• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

brake light switch wire harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
My brake light switch went bad and when I went to replace it I found the harness in rough shape. I would like to replace it with one that in good condition if anyone has one off of a parts car. I don't see any aftermarket replacements.

John J

That is part of the main under dash wire harness not a separate little thing. Would trash a dash harness to get the couple wires. Complete harness you have to pull dash and they are not cheap if you can even find one. If you plug still good I would solder in new short piece of wire if needed. 

I am sure our resident electrical guy Midlife will have a suggestion. Anything to do with that switch is a pain for sure.

John J,  if you are talking about the connector and wire right at the switch, there are some repair choices. Ford did offer a repair"Pigtail".  There is one listed on E-Bay (D3OZ-13A411-A) that was originally released for the 73/ Gran Torino so it has a hard shell connector. Since it was a replacement for all previous brake light switch pigtails, the techs just cut the hardshell connector off and spliced it in. The Ford pigtail is discontinued and no longer available at the dealer.

There is another company I have used in the past that shows 14 of them in stock. http://www.greensalescompany.com/  They buy old obsolete/discontinued Ford parts from Ford dealers so what they sell is genuine Ford parts.

If you don't want to go that route, there is a repair pigtail sold at NAPA (just about everyone has a NAPA store in their town) you could probably use.  (Echlin EC- 66)

Unless you have damage further up in your wire harness, these should help you not have to dismantle your car to remove your main harness (A Royal PIA)!

D3OZ-13A411-A

ECHLIN EC-66

Secluff you are the man again. The  wire harness block that plugged in the switch was cracked in half when I replaced the switch last year, I did not want to butcher it so I put a few wire ties to hold it together. I was not happy with my repair. But at least had brake lights.

Thanks

John J

Back