Brake lines rear axle - how are they attached to the axle tube?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
I disassembled the rear axle of my '73 with competition suspension and saw something that the previous owner hacked up 

IMG_20210210_192800.jpg

He or somebody else welded a bracket to the rear brake hose and attached it to the bolt near the center section. Why he did this I do not know... The brake hose there is like the new one, the exact same length and as these 

703371_Bremsschlauch_hinten_71-73_1.jpg

But if I locate it to the bolt near the center section it will be much too short... The position by the axle vent bolt would be better. 

What's going on there? 

What is the right location of what? 

IMG_20210210_192741.jpg

It seems that I have the original vent bolt and the original bracket for the brake line... 

More pictures about the look before disassembling

IMG_20210210_192815.jpg

IMG_20210210_203916.jpg

I heard that the vent bolt might be used to hold the rear brake hose in place. Is that the right location for the flexible brake hose? As I removed the axle vent tube bolt it seemed to be too far bolted in, there were 1-2 metal flakings of the threads just below the the bottom of the vent bolt. And the bracket for the hard line only attached to the bolt near the center section? 

The best picture I have seen so far of an complete assembled axle is this: 

1467762882_o.jpg

But there the flexible hose is attached to the inner bolt, too, and the vent bolt has nothing attached to it. 

What's now the right spot for all? 

Have I put the flexible hose to the vent bolt? Or to the inner bolt - but the the hoses are too short... 

Hope somebody could catch in... 

But in any case I will replace the hard lines, too. They are bent too much... 

I just took my axle out yesterday to paint it. The small bracket that the flexible brake hose attached to is held onto the axle tube with the hollow vent bolt in the hole that's closest to the middle. 

This is on an 8 inch, so I don't know if it's any different than a 9, but hopefully these pictures help.

PSX_20210211_090356.jpg

PSX_20210211_090338.jpg

Yeah, something is wrong. This is my 9 inch out of my 71 Mach1. the pics may help as this is correct.

Possibly the axle is from a different vehicle, does it have the tag still on it? Also what engine and trans is in it and is the door data sticker still there, if so, can you tell us what the axle code is. 

IMG_1043 (2).JPG

I just took my axle out yesterday to paint it. The small bracket that the flexible brake hose attached to is held onto the axle tube with the hollow vent bolt in the hole that's closest to the middle. 

This is on an 8 inch, so I don't know if it's any different than a 9, but hopefully these pictures help.

View attachment 48665

View attachment 48666

Thank you for the pictures! 

An 8 inch is a little different in brake line routing than the 9 inch so I don't think it will be the same. But it would explain that some say the soft brake line would be attached to the vent bolt  :thumb:

Yeah, something is wrong. This is my 9 inch out of my 71 Mach1. the pics may help as this is correct.

Possibly the axle is from a different vehicle, does it have the tag still on it? Also what engine and trans is in it and is the door data sticker still there, if so, can you tell us what the axle code is. 

View attachment 48669
Geoff, 

I think you still know me a little bit...  :thumb:  

My axle is all original to that car, the tag confirms it. We both have discussed this topic a few days before in another thread...  :wrench:

My only concern is the misplaced soft brake line with the self-made bracket. 

On you car, do you originally have competition suspension, a rear sway bar and a 351C 4V? I think I am right, or not? 

I heard that this special type of bracket was used for 351C 4V cars with rear sway bars... Others may not... 

Could it be my only concern that if the axle is lowered from it's own weight from bringing up the car on the unibody that the soft brake line will be pulled too much, so the previous owner thought to relocate it? Because he mounted extra long shackles and air inflatable shocks on worn out rear leaf springs? 

A couple more pics. Vent tube installed.

NOTE: the tube and clip seen in this pic, has been correctly connected. 

View attachment 48670

View attachment 48671
Mmmh, nice and tasty  :thumb:

That's my goal! Thank you very much for the pics! 

For the rest - please see my previous post as an answer from your first post in this thread...! 

Geoff, 

I think you still know me a little bit...  :thumb:  

My axle is all original to that car, the tag confirms it. We both have discussed this topic a few days before in another thread...  :wrench:

My only concern is the misplaced soft brake line with the self-made bracket. 

On you car, do you originally have competition suspension, a rear sway bar and a 351C 4V? I think I am right, or not? 

