bumper questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaheenk

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe
This is for the 73 owners, do you know if the 71-72 bumper brackets fit our rear bumpers. I hate the look of the 73 bumper which is a whole 2inches away from the body ? Would it be possible to use these or should i just cut and weld my current brackets. 

On the front bumper , is there an insert that goes into the bumper I seem to be missing a piece. I have the 2 bolts on the inside and what looks to be the bumper frame with the rubber bit around. But cant see how this would bolt to the bumper mounts (long arms with rectangular front) 

I have the 71-72 brackets on mine, so they will fit. When I got my 73 Mach 1, someone had already changed the bumper out to the 71-72 style. Because of this, I also have 71-72 fenders because the bumper sets at a different location. If you are changing over, then you will probably need new fenders as well. Hopefully someone with more experience on the swap will chime in for your other questions. Good luck.

Tom

Thanks Tom, do you mean front or rear bumpers?
Rear brackets are a direct swap. You will have to contend with the end caps and filler panel though. 

Front bumper from a 71-72 can be swapped over to a '73 with a little fab work to the 71-72 brackets. You'd need bumper, support brace and the arms. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear brackets are a direct swap. You will have to contend with the end caps and filler panel though. 

Front bumper from a 71-72 can be swapped over to a '73 with a little fab work to the 71-72 brackets. You'd need bumper, support brace and the arms. 
I was under the impression that 71-72 would need fenders work too. TBH I would rather go this route then try to find the missing bit on the 73. 

Here is what I have  

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-09 at 16.15.51 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-09 at 16.15.51 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-09 at 16.15.51 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-09 at 16.15.51.jpeg

I've made the swap and @Robsweden too (he posted nice picts not a month ago)

We both kept the 73 fenders and extensions. You need a 71-72 front valance, 71-72 bumper brackets and a 71-72 bumper.
On the fab side there is 1 or 2 things necessary:

1: the must do, is to modify the 71-72 bracket to adjust the height of the bumper

2: optional. The 73 grille and chrome bumper do let a space, which I did not like, so I made a part that fits on the central bumper bracket and goes into the bumper to get a clean look

Going all 71-72 you add to the list above fenders and extensions. No fab required.
I would go this way if the extra costs of fenders and extension isn't a problem.

For the rear, the rubber extensions, the bracket and plate go out. New 71-72 bracket in. As @Hemikiller said, you need cut the part of the extensions that goes into the rubber, fill the 2 holes ment to hold the rubber extension from the inside and fine tune the fitment quarter/bumper.

I don't recall the titles to search but at least 2 threads are on this forum with details about the bracket mods and the plate in between if you keep your 73 fenders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back