Boss 351 Oil Pan and Windage tray

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My #73 H code stock original motor has no baffles at all in the sump. It may have been pot luck what sumps Ford fitted to the standard cars.

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
Sounds like a person could run 6 quarts in a regular Cleveland with no issues, then, right? Or is there something I'm missing?
Sounds like it, but I suspect if one does so (without having the upper baffle) they run the risk of oil sloshing into the crank..which would not be good for at least a couple of reasons. I'm curious about this....I have a pan handy and can compare different oil volumes to see where the level is and whether it's within the sump. I did this last week with a, so called, 8qt pan and IMO, it's really a 7qt pan.

I also have a pan with the lower baffle and the scraper/tray. If and when, it would be nice to have 'extra' oil capacity. Years ago, before I knew better, my old 70 302 would get a little rattle-y on a certain cloverleaf exit.

.... I'm curious about this....I have a pan handy and can compare different oil volumes to see where the level is and whether it's within the sump. I did this last week with a, so called, 8qt pan and IMO, it's really a 7qt pan.
It's does not matter how high it is in a sitting pan... Because most oil when running is in the top end.

AND there are many differences on OEM 351C's drain backs...
Yes all 351C heads have those drains in the corner of each head, but the 2V are open between the intake runners, 4V it's just the Push Rod openings...
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.34.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.34.54 AM.png

Earlier blocks have those extra drain back holes in the rear corners of the valleys ...
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.38.49 AM.png

Depending on casting flashing the opening drain back valley into the cam chain area can block/slow drain back...
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.44.06 AM.png

Higher RPM adds more top end oil, so does a high volume/pressure oil pump...

MOST people spend time doing oil modifications... when they need to insure the oil gets back to the pan/pump pickup, so the motor gets enough oil...

jm2c

Last edited:
Back