I heard that this special type of bracket was used for 351C 4V cars with rear sway bars... Others may not... 

Could it be my only concern that if the axle is lowered from it's own weight from bringing up the car on the unibody that the soft brake line will be pulled too much, so the previous owner thought to relocate it? Because he mounted extra long shackles and air inflatable shocks on worn out rear leaf springs? 
 Hi Tim yes I forgot we'd been chatting. Yes, mine is a 4V with comp suspension and sway bar, but and I could be wrong, I don't think the brake tube is any different. I do know there are other flex tubes sold and not the same as the correct one. I just replaced mine, but I would need to check my invoices to find the part number, if that helps.

Hi Tim yes I forgot we'd been chatting. Yes, mine is a 4V with comp suspension and sway bar, but and I could be wrong, I don't think the brake tube is any different. I do know there are other flex tubes sold and not the same as the correct one. I just replaced mine, but I would need to check my invoices to find the part number, if that helps.
Geoff, 

yes, that would be great if you could check that soon! 

I think we both have the same routing and I suspect that the PO changed it slightly because of his modifications. 

If you would have a part number of the soft line that would be great to have so I could eliminate a false flexible hose! 

Edit: perhaps with a definite length of the hose... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff, 

yes, that would be great if you could check that soon! 

I think we both have the same routing and I suspect that the PO changed it slightly because of his modifications. 

If you would have a part number of the soft line that would be great to have so I could eliminate a false flexible hose! 

Edit: perhaps with a definite length of the hose... 
 Tim I bought mine some time ago, but only fitted it last year. It might take me some time to find the number. However, I just looked at NPD, website and the one they show for 71-73 rear flex hose is incorrect. The only catalog I have is out of date, but in that, they show the correct part, but the wrong part number. I could not find it on Summit's site either. I'll need a bit of time to get back to you. I can freeze my ass off and try to get a length measurement as the car is in my garage!! 

Tim I bought mine some time ago, but only fitted it last year. It might take me some time to find the number. However, I just looked at NPD, website and the one they show for 71-73 rear flex hose is incorrect. The only catalog I have is out of date, but in that, they show the correct part, but the wrong part number. I could not find it on Summit's site either. I'll need a bit of time to get back to you. I can freeze my ass off and try to get a length measurement as the car is in my garage!! 
You mean that hose? 

2282-3_20191206151245.jpg

It looks not right... 

I have bougth this one 

2204193__ra_p.jpg

It looks like all the hoses that are on the market and seems right such as this one 

703371_Bremsschlauch_hinten_71-73_1.jpg

The Ford parts book shows it as 10 3/4" long, number D1ZZ 2282-A.

Geoff, my 2020 NPD catalog shows the same part number (2282-3) and picture as shown on line. 

Edit: My paper catalog appears to have a picture of the correct one (2282-5) but doesn't show up online.

It looks like OMS and CJ show the correct one, but OMS is out of stock.

You mean that hose? 

It looks not right... 

I have bougth this one 

It looks like all the hoses that are on the market and seems right such as this one 

I was unable to locate my receipt, but the only one NPD list is like the one in top pic and is wrong. The last one looks correct. I'll check mine, take a pic and let you know the length.

The Ford parts book shows it as 10 3/4" long, number D1ZZ 2282-A.

Geoff, my 2020 NPD catalog shows the same part number (2282-3) and picture as shown on line. 
 Don, I only have a 2019 catalog and it shows a pic of the correct hose as 2282-5, but does not list it. The one I have has the ribbing around the hose. 

Tim, I think I have just figured out what's going on. I was looking at your build thread posts and in one picture, it shows the exhaust pipe as the axle is still in the car. I think the reason why the PO moved the hose bracket is because the exhaust pipe is in the WRONG place. It clearly would hit the hose connector on the axle. If you look at mine, it is close as well (and something I need to check for clearance) but there is some space between the pipe and bracket, red arrow. You probably need to look at your exhaust system set-up. 

IMG_1464_LI.jpg

IMG_1678.JPG

Geoff, 

I can't thank you enough, thank you very very much for your efforts! Awesome and fabulous  :thankyouyellow:

That could be the reason - the car had air shocks, some aftermarket springs, extra long shackles and 275/60/15 rear tires. When feathering in on a deep wave on the street it seemed to touch the brake hard line. Because of this the part before the nut was flatted! 

