Boss 351 trunk spatter finish

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
I just recently rec'd contact from a local southern Ontario guy who has a 71 Boss and is looking for some odds 'n ends plus advice on trunk finish.

I strongly encouraged him to join the 7173Mustangs.com site and check out the resources as well as ask questions.

So to my knowledge the trunk finish is the same for all the 71 'stangs (Dark-ish gray with white and some black spatter speckles.  Anyone have recent experience in finding a good quality product that matches original appearance?

I just recently rec'd contact from a local southern Ontario guy who has a 71 Boss and is looking for some odds 'n ends plus advice on trunk finish.

I strongly encouraged him to join the 7173Mustangs.com site and check out the resources as well as ask questions.

So to my knowledge the trunk finish is the same for all the 71 'stangs (Dark-ish gray with white and some black spatter speckles.  Anyone have recent experience in finding a good quality product that matches original appearance?
This is for me...any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you,

Steve

Thanks for all the input...Bob Wilson was kind enough to get the correct paint for me.
Curious at to the paint he recommended? 

Also, did he wind up selling his extremely nicely restored Boss 351? I know it was up for sale a few years back.

I am just down the road from you in the Smithville, Niagara area, working on a '71 J Code convertible restoration. I used Ed Wein in Niagara-on-the- lake to rebuild my original engine.

Thanks for all the input...Bob Wilson was kind enough to get the correct paint for me.

Also, did he wind up selling his extremely nicely restored Boss 351? I know it was up for sale a few years back.

I am just down the road from you in the Smithville, Niagara area, working on a '71 J Code convertible restoration. I used Ed Wein in Niagara-on-the- lake to rebuild my original engine.
My car was owned by a Smithville guy for 17 years and Wiens once did a distributor for me.  Wilson said the paint is a mix of Zolotone and something else...we didn't get into specifics because he is obviously an expert on Boss restorations (and on a side note, a really nice guy).  He did mention the possibility of putting his car up for auction with a VERY high reserve...but if any Boss 351 is worth it, Bob's is!

My car was owned by a Smithville guy for 17 years and Wiens once did a distributor for me.  Wilson said the paint is a mix of Zolotone and something else...we didn't get into specifics because he is obviously an expert on Boss restorations (and on a side note, a really nice guy).  He did mention the possibility of putting his car up for auction with a VERY high reserve...but if any Boss 351 is worth it, Bob's is!
I have spoken to many knowledgeable people over the years on the trunk paint issue for a '71 and unfortunately the answers vary across the board. This is one of those areas that you do your homework and then make the decision that is right for you. I believe he had his Boss up for sale a few years back at $135K, that is why I asked if it had sold. I know it is a nice car and the prices on these have risen the past few years.

Back