Bread - Clutch pilot bushing removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needed to replace the clutch pilot bushing in my 67. Previously I would drill a couple of small holes into the old bushing and thread some bolts into it and alternate a slide hammer back and forth to remove it. It was a lot of hassle in my opinion. I spoke with a couple of friends here in the mustang club and got a couple of suggestions.

Axle grease packed into the hole

Bread packed into the hole

I thought the axle grease sounded to be a messy route and grease cost more than a loaf of bread.

I took the inner portion of white bread slices. The crusts just seemed a little thicker than needed and the dog enjoyed the snack while in the garage with me. I took the inner portion and tore it into smaller pieces and stuffed them into the centering hole on the bushing. Soon you will need to take a large punch or socket the same size as the hole to start packing the bread in. I used a metric socket to get me close, but not to close to the size of the hole. Useing the socket and a small hammer to compress the bread in started to force the bushing out. Three pieces of bread later the bushing was out. Cleanup was a breeze taking a regular screwdriver and pulling the bread plug out of the crank. Worked like a charm and thought I would share with others.

View attachment 23959

View attachment 23960

Last edited by a moderator:
Back