated the B351 dipstick to read full at 6 quarts with filter.

Sounds like a person could run 6 quarts in a regular Cleveland with no issues, then, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

Back