buck tag: how to read?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbrian

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang
All,

Here is the buck tag for my convertible. Per the marti report the mustang came with a decore group but will this tag say if my car came with stripes? If someone could interpret it or show me the way to a site that shows how it reads that would be great.

Thank you IMG_0203.jpg

Member Don C has taken on the project of compiling and publishing a spreadsheet with the buck tag codes. Latest version is V6.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/ford-code-numbers.33536/
The purpose of the tag was to instruct the body shop on any special holes or specific panels required for the specific vehicle.

BO indicates "blackout", which is the body code for the Decor Group. Decor Group would need the holes and studs for the lower body trim, to apply the contrasting color and masking before body color, and to use valances that were painted in black or argent. It would also indicate to drill the doors for the racing mirror RivNuts.

AC - air conditioning - this would indicate which firewall and cowl to use.

PB- power disc brakes - IIRC it would eliminate the filler panel below the master cylinder.

EC - Emissions Controls, which would be a hole for the thermal sensor in the passenger A-pillar, and a hole through the firewall for the vacuum hoses and wiring.

CM & CR I'm not familiar with.

CR could be chrome rocker trim. CM maybe something to do with the console, or with the convertible top?

So if BO is "black out" what would have been blacked out?
Thank you for the link .

Blackout would be the lower body blackout treatment that was part of the Decor Group. Using a pic of your car, it's the lower black paint treatment. Everything below the lower body line was black, including both front and rear valances. If also included the bright trim at the paint line, which was deleted if the hockey stick stripes were optioned. Decor Group for '72 also included the urethane front bumper, black honeycomb grille and body color fender extensions and dual racing mirrors - items sourced from the Mach 1

1652305708166.png

Blackout would be the lower body blackout treatment that was part of the Decor Group. Using a pic of your car, it's the lower black paint treatment. Everything below the lower body line was black, including both front and rear valances. If also included the bright trim at the paint line, which was deleted if the hockey stick stripes were optioned. Decor Group for '72 also included the urethane front bumper, black honeycomb grille and body color fender extensions and dual racing mirrors - items sourced from the Mach 1

View attachment 63417
Awesome. Thank you very much for the information. I have always wondered about this.I have since returned the original steel wheels and hubcaps to the car. 67311686355__A4AC23D5-50CE-48A5-B950-CBA5840B331B.jpg

Back