• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Boss 351 project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastbackjon

Reaction score
My Car
Recently acquired a 1971 Boss 351 that is rough as rough gets.
Will need plenty of help on this one !
I tried to list my car direct on this site, but couldnt get pics to download. Sorry to have a craiglist link here instead of a site direct ad. Anyway, I have been a long time Mustang enthusiast and restorer, going on 37 year since I restored my first Mustang. Know a lot of fellow enthusiasts from all over this earth, and have been blessed (sadly?) with the ability to restore a Mustang in my sleep..... haha. With that said, I unfortunately am offering up my Boss project. Any questions just p.m. me and I will get back with you. Yea, is seems overpriced to most, but it is what it is and I am open to offers. (Jokes about the price vs condition are ok too. We both will have a laugh !) If something changes with my situation, I will remove it from being for sale, but for right now I dont foresee that changing. I have had all kinds of Mustangs, a few B302s, a Shelby. All my others have been pre 70. but this was really my first venture into restoring a 71-73 model year car. (my reason for becoming a member here was to gather info and obtain parts for my 351, Originally I had no intention to sell my car or parts) I wanted to restore a B351, got one, but hate to see it go. Here is the link to the craigslist ad. I also have many more pics I can email. Thanks. Jon

NOTE------DUE TO IDIOTIC EMAILS FROM CRAIGLIST SURFERS, CAR IS OFF THAT SITE, LINK HAS BEEN DELETED. PM ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

Here is the original craigslist post description, if you want more info/pics just let me know.

True R code 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351. Only 1806 made. Dark green, white interior. This car sat in a field for 30 plus years. Very rough condition but is very restorable. I have done Mustangs in worse condition then this one. Has original engine but was exposed to elements for 30 years. Missing.... trans, intake, distributor, carb, rev limiter, ram air cleaner, valve covers, wheels, front windshield and many many other parts. Was hit in the front and had a clip stick welded up in 1980. The clip is from another 71 mustang, a Mach one. Boss was also hit in the quarter panel on the pass side and very front tip of passenger front fender. But the doors (bottoms rusted bad), the passenger fender and the main body shell are the original Boss car sheet metal. Car will need a complete restoration and additional parts purchased. Have many parts available and can work out something if buyer is serious. I will take appointments via email only. Current Iowa title (long time previous owner who lost title, but always was an Iowa car so got one through the bonding process) Original VIN tag from dash and the Ford spec sticker on the drivers door are both present- showing the car is a true Boss. I also have the simple Marti report verifying that as well. Dont hesitate to come look at it, this cars are out there but very few project ones and below 10k any more. I dont not have the time to restore this now due to more important things that have come up that take precedence, like medical payments......but this car is worth restoring. contact me via email. Asking $9495 but will definitely take less on a quick sale. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the front was replaced after an accident with a Mach 1 clip does that mean the Vin# on the frame doesn't match the Boss dash vin? If so that could be a major issue for someone wanting to restore a Boss in that condition.

I wouldn't call that a front clip, more like half a car...

Since the front was replaced after an accident with a Mach 1 clip does that mean the Vin# on the frame doesn't match the Boss dash vin? If so that could be a major issue for someone wanting to restore a Boss in that condition.
Your observation is very true, but tell me what the difference is- versus replacing rusted out or damaged inner fenders or rebuilding a salvage or totaled out car with a crunched front end? You either have to cut out and reweld the stamped portions from the old car, or weld in new panels and restamp the apron, which, correct me if I am wrong, is not legal but is done anyway in the hobby? I do understand someone wanting a correct stamped car, but those wanting that are not going to pay 10k for a restoration project. It will be more $$ as the market has moved toward these model years now. (Sure you can obtain a "find" but how often does that happen nowadays vs in the past.) I am offering up this project with all history, being open about it, and with a legal title showing a 1971 R code Mustang with the body of the car being original. Am I asking too much, yes. Can I come down on price, yes. Do I have a bunch of parts, yes. Is this a car for the backyard hobbyist like myself, yes. In the end, when it / if it/ is completed, you will have a Boss car with a history. If a person is wanting to buy, restore and flip for profit, this isnt for that person, or a person wanting to show this car for points when done, then find another one.

