Brakes

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
This is more of a do you want the car to brake a little better, than is it advised kind of question. The rear drums work fine for normal driving, and even some spirited driving, but obviously drums have their limitations. If all you do is drive the car occasionally on the weekends to a car show, or a pleasure cruise, I see no reason to ditch the drums, but if you occasionally race the car, the rear discs will definitely be a noticeable improvement, plus they look cool with modern wheels :)

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
This is more of a do you want the car to brake a little better, than is it advised kind of question. The rear drums work fine for normal driving, and even some spirited driving, but obviously drums have their limitations. If all you do is drive the car occasionally on the weekends to a car show, or a pleasure cruise, I see no reason to ditch the drums, but if you occasionally race the car, the rear discs will definitely be a noticeable improvement, plus they look cool with modern wheels :)
+1 Agree

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Coupe. 302cid 2v.

[url=https://ibb.co/1vNBgXG][img]https://i.ibb.co/tm6nG2p/FCBA4-E5-F-0-FD5-44-AE-A0-EF-A97-D88876649.jpg[/img][/url]
That’s my plan is for more aggressive driving and taking it to the track but also driving it to and from work etc

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
This all will boil down to your budget, if your budget allows for a rear disc brake conversion, I see no reason why you should not do it. The only question, if you have a limited budget, is if those funds could be better used somewhere else.

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
Most cost effective upgrade you can make is better friction materials. Hawk, Porterfield & EBC make pads and shoes that fit our cars.

Reaction score
My Car
My all time favorite vehicle is our 1969 Shelby GT500
I agree re: if using it for street driving, leave the drum brakes in place - they are fine. If you are racing get all disc. But, if you do go 4 wheel disc be sure to remove the Residual Pressure Check Valve from the master cylinder's rear fluid outlet port (under the brass seat), otherwise you will have rear dic brakes that will always have some pressure applied to them. That would result in overheated rear brake pads/rotor, rear brakes wearing quickly, and reduced performance.