I measured the length of the flexible hose and it is almost 11" so it has the required length. 

That confirms your thesis and since I will replace all parts with OE-style parts (rear leaf springs, shocks, shackles etc.) all will be fine when I will the hoses attach like on your car car where they have been originally. 

Btw: 

It seems that your flexible hose almost touches the exhaust pipe and the upper hard line was also touched by it one time. Perhaps you have to check that for clearance too before something fails...  :thumb:

Geoff, 

I can't thank you enough, thank you very very much for your efforts! Awesome and fabulous  :thankyouyellow:

That could be the reason - the car had air shocks, some aftermarket springs, extra long shackles and 275/60/15 rear tires. When feathering in on a deep wave on the street it seemed to touch the brake hard line. Because of this the part before the nut was flatted! 

I measured the length of the flexible hose and it is almost 11" so it has the required length. 

That confirms your thesis and since I will replace all parts with OE-style parts (rear leaf springs, shocks, shackles etc.) all will be fine when I will the hoses attach like on your car car where they have been originally. 

Btw: 

It seems that your flexible hose almost touches the exhaust pipe and the upper hard line was also touched by it one time. Perhaps you have to check that for clearance too before something fails...  :thumb:
 Tim, thank you for your "pat-on-the-back", but this is what the site is all abut, helping each other.

No doubt you have read my previous thread about Eaton Detroit Springs "An interesting and informative video from Eaton...." Believe me, if you're able to get them shipped into Germany, without doubt, buy Eaton springs. NONE of the other manufactures actually state what material they make their springs from. SAE 5160 is the best steel for making good springs AND they will be from original prints so they fit.  Also buy their U bolts and I think they have shackles. NPD list a 1" longer shackle as being from Eaton should you need them.  Because I went with  bigger anti-sway bars, I bought Eaton's Boss 351 springs at 153lb spring rate. Anyway enough on that, more later if needed.. 

Going back to your tail pipes, (and mine) I don't think that either aftermarket premade or custom made, took the axle's up-down movement into account. I certainly need to have my exhaust shop look at mine again in spring. As for the flex hose, it actually is further away than it looks in that pic. I have to wonder if, when the axle was designed, they didn't take the dual exhaust properly into account. That mount position could easily have been a couple of inches outboard.

All the best moving forward Tim,

Tim, thank you for your "pat-on-the-back", but this is what the site is all abut, helping each other.

No doubt you have read my previous thread about Eaton Detroit Springs "An interesting and informative video from Eaton...." Believe me, if you're able to get them shipped into Germany, without doubt, buy Eaton springs. NONE of the other manufactures actually state what material they make their springs from. SAE 5160 is the best steel for making good springs AND they will be from original prints so they fit.  Also buy their U bolts and I think they have shackles. NPD list a 1" longer shackle as being from Eaton should you need them.  Because I went with  bigger anti-sway bars, I bought Eaton's Boss 351 springs at 153lb spring rate. Anyway enough on that, more later if needed.. 

Going back to your tail pipes, (and mine) I don't think that either aftermarket premade or custom made, took the axle's up-down movement into account. I certainly need to have my exhaust shop look at mine again in spring. As for the flex hose, it actually is further away than it looks in that pic. I have to wonder if, when the axle was designed, they didn't take the dual exhaust properly into account. That mount position could easily have been a couple of inches outboard.

All the best moving forward Tim,
Geoff, 

thank you for your input. For me any help is not taken for granted, so I am thankful about it and it helps very much a guy who os willing to set alive an old Muscle Car on the European continent. There are not many around and still less people with knowledge... 

I don't know about my springs because I have the new ones laying around for a while but they should be some quality ones which have 4 Leaves and are a little bit stiffer than the standard ones, but OEM-oriented. I bought them from a local supplier though so we will see... I also have some new OE rear shackles and u-bolts, good rubber bushings, KYB-shocks rear and front, rear oe sway bar with new bushings, front sway bar upgraded up to 1 1/8 and some 1" lower springs in the front. All front suspension parts will be changed to quality US-Moog and Pro-Forged parts and some NOS. I am looking forward how it will turn out. It will be much more better than now and I hope the stance will be ok. By changing all the upper mentioned parts I will look over the exhaust piping though. I think the position could be optimized, too  :thumb:

Back