I wouldn't call that a front clip, more like half a car...
Ha, Yea, I dont know why they did that way back when but there was a reason right or wrong. From what I have been told it wasnt hit that hard any way and saving vin aprons wasnt in their agenda I guess.

Well, the big difference is that they don't make repop shock towers, which is where the stamped VINs are found under the hood. No matter what method you use, when you remove original shock towers, you're removing original pedigree, aprons/inner fenders/whatever else on front clip is fair game.

Cutting out the VINs from the tops of the original shock towers and keeping them with the car is the way to go in a case like that. I 'clipped mine as well, and that's what I did on the advice of several members who've had experience in this area.

Good luck getting your asking price for that car (seriously - I'm not being sarcastic or anything). I agree that it's totally restorable. Mine's 'just' an H-Code that was in about the same shape as yours when I got it... for $1600. I'm over $42K into mine with repop parts - which could easily be doubled using rare OEM NOS parts (if you can find them)... and easily tripled (or more), depending on how much labor the owner got stuck paying for (I did 90-95% of my own work, so I saved big-time). You're going to have a hard time finding the right buyer for it, I think.

I just re-read your post, and it sounds like you've already considered everything regarding the restoration and actual value.

Well, the big difference is that they don't make repop shock towers, which is where the stamped VINs are found under the hood. No matter what method you use, when you remove original shock towers, you're removing original pedigree, aprons/inner fenders/whatever else on front clip is fair game.

Cutting out the VINs from the tops of the original shock towers and keeping them with the car is the way to go in a case like that. I 'clipped mine as well, and that's what I did on the advice of several members who've had experience in this area.

Good luck getting your asking price for that car (seriously - I'm not being sarcastic or anything). I agree that it's totally restorable. Mine's 'just' an H-Code that was in about the same shape as yours when I got it... for $1600. I'm over $42K into mine with repop parts - which could easily be doubled using rare OEM NOS parts (if you can find them)... and easily tripled (or more), depending on how much labor the owner got stuck paying for (I did 90-95% of my own work, so I saved big-time). You're going to have a hard time finding the right buyer for it, I think.

I just re-read your post, and it sounds like you've already considered everything regarding the restoration and actual value.
Hmm, I was under the impression you could get shock towers for these model years now. Either way, your point is spot on and appreciated. Yea, the intregrity and pedigree of the car is at stake, but it isn't like a rebody, which as most of you know, those different years and body styles of Mustangs are out there too. Think of it, who would have thought 15 years ago, that some manufacturer would be making 67 Fastback shells ! Now look what the shell market offers. ! I , like you have found out, from my past restorations, always end up with a money pit when you do a serious restoration, but I dont do this to make money, just a hobby. I save as many "pieces of history" as I can. (some would say why save this piece of **** ) !. So I already have more then what price I have on the ad, which is what it is, a price. Some people will think its too high, some wont care either way. If my financial situation changes to the good, I will keep it and restore it. If anything, it sure has been a conversation piece ! Jon

Great post....awesome info

Great post....awesome info
FYI--Dynacorn lists 71-73 shock towers numbers 3630Y and 3630Z. Not sure how correct they may be. Maybe a fellow member has had experience with these, seeing or installing.

The big issue is that someone who is going to be putting the needed money into restoring that car is going to want to be 100% sure it's a Boss, not a Mach1 with a Boss Dash Vin# and Boss title that came with the dash. The most reliable way that I know how to do that is by the VIN stamped onto the shock towers but the shock towers were replaced without saving the VIN#'s to help establish pedigree, so the buyer would be going off a dash VIN and title which are at times available on craigslist. I'm not trying to say that's the case at all with your Boss, I'm letting you know why some might be hesitant to buy it and make some recommendations that might help sell it.

Since the shock tower VIN's are gone what would "help" with the pedigree is if you can establish that the VIN# on the engine is a match with the dash VIN, plus document as many BOSS exclusive parts as you can. You may have done that in your Craigslist ad but it's no longer up so I couldn't check it. It would be a shame if someone doesn't take on the task of rebuilding it, there aren't very many still around. Good luck with the sell.

