Brake Discrotor upgrade worth it ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had EBC Yellow Stuff on my 72 for a year. They work really well, don't fade on repeated application & don't seem to produce much dust relatively speaking. I have pulled the car down from nearly 100mph numerous times with them - my local strip has an early turn off otherwise you go to the end & turn around. I always take the early turn which means braking quite hard. I was thinking of a Wilwood kit previously but I'm now happy with what I have got.

Agree on the EBC Yellow pads. Had mine for 6 yrs and stopping performance is very impressive compared to basic off-the-shelf brands.

I have just slotted rotors with performance ceramic pads, and they seem to work well and very little dusting. I believe I got them from CJPP, and they weren't that much more than regular rotors. The braking difference is not very noticeable however, I would also say to get stainless braided lines for the front calipers, that stiffened my pedal up nicely. Next time around I am going to go back to standard rotors as the performance difference just doesn't seem to be there. Good luck!!

My two cents. As long as the drum or disc has the ability to slide the tire going to a bigger one does nothing except up the un sprung weight and hurt performance. If you are road racking and need them to last longer yes maybe. The slots are there to let the gas escape that is produced during repeated heavy hard braking. Like when you see the rotors on a race car glowing red. The holes will allow air to flow out I guess but if the turbine webbing in the center of the disc is open to the center I do not really see how that benefits. The holes do lighten the disc so less un sprung weight which is a benefit. You will actually get better gas mileage with drum brakes due to the springs keeping the shoes off the drum. Disc brakes drag all the time even with brakes off. We all know disc fade less in hard multiple braking but how many of us do that?

If I were drag racking I would use drum brakes for sure and the smallest I could get by with to get the weight off.

In NASCAR they jack the pads back from the rotor and the driver does not hit the brakes when qualifying until time to come in. You will always hear the spotter tell them to pump the brakes when they come in to push the pads back out. That can give him a few tenths better lap time due to brake pads not dragging.

One of the better choices to improve your discs is to send them to have cryogenic treatment. Will improve stopping, fade and wear. All racers use it that want to win.

David

Back