brake rattle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang grande
i was just wanting to know if you guys in the US have a contact for me to find this part, I've tried in Australia and i cant get any help its used on the ford bronco front brakes also but was fitted from ford as a brake pad rattle fix BrakePadClip.jpg

my 72 mustang has a brake rattle on the front due to to much play in the pad.( it goes away when i rest my foot on the brake pedal and fixing the problem needs this clip I'm after 2 clips

D4FZ 2B164 B this is the original ford number but i cant find them in Australia and ford Australia don't have a listing can anyone help me?

BP4306_thm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Try www.rockauto.com. I'm almost certain they have them.

Chuck
Thank you they have a clip but looks nothing like what i need?
I don't know why the PN is a D4 however, I did a PN search and Dennis Carpenter reproduction parts says they make it/have it. You may have to purchase through a retail vendor(Mac's, Dearborn Classics, NPD, etc.)

thanks for all the help guys i did a little ringing around and had no luck then i got bored and did a search on eBay for the 1000th time and bingo i found a bag of them for $16 AU here in Australia so all my problem are solved. once again thanks

ill be fitting them in the morning they just arrived in the mail, ill take some pics and place them on here.

i'm interested to see if anyone has front pads like mine because when i look up pads for 72 mustang they look nothing like mine?

OK i fitted the clips and the noise is finally gone.

but i just wanted to show you all my front brake pads to see if they are the same as every other 1972? , because when ever i look at a parts catalog the pads for a 71-73 look nothing like mine the closest i can find is ford bronco and 1974 mustang but not 100% the same.

does any one have pics of their front calipers and pads for me to look at? DSC01196.JPGDSC01187.JPG

does anyone understand the part number on the pad ? means nothing in Australia

DSC01199.JPG is this the original brakes for a 1972

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are not the correct brakes. The picture is not of my car but from a concours driven Mustang Monthly magazine 1972 Mach 1. The picture is better if you go to the MM site and search on Lazarus or Turning Yellow.

Good Luck,

Chuck

72 front suspension.jpg

The number decodes as 1974, Foreign, service part, brake clip, second version. I did find it listed on a site catering to vintage Lincoln owners. The part was probably used on several vehicles.

Chuck

so my brakes are original ? i compared my build sheet to a lot of them on this site and my letters are different to all others? so its possible they are original right?
Was your car originally an export car? Is it a 73? If so do you know the build date? While it just my opinion, I can't imagine why, even for export, Ford would but different brakes on the car. Lights maybe, left hand drive maybe, but brakes I can't imagine. Having said all of that, car companies often do strange things that don't make sense to me.

Chuck

so my brakes are original ? i compared my build sheet to a lot of them on this site and my letters are different to all others? so its possible they are original right?
Was your car originally an export car? Is it a 73? If so do you know the build date? While it just my opinion, I can't imagine why, even for export, Ford would but different brakes on the car. Lights maybe, left hand drive maybe, but brakes I can't imagine. Having said all of that, car companies often do strange things that don't make sense to me.

Chuck
my car is a 1972 vin car ,but was built in sep 71 and it was imported into Australia by myself a year ago from California.

I am just speculating but, it sounds like for some reason, a previous owner installed different calipers on the car. Perhaps the piston size is larger and they thought it would improve the braking with over sized tires. I wish I had a better answer to give you.

Chuck

Not sure what yours is, but I'm pretty sure the 68 to 73 Mustangs with disc brakes (single piston) all use the same pad and caliper. Check this thread as it has some close-up pics of my brakes for you to compare: 73 Mustang Disc Brake Photos

Back