Jim

The big issue is that someone who is going to be putting the needed money into restoring that car is going to want to be 100% sure it's a Boss, not a Mach1 with a Boss Dash Vin# and Boss title that came with the dash. The most reliable way that I know how to do that is by the VIN stamped onto the shock towers but the shock towers were replaced without saving the VIN#'s to help establish pedigree, so the buyer would be going off a dash VIN and title which are at times available on craigslist. I'm not trying to say that's the case at all with your Boss, I'm letting you know why some might be hesitant to buy it and make some recommendations that might help sell it.

Since the shock tower VIN's are gone what would "help" with the pedigree is if you can establish that the VIN# on the engine is a match with the dash VIN, plus document as many BOSS exclusive parts as you can. You may have done that in your Craigslist ad but it's no longer up so I couldn't check it. It would be a shame if someone doesn't take on the task of rebuilding it, there aren't very many still around. Good luck with the sell.

Jim

Valid points Jim. Yes, the engine is the matching one and the car has a history from day one as it is a same family car. But in regards to your reply, I could still take a body, and engine, a dash with VIN plate, get a full blown Marti report with a new door sticker and take a 71 body shell, replace what I needed to represent a Boss car, and put it together, paint it and sell it and you wouldnt know the difference. I could even stamp new shock towers with correctness. But the one difference is, I am being upfront and honest about it. Thats what separates it all.--- Those who know these cars are rare and have a oral history and look at the car, will feel comfortable buying it as every testimony makes sense. Again, it isnt a car for flipping to gain profit. Someone who takes this car and restores it is still going to have a Boss 351. Thats who I am counting on to buy it, so I realize my customer base is extremely limited. so yea, there is a difference certainly, everyone wants a complete correct car. If mine was that case, 15k would be the price. FYI---I took the Craiglist link off because of the idiots emailing me offering trades, comments, etc... And right now, I am hoping to keep it and continue on with gathering parts and restoring it. I have restored over 40 Mustangs during the years (decades I should say) and dont have a problem with this one at all. It is exactly what it is a Boss 351 that had a rough and fun life early on ! Like some of us !

Jim

Valid points Jim. Yes, the engine is the matching one and the car has a history from day one as it is a same family car. But in regards to your reply, I could still take a body, and engine, a dash with VIN plate, get a full blown Marti report with a new door sticker and take a 71 body shell, replace what I needed to represent a Boss car, and put it together, paint it and sell it and you wouldnt know the difference. I could even stamp new shock towers with correctness. But the one difference is, I am being upfront and honest about it. Thats what separates it all.--- Those who know these cars are rare and have a oral history and look at the car, will feel comfortable buying it as every testimony makes sense. Again, it isnt a car for flipping to gain profit. Someone who takes this car and restores it is still going to have a Boss 351. Thats who I am counting on to buy it, so I realize my customer base is extremely limited. so yea, there is a difference certainly, everyone wants a complete correct car. If mine was that case, 15k would be the price. FYI---I took the Craiglist link off because of the idiots emailing me offering trades, comments, etc... And right now, I am hoping to keep it and continue on with gathering parts and restoring it. I have restored over 40 Mustangs during the years (decades I should say) and dont have a problem with this one at all. It is exactly what it is a Boss 351 that had a rough and fun life early on ! Like some of us !

