Buck Tag

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Recently received some feedback that the buck tag for 72 should be located on the right side of the core support.  Everything I have observed and researched to this point indicated left side of the core support.  I would appreciate feedback on known original placement of the buck tag.

Good point on assembly plant.  I understand all 72-73's to have rolled out of Dearborn correct?
Dearborn was the only plant in 73. Here is a May built 1973 Vert with the tag on the right side. All the 73s I have owned had them on the right side.

My 72 was on the driver's side when I took the car apart, so that is where it is now. I know the car had never been apart before. As I recall all 72-73 Mach 1s were built in Dearborn. Have you asked Jeff S. on the concours site? Chuck

My 72 was on the driver's side when I took the car apart, so that is where it is now. I know the car had never been apart before. As I recall all 72-73 Mach 1s were built in Dearborn. Have you asked Jeff S. on the concours site? Chuck
I have not reached out to Jeff S. yet.  Looking for known examples from the 71-73 community first.  I will reach out on the concourse group with feedback gathered here.  Thank you

My 71 convertible from Dearborn is on the passenger side.  There was a long discussion on this awhile back.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-buck-tag-decoding-and-info?highlight=Buck+tag
Thank you for connecting back to the prior thread.  I am gathering that 71 is leaning towards passenger (Right) and 72-73 leaning towards driver (Left) side in the poll in that thread.  I am going to reach out through the Concourse forum and see if there is a similar concurrence amongst the judging community.

My 71 has it on the passenger core support. But it also has one on the passenger side shock tower support brace. Is this kinda odd ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Concourse forum feedback coincides with what we have gathered here. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Nance, first reporting of one being on the shock tower brace that I have heard. Very interesting. Is it the same as the core support mounted tag?

The Concourse forum feedback coincides with what we have gathered here.  Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Nance, first reporting of one being on the shock tower brace that I have heard.  Very interesting.  Is it the same as the core support mounted tag?
To be honest..., I put little faith in that forum when it comes to the '71-3 car's... left it a long time ago.

The Concourse forum feedback coincides with what we have gathered here.  Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Nance, first reporting of one being on the shock tower brace that I have heard.  Very interesting.  Is it the same as the core support mounted tag?
To be honest..., I put little faith in that forum when it comes to the '71-3 car's... left it a long time ago.
I understand.  I wanted to reach out to this community first for the feedback from what I view as the most knowledgeable 71-73 community available.  I took everyone's feedback here to compare to what is provided by the Concourse group.  Hopefully we can provide some fact based knowledge to the Concourse group and improve their understanding.

Back