C4 Crossmember

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Greetings fellow Mustang owners,

Recently started working on my (new to me) 71 fastback.

Door sticker says trans code is W which should translate to a c4 unit.

It does in fact have a C4 installed, however this is a case filled unit

and the shift linkage looks to be from a column shift and the bell housing has threaded holes for cable shift and the bell attaches thru the pump bolts.

I am fine with all of this (trans was recently rebuilt by a reputable builder)

MY main concern is the FMX crossmember, when I did some checking the trans was cocked to one side. rear mount bolt on the right was resting against the crossmember, used a 1/2'' allen screw in place of the bolt and relieved the crossmember for the time being (no intention of actually driving the car in this condition.

Cannot find a part number for the correct crossmember or anyone that advertises one for the 71-73 mustang.

other oddities include a fmx shifter (neutral switch in the shifter housing)

driveshaft appears to be correct for a C4

Q: did this car come with a C4 and someone change to a FMX and then back again to a C4 ?

any information on parts availability would be greatly appreciated.

Boilermaster

The 4 leg crossmember is the correct piece for a C-4. The three leg is FMX/C-6 and doesn't place the transmission properly. I may have a spare C-4 piece, shoot me a PM as a reminder to look.

My guess on the FMX shifter was probably to fix the lack of a NS switch on the trans case.

BTW, I remember seeing somewhere that the correct C-4 floor shift bellcrank is now being reproduced 0 if you wanted to go there.

I just picked one of those crossmembers up from Perogie Ent (609-448-1684) for my 4 speed conversion. Wasn't expensive.

I should have the C4 crossmember laying around as well after doing my trans swap. Might be extremely oily though :)

After further inspection, I may need a different shift linkage for the C4 transmission , cleaned up what I have (D1ZA 7340) and I believe this is for FMX.

It would appear that I need D1AZ-7340-CA , can anyone confirm this ?

Also do shifters for a C-4 and FMX differ as far as the linkage is concerned , I am good with having the switch in the shifter as opposed to being on the transmission , still looking for a crossmember btw.

Boilermaster

After further inspection, I may need a different shift linkage for the C4 transmission , cleaned up what I have (D1ZA 7340) and I believe this is for FMX.

It would appear that I need D1AZ-7340-CA , can anyone confirm this ?

Also do shifters for a C-4 and FMX differ as far as the linkage is concerned , I am good with having the switch in the shifter as opposed to being on the transmission , still looking for a crossmember btw.

Boilermaster
Found the C4 xmember and the -CA shift rod you are looking for. Shoot me a pm and we can figure out the details.

1443373156554-1990602758.jpg

Back