Buck Tag Decoding and Info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's your Buck Tag located?

• 71 Drivers Side

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 71 Passenger's Side

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 72 Drivers Side

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 72 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 73 Drivers Side

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • 73 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
That site is good but is not complete. I don't know of a resource that shows everything. That site is pretty good though. Some of the info applies to our cars, some doesn't. The way I "found" that info is through looking at as many buck tags as I can and comparing that to the features on the car. This is one of my favorite hobbies within the hobby. ;)

The problem with that webpage - it lists codes for multiple years of production

I have learned Ford sometimes changed these codes for different years of production! -And then again even within one year!

And they could also differ for assembly plant location! I am just hoping ours are relatively simple.

Don is right - this is still a gray area of knowledge concerning our cars. It is fun to research and learn but can be very challenging!

Ray

There's a book Kevin Marti wrote called The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook, 1965-1973 Models. In it, he explains engine tags, buck tags, axle tags, tag-you're-it and Tagamet.

The Tagbook is incomplete. It only has part if the information. Marti is good to the 7123s but not that good. ;)

Hi need some help decoding my 1973 Mach 1's buck tag:

3F05QXXXXXX 63R 0524

5T PB A

PW BTRAC

DE

I've been seen in some posts that AC means air conditioning but what does just an A mean? Thanks in advance

Hi need some help decoding my 1973 Mach 1's buck tag:

3F05QXXXXXX   63R  0524

5T    PB   A

PW          BTRAC

DE

I've been seen in some posts that AC means air conditioning but what does just an A mean? Thanks in advance
It may be that it is a incomplete stamping .....  Maybe for "A/C" or "A" typically can represent the color black. Maybe for back vinyl top on a hardtop or black convertible top.

I may have posted these in the past I did not go through all of the 9 tabs to check.

The one on the car is my 73 Mach 1 that has pretty much every option unless you switch like from 4 speed to auto or from AM/8 Track to AM/FM or just AM.

So some things on this car that might show up are as follows.

Fold down rear seat and space saver spare.

Dual racing mirrors.

Rear spoiler.

Air Cond.

P.S.

PDB

Tilt Column

Gauges

Aluminum Wheels

Vinyl roof

Convenience Group

Comp. Suspension

Rear window defroster

Console

AM / 8 Track

Power Windows

NASA hood

Hood Locks

It is my understanding that the Buck Tag had the information for any parts that were welded on to the chassis or any parts that required any special holes or nuts were covered. Like the holes for the spoiler, nut inserts for the mirrors, holes in doors and A posts for door speakers, correct spare tire mount, drain hole and holes for air conditioner, cowl, firewall etc.

The other tag is off my 73 yellow vert that I think came with white top. Not a very clear picture for sure but all I have.

David

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am in Australia and have had my 72 Mach 1 Q Code for almost a year. I just wanted to get some info re my Buck Tag. I have a Marti Report for it and can decode the Vin but just need some help with the Buck Tag.

Line 3     QM      EC   BTrac

Line 4      BO       DE

It also has a 3 on its side at the bottom of the Left hand Corner and a 3 at the top to the left of the Vin???

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

20210314_213137.jpg

@Don C created a spreadsheet of buck tag codes, the file is in the link below. 

The BO (blackout) QM (quarter moldings / lower body bright moldings) and BTRAC (both sides racing mirror) were part of the Mach 1 model. DE is dual exhaust associated with the 351-4V Q-code engine, and EC is the emissions controls. The tags told the workers in the body shop what extra holes and fasteners to put into the basic body. The DE would tell them to use the rear valance with cutouts. EC may have been for the electronic distributor modulator system. It was typically mounted on the passenger side interior under the cowl, and would require the mounting location for the temp sensor on the passenger A-pillar and holes in the firewall for the vacuum hoses. 

Here is my buck tag off of a 1973 Mach 1 in Gold Glow, Ginger Deluxe Interior, black 3/4 vinyl roof, 4-speed, 351C 4V, 3:50 open rear, power front disc brakes, tilt steering wheel, dual exhaust, competition supension, folddown rear seat, power steering, rear bumper guards, door edge guards, rear windwo defrost, interior decor group, convenience group, extra cooling option etc. And on top of it it is a "T5"! 

Concerning that much options there isn't much on that buck tag... 

But for Don's spreadsheet I can add 

T5 = T5 (German export) 

Black = Black Vinyl roof 

DSC_4886.JPG

View attachment 3F05Q219013_Marti_Report.pdf

Here is my buck tag off of a 1973 Mach 1 in Gold Glow, Ginger Deluxe Interior, black 3/4 vinyl roof, 4-speed, 351C 4V, 3:50 open rear, power front disc brakes, tilt steering wheel, dual exhaust, competition supension, folddown rear seat, power steering, rear bumper guards, door edge guards, rear windwo defrost, interior decor group, convenience group, extra cooling option etc. And on top of it it is a "T5"! 

Concerning that much options there isn't much on that buck tag... 

But for Don's spreadsheet I can add 

T5 = T5 (German export) 

Black = Black Vinyl roof 

View attachment 49516

View attachment 49517
Thank you for the information, I updated the files.

This is some old  (and very informative)  buck tag info!!!!  Just thought I'd bump it to the top for the newer members.  

Ray

Back