Build up 302 or drop a 460

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 460 has a Weiand intake and a 650 cfm 1406 carb; an HEI distributor, and everything else is stock.
This motor with a C6 transmission is now sitting in my garage. I think I have made up my mind now...hehe. It only cost $50 more than what I sold the early 80s 460 for.

It comes with motor mounts and the insulator, but they might be slightly different than the ones in the Crites kit.

Unfortunately the C6 is the long tailshaft version and came from a column shifter car. Can the long tailshaft version be used in my Mustang by modifying where the crossmember bolts to the bottom of the car, or do I have to convert it to the short tailshaft?
You will need to mod or custom build a trans cross member and the driveshaft will obviously end up being shorter.

I was able to use a column shift trans with an FMX floor shifter by utilizing a universal shift lever from TCI, some threaded rod and heim joints. If your floor shifter is from a C4 or C6 application it may be possible to do the same but the neutral safety switch may complicate things a bit.

Not that you asked but if the intake is a Weiand Stealth my advice would be to sell it or trade it for a regular Edelbrock Performer intake.

This 460 has a Weiand intake and a 650 cfm 1406 carb; an HEI distributor, and everything else is stock.
This motor with a C6 transmission is now sitting in my garage. I think I have made up my mind now...hehe. It only cost $50 more than what I sold the early 80s 460 for.

It comes with motor mounts and the insulator, but they might be slightly different than the ones in the Crites kit.

Unfortunately the C6 is the long tailshaft version and came from a column shifter car. Can the long tailshaft version be used in my Mustang by modifying where the crossmember bolts to the bottom of the car, or do I have to convert it to the short tailshaft?
Not that you asked but if the intake is a Weiand Stealth my advice would be to sell it or trade it for a regular Edelbrock Performer intake.
I have a C4 right now, but adapting the shifter sounds complicated.

It's a Weiand 8012 intake. I am not sure if it will fit under the hood. Is that why you suggest swapping it for a Performer?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have a C4 right now, but adapting the shifter sounds complicated.

It's a Weiand 8012 intake. I am not sure if it will fit under the hood. Is that why you suggest swapping it for a Performer?

In addition to the potential clearance issue it is not the best choice of intake for a mild street driven build.

I was contemplating somewhat the same ideas on a 1971 Mach 1 302 3 speed manual car I was going to buy until a purchased a 1973 Mach 1 "Q" code. If staying original looking is your stroke the little beast to 331 or 347. The extra cubic inches alone is enough for seat of the pants power. If changing the motor out is a better option for you I would not lean toward a 460 but 351W. As many have described previously it is much more of a plug and play deal. Personally if I were going this route I would choose a newer style roller block which will aid power later by changing sticks. Not to mention later you can safely make big block power with a stroked pump gas 351W.

I picked up a short tailshaft small block C6 for free on New Year's weekend. I believe the tailshaft is interchangeable, correct?

I know nothing about automatic transmissions. Is swapping the tailshaft something relatively simple or something I should take it to a transmission shop for?

Some pics:

14359fc84e74c798dcc58f2330cb6348.jpg

dac2680dd1d2e2046d0f39367ea9c203.jpg

42374490de4903b9120c94eac08a9ad9.jpg

Put a 460 and don't look back!

I love mine, Easy swap, call a store on the internet their name is Crites they sell engine mounts and information needed to do the swap. It's not cheep like header, intake, and carb on a 302. 302s are nice motors to build inexpensive 350-400 HP but with twice the money you can have a mild built 460 and get an easy 450-500 HP. My Big Block has lots of aluminum total car weight is 3000 LB, I auto crossed it at Cruisin for a cure and did just as good against all the small blocks. Also ET 1/4 mile in 12s.

This is what I've been thinking about dropping under the hood. Maybe have them upgrade to all forged bottom end.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/ford-crate-engines/products/ford-306-base

HP & Torque: 370 HP / 350 FT LBS

Compression Ratio: 9.5:1

Aluminum Heads

Hypereutectic Pistons

Roller Cam

Cast Steel Crank

BLOCK:

Hand picked seasoned blocks 

Square and parallel decked

Align honed main bearing bore

Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness

Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

ROTATING ASSEMBLY:Cast steel crankshaft

Rods w/ 150,000 psi bolts

Hypereutectic pistons

Hastings Moly rings

Balanced rotating assembly

High volume oil pump

Hydraulic roller camshaft

Heavy duty double roller timing set

CYLINDER HEADS:BluePrint Performance Aluminum

58-60cc Chamber, 190cc runner

Hardened retainers and springs

2.02 swirl polished intake valves

1.60 swirl polished exhaust valves

BP Aluminum Head Part# HP9009

CAM SPECS:Cam Type: Roller

.543 Intake .554 Exhaust

218 Intake / 226 Exhaust duration @ .050 - 112 degree lobe separation

IGNITION TIMING:34 degrees at 3500 RPM

ALSO INCLUDES:

Valve covers

Painted oil pan

Brass freeze plugs

Dyno test results shipped with engine

WARRANTY:30 month / 50,000 mile

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as transmission goes, this is my choice

https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/ford/aod/level-4-aod-ford/

This is a high performance non-electronic 4R70W transmission. This is accomplished by placing all of the internal parts of an electronic 4R70W or AODE into a non-electronic AOD case. Now you can have an AODE or 4R70W transmission in your 1993 and older Mustang without all the expense of an after market computer and related wiring. This is an easy drop-in direct replacement. Simply remove your AOD transmission and install the A O Dominator. This is a highly modified transmission and torque converter. This package deal comes with a 2200 / 2500 converter stall speed (#16) (non-lock-up only), but can be ordered with any stall speed you need. Some of the features of the A O Dominator are, a two inch wide Carbon Fiber overdrive band, mechanical diode with Spiral “Plus” Ring Kit instead of the stock roller clutch that is prevalent to breakage and a high performance Superior Posi Shift Pac. This transmission has a 4R70W wide ratio gear set, 2.84 ratio first gear (15% lower than an AOD or AODE), 1.55 ratio second gear (5% lower than an AOD or AODE), non-lock-up torque converter, extra hard intermediate shaft (a must for high horse power motors), the Superior “A+” overdrive billet servo for added holding power and 8 clutches in the direct clutch drum (Alto Red Eagle Power Pack). This is 33% more than a stock 4R70W transmission, and the list goes on and on. This is a great transmission for towing and 4WD use.[/color]

Wait no longer, now you can have the baddest AOD / 4R70W on the planet. No trade-in needed on this one. This transmission is for motors having up to 750 horse power. Add torque converter upgrades if needed. Call 1-888-2012066 to place an order or ask questions. We have this exact AOD transmission in hundreds of 1965 to 1973 Mustangs and other Fords. Add our conversion kit to your order for $575.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back