Jim

UPDATE--- I have been trying to obtain a 2012 GT coupe from a 68 year old lady. It is low mile car that I had been trying to get for quite some time. Last year, after months of trying and with other issues pressing, I gave up and decided to buy something cheaper then the GT, which was to be another classic to restore which brought me to obtain this Boss 351 project. But about a month or so ago, the GT became available and I latched onto it. After much thought this past couple of weeks, I have decided to list my 351 project for sale, best offer will get everything I have obtained for it. I have over $12k in this car so far, just gathering parts ! I dont expect anything near that figure. I am hoping this goes to someone on the site to restore it. Sorry, but there is no sense in me keeping it around, though I would love too. But I enjoy driving the GT too much. Add the fact that I am 53 years old and my ambition level to restore a car disappears when I jump in this GT. So, if you are interested, contact me via email and I will send pics, details on the car etc... Saturday morning I am heading down to the storage shed to roll it out and and can take fresh pics then. I can tell you what is missing that is Boss specific. Intake, Carb, Dist, Radiator, Transmission, Shifter and linkage, Rev limiter, Exhaust manifolds ( I do have a set of manifolds though, which one side having been repaired, but the date code is not correct), Air cleaner and snorkel. I do have the Ram Air plate and intake scoops. The title is current, clear, and the engine, though rusty and rough, is the correct engine with the vin clearly showing. You can read more specs and stories about the car via the earlier posts. There has been many member discussion about the 71 mach front end being welded on, the shock tower numbers gone etc... and that is great fodder. I have been restoring Mustangs as a hobby for over 35 years and if we owners and hobbyists didnt have our opinions, viewpoints and passion for this Iconic car, this hobby would be lame! I have garnered some history on the car from when it was sold at the Ford Dealership in Monticello Iowa, so historically there is no doubt it is a Boss 351. Hopefully there will be interest, but if not, then I will go a different route, maybe ebay or part it out, or who knows. Again, all offers are entertained, I wont get upset by any offer. I will be taking a huge bath on this for sure, but it wont be the first Stang that had done that to me !

Jim

UPDATE--- AUGUST 1st, 2015. I have been trying to obtain a 2012 GT coupe from a 68 year old lady. It is low mile car that I had been trying to get for quite some time. Last year, after months of trying and with other issues pressing, I gave up and decided to buy something cheaper then the GT, which was to be another classic to restore which brought me to obtain this Boss 351 project. But about a month or so ago, the GT became available and I latched onto it. After much thought this past couple of weeks, I have decided to list my 351 project for sale, best offer will get everything I have obtained for it. I have over $12k in this car so far, just gathering parts ! I dont expect anything near that figure. I am hoping this goes to someone on the site to restore it. Sorry, but there is no sense in me keeping it around, though I would love too. But I enjoy driving the GT too much. Add the fact that I am 53 years old and my ambition level to restore a car disappears when I jump in this GT. So, if you are interested, contact me via email and I will send pics, details on the car etc... Saturday morning I am heading down to the storage shed to roll it out and and can take fresh pics then. I can tell you what is missing that is Boss specific. Intake, Carb, Dist, Radiator, Transmission, Shifter and linkage, Rev limiter, Exhaust manifolds ( I do have a set of manifolds though, which one side having been repaired, but the date code is not correct), Air cleaner and snorkel. I do have the Ram Air plate and intake scoops. The correct 15 inch wheels with ring and caps are gone. I do have 4 of the original center caps though. The title is current, clear, and the engine, though rusty and rough, is the correct engine with the vin clearly showing. You can read more specs and stories about the car via the earlier posts. There has been many member discussion about the 71 mach front end being welded on, the shock tower numbers gone etc... and that is great fodder. I have been restoring Mustangs as a hobby for over 35 years and if we owners and hobbyists didnt have our opinions, viewpoints and passion for this Iconic car, this hobby would be lame! I have garnered some history on the car from when it was sold at the Ford Dealership in Monticello Iowa, so historically there is no doubt it is a Boss 351. Hopefully there will be interest, but if not, then I will go a different route, maybe ebay or part it out, or who knows. Again, all offers are entertained, I won't get upset by any offer. I will be taking a huge bath on this for sure, but it won't be the first Stang that had done that to me !
Project is back on the market ! Read prior posts to get caught up. Feel free to contact me. Thanks Jon

