buck tag: how to read?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code convert., 351C 2V, FMX, 9in., Ram air, Pwr Steering, Pwr Disc brakes, air-conditioning, 15" sport wheels, Ivy Glo w/white deluxe interior.
Good morning all!

From what we've found, the buck tag is as varied as family marinara recipes in Little Italy! The door tag for our car was painted over and we're trying to find a way to clean it without damage. We can appreciate the use of a Marti report to identify things and will do so in the future but it's an expense we just can't budget for right now. Given the way gas is climbing, thought it would be a good opportunity to start some resto work and could use the assist here.

Our buck tag is as follows, so any help in decoding would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the help

Buck Tag.jpg

convertible (3).jpg

Last edited:
Quick add-on question;

Does anyone know what the 3 random letter stamps are from? There's a B, K stamped on the bottom left and right` (respectively) and H at the top right adjacent to the first line of numbers/vin. They are all odd angles and/or upside-down

Heard a rumor these are dealer added option codes but I've never confirmed it in the +40 years since I heard it. Not for lack of effort but there's too many ways to phrase the question in a web search

IIRC, they are inspection stamps. You'll also see shapes punched out of some tags.

Dealer options installed after delivery will appear on an addendum to the window sticker or the customer sales invoice, not on any factory documentation or tags.

Does Marti make new buck tags? I only have about an 1/2 inch piece remaining of mine on the radiator support. I removed it when I did the recent work and would like to have something new and complete to put back.

Good morning all!

From what we've found, the buck tag is as varied as family marinara recipes in Little Italy! The door tag for our car was painted over and we're trying to find a way to clean it without damage. We can appreciate the use of a Marti report to identify things and will do so in the future but it's an expense we just can't budget for right now. Given the way gas is climbing, thought it would be a good opportunity to start some resto work and could use the assist here.

Our buck tag is as follows, so any help in decoding would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the help

View attachment 64396

View attachment 64395
Here is my tag with descriptions for each option

Attachments

• 20220618_164102.jpg
    20220618_164102.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 12
Back