Jim

UPDATE--- AUGUST 1st, 2015. I have been trying to obtain a 2012 GT coupe from a 68 year old lady. It is low mile car that I had been trying to get for quite some time. Last year, after months of trying and with other issues pressing, I gave up and decided to buy something cheaper then the GT, which was to be another classic to restore which brought me to obtain this Boss 351 project. But about a month or so ago, the GT became available and I latched onto it. After much thought this past couple of weeks, I have decided to list my 351 project for sale, best offer will get everything I have obtained for it. I have over $12k in this car so far, just gathering parts ! I dont expect anything near that figure. I am hoping this goes to someone on the site to restore it. Sorry, but there is no sense in me keeping it around, though I would love too. But I enjoy driving the GT too much. Add the fact that I am 53 years old and my ambition level to restore a car disappears when I jump in this GT. So, if you are interested, contact me via email and I will send pics, details on the car etc... Saturday morning I am heading down to the storage shed to roll it out and and can take fresh pics then. I can tell you what is missing that is Boss specific. Intake, Carb, Dist, Radiator, Transmission, Shifter and linkage, Rev limiter, Exhaust manifolds ( I do have a set of manifolds though, which one side having been repaired, but the date code is not correct), Air cleaner and snorkel. I do have the Ram Air plate and intake scoops. The correct 15 inch wheels with ring and caps are gone. I do have 4 of the original center caps though. The title is current, clear, and the engine, though rusty and rough, is the correct engine with the vin clearly showing. You can read more specs and stories about the car via the earlier posts. There has been many member discussion about the 71 mach front end being welded on, the shock tower numbers gone etc... and that is great fodder. I have been restoring Mustangs as a hobby for over 35 years and if we owners and hobbyists didnt have our opinions, viewpoints and passion for this Iconic car, this hobby would be lame! I have garnered some history on the car from when it was sold at the Ford Dealership in Monticello Iowa, so historically there is no doubt it is a Boss 351. Hopefully there will be interest, but if not, then I will go a different route, maybe ebay or part it out, or who knows. Again, all offers are entertained, I won't get upset by any offer. I will be taking a huge bath on this for sure, but it won't be the first Stang that had done that to me !
Project is back on the market ! Read prior posts to get caught up. Feel free to contact me. Thanks Jon

[/quot

+++It appears that there is no interest in buying this Boss project as a whole, so I will start parting it out. If you need something let me know. (Will want to sell the vin matching engine , title, vin plate and dash piece with the rolling shell- to keep those together). All the other parts will be up for sale. I am not planning on sitting with this through another winter and paying storage fees. Make requests via email or p.m. and will get whatever info / pics you need and you can make offers on what you are wanting. Sorry to have to do it this way, I am a hobbyist and like to restore these cars, but this one seems to have me snake bit in trying to sell it whole, and if parting it out will help others with their restoration, then that's fine too. Thanks Jon

Hi,

Do you have pictures... i can't see pictures from the car or parts....??

THANKS,

Eddy

:thankyouyellow:

Hi, I didnt post anything, as I stated in the one paragraph-

"Make requests via email or p.m. and will get whatever info / pics you need and you can make offers on what you are wanting."

That way I will be certain to get pics of what you are interested in, give you a pretty exact description of condition, and save taking up room on the post sections.

Thanks Jon

Hi,

Do you have pictures... i can't see pictures from the car or parts....??

THANKS,

Eddy

:thankyouyellow:

Hi, I didnt post anything, as I stated in the one paragraph-

"Make requests via email or p.m. and will get whatever info / pics you need and you can make offers on what you are wanting."

That way I will be certain to get pics of what you are interested in, give you a pretty exact description of condition, and save taking up room on the post sections.

Thanks Jon
FYI- Will be putting this up for auction starting this weekend. There has been no interest from my listing here and I need to see it off to a new owner. The car is worth saving and restoring it. Marti report states that it is 1 of 4 with the paint and trim codes. (Dark green metallic -code C with white seats code 5W). Well anyway, I hope someone restores it. (And I tried to upload some pics to this post via Tinypic but nothing ever shows up, even though it says it went through onto the site)

Ok, Thanks for the help on the upload. I got one pic to take but the other ones, after downloading is over- this message comes up.

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 310339823

Varnish cache server

Anyway, here is the one pic that down loaded. Right rear quarter was "accordion--ed" when they kept taking a tractor and bumping the car out of the way of the barn door entrance.

1zq3o2c.jpg

And I tried to upload some pics to this post via Tinypic but nothing ever shows up, even though it says it went through onto the site)
You need to copy & paste into your post the link code it gives you on tiny pic AFTER it uploads

++++Sale pending++++ Will update post on Monday.

Back